PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Virgins

OverNover
29-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, we've bitten the bullet, finally me & Stu (Stuart DB) are off on our 1st Awoonga Jaunt later this week, typically the weather report is shite but with a 'green card' from the Missus's, a bit (or a lot) of rain ain't gonna stop us, hell, it can't be worse than what we fished the Flattie Classic in (hope those words don't come back to bite me). The plan was the ABT comp at Mondy again as we're getting to know it a bit better but the stars would not align for us and with the reports the way they've been and the ABT's best pulling only a dozen fish at the recent comp we figure.......what have we got to lose, an extra hour on the road????

We've already coined the phrase 'The Suck it & See Sessions" as we have absolutely no idea of the geography of the place let alone the hot spots or regular producers. If anyone feels like passing on some tips to a couple of try hard, keen as fishos who are just in it for the thrill and a photo opportunity, please feel free to pass em on!!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Those of you who've already passed on some tips through PM's, Thanx Heaps. Hopefully my next post will be a report on some nice Barra caught on Stueys new boats maiden voyage!!!
Cheers, Jamie.;D

PS - Hey Stuey, there's a name for the new boat, "Suck it and See"????

OverNover
30-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Where's the love????
:'(

Lonhro33
30-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey mate, all the best with your first awoonga trip. i remember my first trip, the lake looks huge when you first see it, so big in fact that you start to wonder where to start. The best advice i can give is stick to what makes sense, attack the structure and weed beds.
My two best fish at awoonga- 111cm was caught casting a hard body in close to an upright tree. The barra had it after 1 or 2 winds. My next best was 102cm and i got him firing a slick rig right next to a weed bed and hopping it back. Again, the fish had it very quickly after a few hops.
The wind will make it tough for you but not impossible. A friend got a 111cm fish in an absolute howling gale one cast after missing another good fish.
We have had some tough days there but if you keep casting and working hard, hopefully you will be rewarded.
Let me know how you go, good luck!

aussiebasser
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
If it's windy, try fishing the dirty water stirred up by the wave action. It is hard to fish those banks exposed to the wind, but it can be rewarding.

One Day
04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Overnover,

Just got back from Awonga yesterday. You're right the weather isn't good at the moment and we found it quiet tough with most sessions casting in the rain. Ended up with a 108cm which was caught casting to weed beds and a 115cm caught in the shallows at night. Had one bust off and a couple of follows. If I can offer any advice it would be to slow down your retrieve, boiling your plastics will help give them more action at these slower retrieve rates. Spend your first day driving all over the place looking for good weed beds and shallow banks next to deep water. You will find the fish will be more active during the night as they move out of the weed beds onto the shallow banks in search of a feed . We heard quiet a few boofing at night and marked a number on the sounder. Tempting them to bite is the hard part. Final word of advice is to be persistent, keep casting away, remain confident and positive and the strikes will come your way. You'll have to work hard but you should be able to put a couple in the boat. Best of luck.