PDA

View Full Version : Energex Medivac - Raby Bay VMR - Congratulations

TheRealAndy
30-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks like Energex is getting right behind the VMR units. Our unit at Sandgate/Shorncliffe picked up some energex sponsorship a few years back, with the promise that they would try to expand that to other units in Moreton Bay. So far Energex has made a yearly donation to VMR Brisbane, but have now backed up with donations to Bribie and Raby Bay. I think the latest $25000 donation to Raby Bay has helped update their medivac unit.

However, I heard some stats about the Raby Bay medivac unit the other day. Apparently Raby Bay has undertaken around 1600 medical evacuations to date. Perhaps mr Marlin Mike would like to confirm the exact numbers. What a phenominal effort from a 100% volunteer organisation.:thumbsup:

Kudos out to those guys doing that work. There is a lot of stuff that VMR does that a lot of you dont see or ever hear about.

Next time we ask you to fork out for out fuel costs, keep that in mind. The money you give us to replace that fuel may well be the fuel that saves a life.

PADDLES
01-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Good call Andy, I pay my $55 a year to Redcliffe Coast Guard for associate membership and haven't had to ask for a tow yet because I'm pretty anal with my boat maintenance, but when the day comes I'll have no problems flipping them the cash for their fuel to come and get me. I can't say the same for some boaties i have met though, I know people who treat their membership like an insurance policy or their RACQ membership and think that it lets them get away with not maintaining their boat in good order because someone will now come and get them for "free". $55 doesn't buy much fuel, let alone pay for the upkeep of a rescue boat.

Bros
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I think the latest $25000 donation to Raby Bay has helped update their medivac unit.

However, I heard some stats about the Raby Bay medivac unit the other day. Apparently Raby Bay has undertaken around 1600 medical evacuations to date. Perhaps mr Marlin Mike would like to confirm the exact numbers. What a phenominal effort from a 100% volunteer organisation.

I hope overall they did better than that. Why I hope better is that QAS paid for fuel costs ( which is nowhere near the true cost to VMR) on top of the $25,000 as there is clause in the claim asking how much you receive from other sources.

TheRealAndy
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I hope overall they did better than that. Why I hope better is that QAS paid for fuel costs ( which is nowhere near the true cost to VMR) on top of the $25,000 as there is clause in the claim asking how much you receive from other sources.

I have no idea what you are going on about Bros.

four_button_arnie
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
When there is a medical emergency where a VMR vessel is used to bring Queensland Ambulance Service to a pt QAS pay a 'sum' of money in order to utilize VMR, so VMR dont pay for the rescue out of their own funds

Josh (at least thats what im lead to believe)
________
Acrylic Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net)

TheRealAndy
01-12-2010, 06:44 PM
When there is a medical emergency where a VMR vessel is used to bring Queensland Ambulance Service to a pt QAS pay a 'sum' of money in order to utilize VMR, so VMR dont pay for the rescue out of their own funds

Josh (at least thats what im lead to believe)

Not quite. A boat capable of doing medivacs costs aroun $250000 - $300000 dollars. I am sure the raby bay vessel is worth a hell of a lot more than that. Furthermore, the cost of running these boats exceeds what is earned from QAS

Any fees recieved from QAS are for fuel costs, but what happens if there is no fuel before that? I annoys me a little when people have to drag down the VMR. The government funding is minimal, and most funding is done by the hardwork of volunteers going out an activley chasing money.

Anyway, thats not the point of this post. IT was to highlight that the raby bay VMR volunteers had performed a massive amount of medivacs, and that a recent overhaul of the medivac vessel was helped along by energex.

Bros
01-12-2010, 08:19 PM
I have no idea what you are going on about Bros.

No I probably don't I'm a mug at this.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/Bros_photo/Ausfish/th_claim.jpg (http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/Bros_photo/Ausfish/claim.jpg)

TheRealAndy
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
No I probably don't I'm a mug at this.

I must be stupid, I am still missing the point. Are you suggesting that any fuel reimbursment from QPS or QAS are sufficient to run a rescue vessel? Or are you suggesting that the donation from energex should offset what QAS or QPS pay to VMR?

IF you are annoyed about the energex sponsorship, then bite your lip. It may well come your way eventually.

Bros
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I must be stupid,

If the cap fits....

Are you suggesting that any fuel reimbursment from QPS or QAS are sufficient to run a rescue vessel?

Read my first answer

Or are you suggesting that the donation from energex should offset what QAS or QPS pay to VMR?

Read the last question on the claim form. Not my form.

testlab
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I think I understand this... It's not that the donation "should" offset the QES payment, it's that QES automatically DO offset it if the operation is funded by any other donations specific to that operation. QES deduct that amount from the reimbursement they pay.

In other words, in the cases where the Govt requests the service delivery they will pay a reimbursement less any other contribution toward it. So a thank you gratuity actually decreses the amount paid by the Govt (a sort of user pays principle if the person medivac'd offers a gratuity).

