PDA

View Full Version : Johnson trim switch hassle

1975fflh
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi

I have a 90 hp Johnson the tilt/trim switch on the throttle control is playing up tilts down great but have to give it a rel good shove to get it to come up.

Any ideas on how to fix a new control unit is too pricey and it is a pain in the arse in the lake with shifting sandbanks etc.

The little red switch at the top of the throttle I think is the problem but have never pulled one apart to know what is inside.

A diagram would be great, exploded view would be awsome.

Thanks

Adivad
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I had the same problem on my Yammy. I can't give you a diagram, but it's not real complicated. I just pulled mine apart and cleaned it and it's been OK since then. It's basically just a contact not touching when you push the switch in.
Have a go at it, as I said it's not too complicated.

Noelm
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM
the switch is available as a seperate part (well it used to be anyway) simple to take the handle off, the screws are behind it, so the handle needs to come off, just pull the control box off, and there will be an allen head bolt in the centre, loosen this off a few turns and give it a tap with a hammer, the handle is on a splined taper, and needs a tap to free it up, the cable is a simple plug, but it is probably hidden behind the side.

1975fflh
11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
thank guys will have a go

oldboot
12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Yep I have had mine appart too... not hard.

The trim switch should come complete all the way to the plug.

And yes ya have to take the contoll lever off the remote controll to access the screws in the back to get the cover plate off.

there is a little screw and a bent metal tab that holds it in... check the tab is still strong and not corroded...that are still available too.

If its an older remote, its worth stripping it down for a clean & grease.

While you are in there it might be worth replacing the neutral interlock switch... some people have had trouble with those, too after some age.

cheers