PDA

View Full Version : shark cat hyd. steering

sharkcat
29-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey guys,
I have a 9m Shark Cat on the build and have just fitted 2 x new Yamaha 250 four strokes, lots of $$$$
What type of Hyd. steering have others used and what system is recomened?
any help is appreciated!!
Cheers Mick

Noelm
30-11-2010, 07:18 AM
there is quite a few ways to go about this, probably the best option for you would be twin bullhorn (front mount) and the central valve to centre the motors, works well, not too expensive and allows for easy twin motor setup without mechanical tie bars and so on. There is also a few other options, best bet to have a bit of a google and see what you find, the BLA website has a bit of info on their systems Seastar and Hynautic.

Chimo
30-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Mick

Ask Cormorant about toe in / toe out settings too.

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
30-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Twin Hynautic K6 rams no steering hose movement to negotiate like you get with the bull horn system

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=1668&eId=10&sId=e0007944e86a2c3f1941cfda18f785ab

sharkcat
30-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys, i think i am going for this kit http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productView&dId=1&id=4818&eId=10&sId=deab98a731f79a4c281cad45e27de4b3
Tell me if i have chosen the wrong set up, looks like it will suit my application.
Never played with twin motors.

Cheers Guys

cormorant
30-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys, i think i am going for this kit http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productView&dId=1&id=4818&eId=10&sId=deab98a731f79a4c281cad45e27de4b3
Tell me if i have chosen the wrong set up, looks like it will suit my application.
Never played with twin motors.

Cheers Guys

Don't think that one will cope with 500hp. The teleflex usa site has aplication charts so you can check

Buying seastar direct from USA is much cheaper with the Aussie strong

Have a look at hydrive as they are Aussie company

Seastar are ally painted rams- in a moored boat the paint comes off due to exposure. In moored boats they eventually pit and bleed fittings etc seize up - 5 years is about right for them

Hydrive are a bronze cylinder which should never corrode

Commercial boats overseas are using capilano system Capilano 2-Line Heavy Duty Steering - teleflex sell it and seastar.

All things really revolve around your transom set up and what room you have to work with. If you don't have a walkthrough between the motors you may get away with one ram and tiebars. You can use bullhorns if it is really tight and have a hydraulic link between the 2 motors. The space for hydraulic lines to go between motors at the stern need to be provided by the boat builder.

Are you usinig a single steering helm position?
Are you going to have autopilot - does it require power steering? Think of the whole package and how it will link into each other.

I havent had a close look at the merc system of power steering built into the motor but in the near future fly by wire steering is going to happen with twin and tripple outfits.

What design is the cat . Is it a original 28 foot sharkcat?? Throw up a build thread and keep us all entertained and envious. Did you replace the inboards with pods?

Not sure if you ran the boat with teh volvos running legs but will be really interested how it goes with outboards and how the stern sits.