In cases where the Govt doesn't requisition the service (a direct call for help is made by the boat owner) then there is no Govt reimbursement and any gratuity is welcome for what it is.

So, a person getting helped but under a Govt requisition (which they may not know about) makes a thank you donation, but in reality it doesn;t help one bit since the reimbursement is decreased accordingly (unles its a big donation).

Would the Energex donation be counted for offsetting purposes by QES if it was a general donation and not applied to any specific operational event requisitioned by QES? I would sincerely hope not.

Bros
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I think I understand this..

I'm glad some one does.

Would the Energex donation be counted for offsetting purposes by QES if it was a general donation and not applied to any specific operational event requisitioned by QES? I would sincerely hope not.

So would I.

I think question 6 on the claim form is obnoxious

cormorant
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Simply don't link your donation to the particular task when you donate. It then can't affect the government putting it's hand in it's shallow pockets. Donate for the good of your heart and do it in wifes maiden name and she gets a tax deduction;D No one will ever link it up.

It was probably there to stop organisations double dipping by copping full funding ( ha ha as if that ever happened) and then mandatory donation for work done or claiming from insurance co of boat helped for example.

finga
02-12-2010, 08:20 AM
That donation might be handy about now as Raby Bay has just had, or is still getting, a full refit to their BIG boat if I remember correctly.
Mike could confirm that.
They deserve a bit of a hand and I still cannot work out why VMR and the like do not get more assistance from the governments of all levels.
Without VMR's and Coast Guards and the like the government would be up for mega bucks for a service to do the same job.

finga
02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I just thought up a great fund raising idea for VMR's.
Boat ramp bloopers video each year or a boat ramp blooper calendar each year.

Gees they must see some doozies at their ramps. :D

STUIE63
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Please do not shout me down for this but
I think the VMR and CG should explain to users how they can get monies from the government I am led to believe that if you are in trouble and ring the water police then they give the job off to CG or VMR then the fuel used will be reimbursed by the government .I still think that the person requesting aid should make a donation for costs to the volunteer unit but if this was done then the unit could in effect be double dipping .which would be a good thing because we all know that they always need more money .
If I have this all wrong please pm me and I will edit
Stuie

TimiBoy
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
If the cap fits....

Bros,

Now that I've read other people's explanations of your post I see what you were getting at.

Given I have no understanding of the issue from a technical perspective (like most others on this site, I'll wager), my first reaction to your posting was that you were taking a shot at Andy, the VMR, or something. Hence the reaction you received.

If you don't want to look like an @sshole, then don't put on the hat, is what I'm trying to say. If you have something to say, say it with a mind for your audience - we ain't experts.

Kudos to the VMR! My subs are $60 now, being paid next week, I think. Best spent money in the World, imho. I won't have a boat until maybe this time next year, but the VMR will always get my money.

Cheers,

Tim

TheRealAndy
02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Please do not shout me down for this but
I think the VMR and CG should explain to users how they can get monies from the government I am led to believe that if you are in trouble and ring the water police then they give the job off to CG or VMR then the fuel used will be reimbursed by the government .I still think that the person requesting aid should make a donation for costs to the volunteer unit but if this was done then the unit could in effect be double dipping .which would be a good thing because we all know that they always need more money .
If I have this all wrong please pm me and I will edit
Stuie

Queensland police can dispatch a VMR unit for a job, and the police CAN issue a Purchase Order. However, if you think because you are broken down and need a tow, that by calling up the water police will see us get paid you are very wrong. Chances are the police will just refer you to VMR. If they dont, they will relay a message to VMR and not issue a purchase order.

I can comment on Coast Guard, however VMR gets money from the following:

Queensland Police when a purchase order is issued.
Approx 10k per year in an accumulating trust for purchase of a new boat.
I believe VMR units also recieve insurance conver under the unbrella of the SES.

Now I though VMR did not get paid from QAS, but I could be wrong (I have never done a medivac, but our unit certainly gets there share from moreton island). I will check on this, but Bros or Marlin Mike maybe able to comment.

For the record, if Queensland Police issue a PO, its not normally related to a tow, so chances of double dipping are nil. Remember, there is no obligation for any VMR unit to even tow you, all they have to do is remove you from danger, and that may be transferring you to a VMR boat. With the number of people that refuse to pay after being towed, it may just end up being exactly that.

Bros,

Now that I've read other people's explanations of your post I see what you were getting at.

Given I have no understanding of the issue from a technical perspective (like most others on this site, I'll wager), my first reaction to your posting was that you were taking a shot at Andy, the VMR, or something. Hence the reaction you received.

If you don't want to look like an @sshole, then don't put on the hat, is what I'm trying to say. If you have something to say, say it with a mind for your audience - we ain't experts.

