PDA

View Full Version : NSW flare kits - offshore

honda900
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
To all,

just checking the regs, the way I read them they have changed, no parachute flares required? is this correct, std Orange and red packs are now OK?

Regards
Honda.

aussiefool
03-12-2010, 08:05 AM
That is the way I read them as well.

Fed
05-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Don't think parachute flares were ever required Honda.

thelump
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
To all,

just checking the regs, the way I read them they have changed, no parachute flares required? is this correct, std Orange and red packs are now OK?

Regards
Honda.

Where you off to eh Honda .

honda900
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Parachutes were required a couple of years ago, I bought an offshore flare kit for NSW and it had 2 parachutes, looks like the rules have changed, reading the rules now they look to have the same as QLD flare kits.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/other_equipment.html

Jase,

Fingal Head for christmas, mate, hoping to get a couple of good size kingies around cook island.

Regards
HOnda.

Fed
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Parachutes were required a couple of years ago, I bought an offshore flare kit for NSW and it had 2 parachutes
The guy in the shop saw you coming mate.

honda900
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
The guy in the shop saw you coming mate.

or Maybe not..

http://www.precisionmarine.com.au/fishinggearflares/

Regards
Honda.

murf
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
you must have of had commercial flares? I have never known anyone to have parachute flares around here??? how long ago are you talking?

standard $56 set of flares will do ;)

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/flares.html

cheers Murf

Fed
09-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I've been buying flares for 40 years so if they changed the rules it was a long time ago.
Maybe the parachute flares are for some special offshore racing (yachts) or something, never a requirement for trailer boats since I've been buying them.

cormorant
10-12-2010, 02:56 AM
They are required for offshore yachts as a extra safety thing for club boats to comply with as a CAT rating with the AYF.

oldboot
11-12-2010, 02:09 PM
don't you require 3 of each instead of two of each orange & red in NSW.

cheers

cormorant
12-12-2010, 03:32 PM
NSW is nothing inshore and 2 orange smoke and 2 red signal for offshore waters.

Open waters are offshore in NSW and can be actually inside edge of some headlands so they catch a lot of people who stick their nose out or do a headland drift and are not carring offshore gear . It is a line on the map not always the same at every entrance. Their are also transitional areas they are considered open when there are swell or waves over a certain size. They don't make it easy and can mean that you can cross Sydney harbour to Manly but can't return if the swell changes the waters without the added gear on board. Pliable limits or something and I though it only applied to rental boats but I think I am wrong

Their definitions are laughable

Enclosed waters
means any port or inland navigable waters in New South Wales.

Open waters
means navigable waters which are not enclosed waters.