PDA

View Full Version : To buy, what not to buy?

mozzie1957
03-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Finally, after 53 years, have a few bob to put into something a bit better than me little tinny. Looking for something that'll let me fish the reef with a reasonable amount of safety. Have to be second hand cause my budget only stretches to $25thou. Looking at boats like 5.5m Aussie Whaler or Alisson 5m Cuddycab or whatever. Both with 75's on 'em. Powerful enough? Decisions, decisions. These boats about 10 year old or do I go older, but bit bigger? Say 18-20'?
Most of my fishing will be Port Douglas to the Daintree offshore, weather permitting. What'd be a good trailerable tub to get, given the budget? Or maybe one of you fellows have somethin' to sell? Sick to death of doing the rounds of the yards and seeing big money wanted for some pretty ordinary looking stuff. Cheers.

Moffy
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi Mozzie,

Grew up fishing that area (still do) and learnt from my Dad who fished the area from before i was born. I have fished the reefs out from Mossman/Daintree in everything from 4.4m tinny to 7m centre consoles. Most of it though was done out of a 4.8m wooden centre console (we fish all of this area in this boat to the outside of Opal even) (am currently rebuilding one and when i'm done its what i'll continue to fish the area out of). Point of that is - you can fish the area from pretty much anything if the weather is right and depends on what you want?

Are you set on Fibreglass? or are you happy to go with a plate boat or something else (I occassionally fish out of a 6m polycraft out of Wonga and it is very very nice to fish out of (check out Daintree Boys videos) - there's one in Cairns here for $32k at a dealer - had it for a while - which you might be able to bargain down a bit). Do you want a cabin or happy with centre console, do you want to overnight out there etc - all things to consider.

Before the advent of the more recent "larger volume" boats - 18 foot or 5.5m was considered about right (the best size) for the common waves/weather that we get up here - (leave the NQ chop comments out boys...). - bigger was better but obviously cost more and didn't get used as much....

Anyhoo - give us a few more criteria and we can maybe narrow down some suitable boats for you - or at least give you some more food for thought.

Cheers,

Moffy.

nigelr
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Personally I'd probably want bigger than a 75 on either of those mozzie, how many people will be on board as a rule, how big are the fuel tanks and what sort of range do you need?
If possible under the above parameters I'd want at least a 90 on the 5m and a 115 on the 5.5.
Good luck with it, it can be a slow process finding anything worthy at that size within that price bracket, I bought an old (but sound) 5.3m ali hull and gal trailer, replaced the old V490 motor with a new Tojo 90M, replaced the transom, totally re-fitted/re-wired the hull and came in just under $23G. Put darn near a couple hundred hours into it though!::)
Cheers.

PADDLES
03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
they're out there though mozzie, troll through boatpoint and the trading post and be prepared to go for a drive, there's plenty of older 5.5 - 6m boats that'd do the job. there's a guy on here (in mackay i think) who's just done up an old cruisecraft, it'd be perfect up there and i'd say (but don't really know) he'd have some change out of $25k but has put a lot of work in himself.

Camhawk88
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
MOzzi, I have a 5.5 AW with a 115 Yammie 4stk. A 75 is way underpowered. There is one for sale with a 75 in Townsville- is this the one your looking at? If so I reckon the trailer is also underdone- only single axle.
For what you are doing the AW would be great. Due to the broad surface at the front it does slap into the head sea a bit but it is mostly noise, the actual impact through the legs or back is quite soft and I find if you run it a bit faster it actually improves the ride. A glass mono such as haines or cruise craft offers a softer ride but being up where you are you would only need to travel 15nm or so to the reef so no worries- I do 45nm down here, just dont do it in the rough. With a following sea they are great no broaching and very stable. And stability is the thing, with short distances to travel, stability at rest would be very important- somthing the monos just can't compete with. Anyway if you want to know any more about them give me a PM.
Cheers

mozzie1957
03-12-2010, 09:38 AM
'Day Moffy,

more than happy to go with plate, Mentioned the other 2 craft as I came across them while doing the inevitable web search. The Allison at $12 and a half, the Whaler at $19. Both very different craft, I know. Personally would be happy with aluminium, 18' or thereabouts or a poly 'bout same size centre consoles, long as it meets the budget. Probably a bit tougher than glass if I happen to inadvertently find a reef. Obviously looking for the best I can get for the money (as we all do). But would also consider a half or cuddy just for that little extra out of the weather thing.
Most of my fishing planned 'round early morning (before daybreak) and back in the arvo. Do intend on the odd overnighter, but happy 'nough to doss on the deck as long as I can stay reasonably dry. But occassionally lumbered with she-who-must-be-obeyed and the 'Ya want me to use THAT for a dunny?'
So I suppose one of me questions would be: if I were to go say 18' centre console how much power should I be looking for? I want to get out, and back, comfortably but I don't need to drag a waterskier.