Kudos to the VMR! My subs are $60 now, being paid next week, I think. Best spent money in the World, imho. I won't have a boat until maybe this time next year, but the VMR will always get my money.

Cheers,

Tim

I certainly did not get it, but I do now. I knew Bros was not having a go (he is a VMR volunteer himself), but I was not sure what he was getting at.

STUIE63
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
[quote=TheRealAndy;1228724]Queensland police can dispatch a VMR unit for a job, and the police CAN issue a Purchase Order. However, if you think because you are broken down and need a tow, that by calling up the water police will see us get paid you are very wrong. Chances are the police will just refer you to VMR. If they dont, they will relay a message to VMR and not issue a purchase order.

I can comment on Coast Guard, however VMR gets money from the following:

I believe VMR units also recieve insurance conver under the unbrella of the SES.

Now I though VMR did not get paid from QAS, but I could be wrong (I have never done a medivac, but our unit certainly gets there share from moreton island). I will check on this, but Bros or Marlin Mike maybe able to comment.

For the record, if Queensland Police issue a PO, its not normally related to a tow, so chances of double dipping are nil. Remember, there is no obligation for any VMR unit to even tow you, all they have to do is remove you from danger, and that may be transferring you to a VMR boat. With the number of people that refuse to pay after being towed, it may just end up being exactly that.

Andy
Don't take it the wrong way I was towed once and gladly paid what was asked for as a donation and am a associate member of my local CG . I was just trying to come up with a way they might get more money
Stuie

Bros
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM

I was just trying to explain that Andy made a statement that would be correct but behind the scenes some of the bean counters in the Government may see it different and possible reduce the cost per job. I think if you had read it correctly and my answers I might know a thing or two about VMR.

TimiBoy
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I was just trying to explain that Andy made a statement that would be correct but behind the scenes some of the bean counters in the Government may see it different and possible reduce the cost per job. I think if you had read it correctly and my answers I might know a thing or two about VMR.

Yeah no troubles!

Cheers,

tim

Bros
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Yes it is correct QAS and QFRS pay VMR for the job and it is exactly on the same formula as the QPS.

QPS is rather cunning as they won't issue a order for a job unless absolutely necessary as it saves their bottom line. They seem to be a bit freer where the VMR's are cash strapped and give them order forms easier.

VMR's outside the SE corner can't function on donations and volunteers only so the boatie has to come to the party and pay some of the cost of towing, those who are not members must pay a lot more. I liked it to the RACQ you get some service free the rest you have to pay no different here.
Andy is partially right on the insurance. The active members get workcover from SES but buildings, public liability, boats are all commercial policies VMR's have to pay for.
For the last 10 yrs the government from the EMQ budget pays each VMR unit $20,000 per yr towards operating costs. In 2007 this was increased to $22,000 for three years then it was to drop back to $20,000 in addition in that year they also made an exgracia payment of $40,000 towards each VMR's new boat.
Remember our money comes from EMQ and the Transport dept collect the boat registrations and each Gov department vigorously protects their income base so they are not to interested in funding VMR's.

The way to get money is rather complicated and it would take me a considerable time explaining it so I will stop while I'm ahead.

In the end it is the boat owner the VMR's are depending on so give them your support.

cormorant
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Would love to see the VMR etc sit on their hands for a while and no do any rescues and help. I think after 1 week that the police and other services will have used up all budgeted hours and have no more overtime. Boats would need a service if still running and management missing out on time with their kids. Then they would have to issue a purchase order and not pick and choose the glory jobs.

What a system we have created.

People just don't get the costs , logistics and tasking skills they get on a platter for a small cost and good blokes/ ladies as well. Wonder if the next generation will have teh same attitude to volunteering and community service as current folk?

So many different departments and budgets all protecting their own ground- where have I heard that before- think it was a coroners inquest.

dodgyone
02-12-2010, 08:07 PM
From someone who just travelled 50nm in a Rescue Boat to jump start a boat because someone couldnt be bothered maintaining it properly I think any funding is well deserved.

finga
03-12-2010, 05:47 AM
As well as funding who drops off little things for the boys and girls in the rescue organisations??

I drop in and say gidday to the Raby Bay boys when Mike is on duty and I usually take in some smoko for them.
By the way the muffins go I think they appreciate the thought.

Maybe a beer or 24 or a kg of snags at X-mas time??

They do a mighty job with what they have.

theoldlegend
03-12-2010, 06:12 AM
That donation might be handy about now as Raby Bay has just had, or is still getting, a full refit to their BIG boat if I remember correctly.
Mike could confirm that.
They deserve a bit of a hand and I still cannot work out why VMR and the like do not get more assistance from the governments of all levels.
Without VMR's and Coast Guards and the like the government would be up for mega bucks for a service to do the same job.

That's because the governments are too busy handing out grants and subsidies to green affiliated groups. There's votes in that.

Governments know that VMR's and CG's do an excellent job and give them a pittance in return.

TOL