PDA

View Full Version : what weight plough anchor?

FishHunter
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I am going to be buying a plough anchor for use while overnighting and fishing. What weight would be suitable for a 18 foot glass half cabin?

hakuna
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Mate, I am going to start something I am sure,

Use a sarca not a plough, the sarca will roll over on a change of tide and re dig in no problems

I have found the plough is not so good at it, you may end up not where you want to be

cheers

FishHunter
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Y
Mate, I am going to start something I am sure,

Use a sarca not a plough, the sarca will roll over on a change of tide and re dig in no problems

I have found the plough is not so good at it, you may end up not where you want to be

cheers

how does that answer my question?

timddo
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
6-10 kg. I use a 6kg for my 5.5 meter boat.

And i have a sarca 6kg number 2. Chain always plays an important role.

PADDLES
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
10kg with a good long piece of chain will do the trick. we use 25lb with full chain for our 7m boat and it holds good with quite a bit of run in both sand and mud.

Micadogs
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Fish Hunter, I am just buying another anchor for my 18 foot fibreglass hlaf cab boat (have a post on here as well regarding brand). I have been speaking with several shops/distributors. I have been getting a similar answer around the 12lb to 15lb mark. Approx the 6 - 7 kg mark. Even a boat length of chain will weigh more than the anchor, so adjust for your conditions with that. If anchoring offshore a lot, go with maybe two boat lengths of chain approx 10 metres. If just anchoring inshore then one boat length would suffice. This is the advice I'm getting from my enquiries.

Oh yeah, short link chain as this weighs considerably more.

Regrads Adam

Smithy
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I use a 15lb plough tripped with cable ties and 4m of 10mm close link gal chain. So far so good and I haven't lost it yet. I anchor on sand a lot over wrecks in 50-60m and it is good till 12-15knots of NE or whatever jolt it free and start you drifting. I hear about Sarcas going astray or their shafts bending all the time for me to worry about them. Ploughs are expensive enought at around $54 or whatever they are. I know technically you are suppossed to have 1.5 times your boat length in chain but it is chain draping through coral or getting caught in cracks that is your undoing a lot of the time. I can just hold all that lot up to deploy it. Anymore and I would be dragging it over the side and wrecking the boat even more.

rowanda
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
thought about a cooper anchor? Fantastic lightweight one, wouldn't buy anthing else personally

ovakil
01-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a 22ft glass boat.I have 20 pound plough with 20 meter chain.Never drifts.I do let out a lot of rope,about 3 times the depth.Also have muir winch to retrieve.
Cheers

FishHunter
01-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the input, We plan on doing a fair bit of overnighting around the Whitsundays and I definitely don't want drifting, so lots of chain and rope for me. lucky the water is mostly under 20m around here.