PDA

View Full Version : help needed

silversly
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
hi there, can anyone assist me? i tried to connect an electric fuel pump to key ignition switch on the control arm of my 1985 120 johnston vro. i seem to have created a short and might have blown a fuse. the hour meter and digital tacho have stopped working and the engine is not getting power to turn over. i have replaced the tacho fuse but cannot find any other fuses that might have blown. does anyone know where they might be? the boat is a haines 520 slc. anyone please:(

Fed
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
The fuse you're looking for is under the motor cowl.
Don't fit an electric fuel pump, not a good idea.

dreemon
05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
It allmost sounds like your rectifer has crapped itself,

Spaniard_King
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
As Fed mentioned. real small 20 amp glass fuse in a red holder (pull apart type) near the starter solenoid.

silversly
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
the reason i need an electric fuel pump is that i am losing fuel pressure under load at high revs and do not want to go to major expense in replacing oil/fuel combo pump ($1000+) motor is only worth $1200. electric pump only pushes 4psi. thanks again.

Fed
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
If your vro pump is shot and you don't want to fork out the big bucks then replace it with an OMC fuel only pump (much cheaper) then run premix.

Kero
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
If your vro pump is shot and you don't want to fork out the big bucks then replace it with an OMC fuel only pump (much cheaper) then run premix.

I did this with mine. You'll end up with a simple & reliable fix for a tenth of the cost of the VRO.;)
From memory, the pump is about $100. Then just mix 50:1 in the tank!

Fed
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
You should really test the fuel pump before you do anything else.

BTW, a stock OMC pump runs on 1psi at idle and 2.5psi at 4500 rpm.
If your motor stalls then an electric pump will continue pumping and if the 4psi overcomes your needles & seats then there will be fuel everywhere.

Don't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with your fuel pump.

silversly
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
You should really test the fuel pump before you do anything else.

BTW, a stock OMC pump runs on 1psi at idle and 2.5psi at 4500 rpm.
If your motor stalls then an electric pump will continue pumping and if the 4psi overcomes your needles & seats then there will be fuel everywhere.

Don't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with your fuel pump.

hi there, i cannot find the fuse near the starter solenoid, any other advice about its location. to overcome the excess pumping of fuel, i am going to install an oil pressure switch which will feed power to the eletric fuel pump so that if the motor stalls so will so will the pump. in theory anyway.

FishHunter
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
hi there, i cannot find the fuse near the starter solenoid, any other advice about its location. to overcome the excess pumping of fuel, i am going to install an oil pressure switch which will feed power to the eletric fuel pump so that if the motor stalls so will so will the pump. in theory anyway.

All I can say is KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid, do what the other guys said and fit a OMC pump. All I can see is a large fireball in your future possibly far out too sea

Fed
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Follow your positive battery lead to the starter solenoid, from that terminal follow any other wires that come off it and there you find the fuse.
The rest is a matter for you.