PDA

View Full Version : Marine Battery Life

Meherio
30-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I have a dual battery set-up with a voltage sensitive relay and has worked a treat for the past 5 years. My batteries are surely getting close to the end and will crap them self at some point.
How do you tell if they are close to the end, apparently battery world can tell but what is the test?

Moonlighter
30-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Meherio

Very interesting to see your post, because only a couple of weeks ago our Club had one of Brisbane's premier Yamaha dealers (located at Stones Corner) :-X do a talk on maintaining your outboard and this exact question came up.

I will summarise the answer they gave us about how long marine batteries can last first:

"The life of good quality marine batteries is directly related to how well you take care of them. That means how well they are maintained. Batteries that are used regularly, maintained properly (water topped up etc) and in particular charged up regularly, can last 5 or more years. This is especially so if you use a new type of multi-stage charger that can be safely left on.

On the other hand, it is not uncommon for batteries that are neglected, abused and not maintained to fail in 12 - 18 months."

The dealer also had the latest test gadget that does voltage and load tests and prints out a battery condition report for you, and they will do that test for you for $10, and if you buy a new battery as a result, will take the $10 off the battery cost.

I expect battery world would have the same or similar test device.

I have had batteries myself that lasted 5 years but not much longer than that.

Maybe get yours tested to see how they show up on the load test, that should give you a good idea of whether its time to replace them yet or not.

Cheers

ML

Blusta
30-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Most reputable battery outlets will do a load test for nothing. I have a calcium battery which is four years old and just recently had it done at two places just to be sure. I may replace it soon anyway just to be on the safe side and use the old one for camping and around the garage for pumping etc. I have a good battery charger so i will leave it on in the garage when needed.

the gecko
30-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I have 2 batteries with a relay, and they are 4 years old. I had them load tested a few months ago, and they are still right as rain. Dont even look like failing yet.

I use the boat once a week, and charge the 2nd battery with a 3 stage charger every 3 trips. Main battery has never been on the charger ever. I think regular use and a good charger have a lot to do with it.

ANdrew

hungry6
30-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Just get a good 5 stage or 7 stage smart charger with recondition and float as features, and plug it up everytime u pay ur electricity bill, u be suprise how long they can last especially calcium one, but they are harder to get to 100% than others.

TheRealAndy
30-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Just get a good 5 stage or 7 stage smart charger with recondition and float as features, and plug it up everytime u pay ur electricity bill, u be suprise how long they can last especially calcium one, but they are harder to get to 100% than others.

Or dont waste your money and get a decent 2 stage charger which does just a good a job but exludes the snake oil marketing rubbish.

This mob has a very good reputation: http://www.gsl.com.au/

You might find they look a lot like another charger distributed by a large auto chain ;). Aussie designed and built to boot. I have been extensivly testing one of their rebranded products recently and its performing very well. Same rebranded charger has been charging one of my deep cycle batteries for 4 years now with no problems. ITs also been charging 2 other deep cycles and my boat battery.

Back to the original topic. A good battery will last you 10 years not problem I have seen deep cycle lead acid batts exceed that, and I have had low maintenance marine batteries do 10 years. I have also had a car battery last 10 years. A few tips to make the last:

Keep the electrolyte topped up
Dont flatten them (ie dont let voltage drop much below 11V)
Keep them charged when not in use
Use a good charger, ie not a $10 cheapie from supercheap.

DAVE_S
30-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I run cat batteries that are acid filled but maintenance free i get 4 years , how i normally tell when the battery is on its last legs is you will see the case starting to bulge on the sides . As for a load test they can be fine one day but fail the next.

TheRealAndy
30-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I run cat batteries that are acid filled but maintenance free i get 4 years , how i normally tell when the battery is on its last legs is you will see the case starting to bulge on the sides . As for a load test they can be fine one day but fail the next.

Bulging case is a good sign of poor charging. You will never get good life from maintenance free battery unless its charged as per manufacturer specs.

MyWay
01-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Bulging case is a good sign of poor charging. You will never get good life from maintenance free battery unless its charged as per manufacturer specs.

it is truth

PADDLES
01-12-2010, 08:03 AM
i agree with andy, i've had 10 years out of car batteries before and that was just with daily car use and no external charging (not ideal even). remember that only charging from your car/boat standard alternator/regulator isn't the best method either a multi stage smart charger or regulator is the best. the two most common things that most people do that will lower the life of batteries (wet cell lead acid here, i don't know much about gel and other types) are not fully charging it immediately after use/discharge and letting it discharge too far (goes flat or almost flat). and yep, bulging case is a sign of charging too quickly or overcharging with the associated pressure build up. basic battery love isn't rocket science but boy it can save some pain.

Muteki
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Gosh im no expert but BCF (bad crap forsale) has sold me enough chargers that i read about batteries. Anytime you use your battery you consume positive charge obviously, negative power is not consumed ever and this in the absence of a positive charge(flat battery) attach themselves to your battery plates (like rust) effectively eating away at them causing a reduction over time for them to efficiently hold a postive charge. Only way to remove negative charge off your plates is to charge the battery as soon as you can. But you cant reverse any serious damage done,like leaving the battery flat or undercharged. Make sure your charger is rated to suit your battery. Just because it says car marine caravan doesnt mean it suits your needs. Learn about the needs of your battery. i dont mean this toward you meherio just any other newbies that looking for info.

TheRealAndy
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Gosh im no expert but BCF (bad crap forsale) has sold me enough chargers that i read about batteries. Anytime you use your battery you consume positive charge obviously, negative power is not consumed ever and this in the absence of a positive charge(flat battery) attach themselves to your battery plates (like rust) effectively eating away at them causing a reduction over time for them to efficiently hold a postive charge. Only way to remove negative charge off your plates is to charge the battery as soon as you can. But you cant reverse any serious damage done,like leaving the battery flat or undercharged. Make sure your charger is rated to suit your battery. Just because it says car marine caravan doesnt mean it suits your needs. Learn about the needs of your battery. i dont mean this toward you meherio just any other newbies that looking for info.

Lol. nice explanation of sulfation! Your dammed if you do and your dammed if you dont. It happens regardless, however keeping a battery charged and not making it to flat helps prolong the life.

Sulphation is basically where the sulphur in the sulphuric acid sticks to the lead plates. Charging will remove the sulphur, however once to much has stuck to the plate it acts as an insulator, preventing charging.

Once upon a time, people would remove the lead, clean it and put new acid in the battery. I have not seen this done in a long time. I guess its not really possible with modern cranking batteries but probably still possible with some types of deep cycle battery.

Roughasguts
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Apollo battery 9 years old ! disconected always! when not in use.
Charged with an ordinary old battery charger every 3-4 weeks or so. :P

I did put some inox battery treatment in it 7 years ago.

cheers.