PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu Outboard

dadstinny
27-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi all, I inherited a Tohatsu M8A a while back but have not done anything with it.

I was intending to get the thing fired up and test it out and potentially drag it along on camping trips for puts up the rivers to do a spot of fishing.

The motor seems in very good condition for its age as I belive these motors where built in the 80's.

I had a couple of questions about the motor and was hoping some one could steer me in the right direction.

1) Is there anything I should do to the motor prior to attempting to start her up? She has been sitting / laying down for about a year from what I know and it could have been a fair while prior to this before being started.

2) What fuel and mixture would be best for her? I am assuming she is a two stroke :) ...

3) Should it be serviced by a qualified mechanic?

4) Are they worth anything?

Any help is appreciated!

GBC
28-11-2010, 06:51 AM
I gave one away not long ago - they aren't worth anything - see below.

It will run forever, but they aren't supported by the Australian tohatsu distributor so you can't get parts.

There is however a marine place in melbourne (that's all I know) that can do an impellor kit?

I'd check the gearbox oil isn't white, and that there is water spitting out the rear then go for it.

There are a couple of lines off the carb that if perished will suck air and bugger up the tune, but they are easily replaced.

The pull start mechanism is bakelite so go easy on it.

Other than that - if you can get it running it'll keep running in my experience.

Somewhere around 25 - 30 : 1 for the two stroke mix on the oldies. Don't idle them for too long, and run the carb dry after use so it doesn't gum up.

finga
28-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Maybe take the plug out and put some really oily fuel in there and turn it over a few times and then let the fuel drain out just to get an oily surface in the guts of it.
If it hasn't been used for a long time the top and bottom crank seal may be in need of renewal but it'll start unless they're really bad.
It's not worth anything so you might as well play around with it if you enjoy that type of thing.

Just remember a 8hp motor may require your boat to be registered.
Check with your local requirements as they change from state to state.
Definitely check gearbox oil...

dadstinny
28-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks all, definetly will need rego for the boat but no licence as she will not be getting up on the plane :).

Is there a manual online for these things?

And now for the dumb question how do you check the gearbox oil and if it needs replacing how do you do it?

Thanks!

finga
28-11-2010, 06:14 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgX1Q6bkVoA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgX1Q6bkVoA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/neYroHtSheQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/neYroHtSheQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

dadstinny
15-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

First issue, I have gone to pull the pull start and it comes out about 5cm and then it stops and it makes a sound like two metal objects hitting one another.

I have her in neutral and everything seems right, do they a lock or similar on them to stop them from turning over?

Thanks!

GBC
15-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Made sure it's out of gear?

They do make a clanging noise when they engage anyway. Make sure the flywheel can turn by hand and that nothing's seized first, then try it again.

The pull start is a miracle of modern clock making with lots of springs and things, so try not to open it up if you don't have to just yet.

dadstinny
15-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that, I flick her between forward, reverse and neutral she seems to be sitting in neutral.

Just does not want to get past that point. :-[

Possibly could be seized, Ill have another crack at it shortly...

Edit, just had another crack and I think she is seized.....

When you yank the cord the chord comes out a little bit but when she makes contact with the flywheel I believe thats when you hear the clunk. I think its seized.

Time for a new motor :(...

Just saw a tohatsu 9.8 two stroke for cheap brand new are they any good?

finga
15-12-2010, 06:11 PM
The Tohatsu's are brilliant...just brilliant.

Where are you matey.
If your wanting to get rid of the old girl I might find a home for it with the rest of the junk in the shed. :)

GBC
15-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, very light (26 k.g.), very simple. The 9.8 is a niche motor for cartopper owners and people requiring portability.