Cheers,

Mozzie

STUIE63
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
a 90 hp will work with a 18" c/c even though alot of people will say it should be a 115
lots of choices out there have a look at other brands like Goodwin, southwind , southern star, galeforce in glass or there are plenty of plateys out there . I reckon don't go for a pressed tinny though if your use is going to be primarily offshore
Stuie

mozzie1957
03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi, thanks for the info.Yeah I was looking at the Townsville AW and figured it was underpowered. The trailer thingy doesn't worry me overly as the most I'd be dragging a craft is 'bout 30 k. My local ramp is only 'bout a k away. Looking at carrying 2 on board. Very odd times maybe 3. So what? At least 110 hp on the 5.5?
Cheers

Camhawk88
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
You would get away with a 90 minimum but 115 would be better. I get top speed of around 30-34knt depending on load and seas. Cruise at 24kn and 4500rpm. Getting out of the hole is ok- be better with a 2stk Id say, with a 90 you would take a while to get on the plane. Economy would be better with a 115 as you arent flogging it all the time.

cormorant
03-12-2010, 10:18 AM
After christmas and the holidays have finished I think there will be a lot more around. Dealers yards prices should offer better value due to the slump and extra month of no sales in late Dec early Jan especially if it is dealer stock so bargain very hard. If it is there in 2 weeks time it will probably be on the yard in 2nd week of Jan.

I think there will be a lot less money around in NSW after Christmas as NSW is slumping and QLD tourism isn't doing that well either so a few people may have to tip out their toys without overtime etc to pay for them.

Another members boat as they upgrade is a good option as at least you can have a serious discussion about it and know the history

There is often boats that had the poverty motor pack when delivered to someone new in boating where it was only just enough power that go significantly cheaper 2nd hand as they were barely adequate from new and the motor probably worked hard depending on the owner. Often newer to boating owners who are on the upgrade path if you know what I mean but wanted all the bling on his first boatbut got stiffed with a lowr power 2 stroke ( very unfashionable) .. These can be value if priced cheap enough as ( if you don't just use it as is) you can repower them and guarantee yourself many trouble free warranty hours with a new bigger HP demo motor in winter. Just be aware that the poverty packs often came with a average trailer but that may suit you close to the ramp?

Can be either fun or frustrating looking but I wouldn't rush in at the peak of summer.

PADDLES
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
hey mozzie, if you want to take the wife and she expects even the tiniest bit of comfort then don't buy a CC. If you're after a cabin and you don't mind something a bit older there's a few in there that caught my eye, for example a 1992 haines hunter 580 half cabin, there's also a reasonable signature 1950L too all under $25k. good luck with your search.

mozzie1957
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Okay fellows. How about a 5.5 JBS Marine centre console with a 115 E-Tec. Done less than 40 hours. 230 litre underfloor, 185 litre esky seat, live bait, bimini, Raymarine A60 plotter/sounder and outriggers for about $22000? Just found this one.

Camhawk88
03-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a perfect setup for what you are doing but very very cheap- have to think there is something wrong with it. Certainly worth looking at though. Perhaps the Etec has issues?

Moffy
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Mozzi,

re the JBS centre console - I actually had a look at that boat beside the road (corner of Aumuller St and Ray Jones Drive) a couple of weeks back - not a bad looking boat. Its set up for fishing that's for sure (outriggers and all on it). Don't know anything about jbs hulls - would be something you'd need to take for a test run. Saw a 550 bar crusher cuddy cab in your budget on the net as well (boatsales.com i think) - local Cairns boat. (redlynch) - that would be worth a look.

Moffy.

nigelr
03-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Either of those two for $25G or less???
Gotta agree with camhawk on this, too cheap..........check they are not 'floating anodes'.........does the BC have an engine at that price lol? The JBS would have been a custom platey?
Seriously, at this price make sure you check 'em out with a fine tooth comb, good luck with it, hope you can score a bargain!

mozzie1957
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Okay. Been to have a gander at the CC. Fair bit of boat but, with a closer look, a fair bit of neglect as well. The owner doesn't have the time to put into it but I have. Am arranging a spin in it. The trailer could certainly do with a bit of work as well. The donk looks really sweet, but I need to see it working not just idling.

On another note I've had a little business, selling fishing gear, for quite some time. The business has now sold but if anyone is looking for some gear at good prices catch me at the Mossman market this Saturday for me closing sale. Rods, reels, tackle. From light gear to game. Have a look.
Cheers,

mozzie