PDA

View Full Version : Should a throttle control be smooth?

GLXMAN
25-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a 60hp merc 4st,

After engaging forward gear, should there be a smooth transition of throttle from 0 to WOT,

Mine is not, appears to be OK to approx 10km/hr then there is a huge movement in the lever before the throttle takes over again, in fact, nearly horizontal?

Is this normal? Or can all this be adjusted to suit the owner?

I have played around with the friction control as per the manual but appears to make no difference

Regards,
Gary

Marlin_Mike
26-11-2010, 05:37 AM
Sounds like maybe the cable is loose or stretched? Might be on the wrong track myself but only thing I can think of

Mike

nigelr
26-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Check how the throttle cable is routed, ie should not have any sharp bends in it, and check how much slack is at the connectors on the motor.
Have your dealer fix it, or if you have insufficient faith in them, not difficult to adjust the slack out yourself, the manual should have the correct specs.
Cheers.

GLXMAN
26-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Tks guys, the rig is new so will get the dealer to fix,
Main reason for the post was to find out if this is "normal",
If not, at least I can go to the dealer with some "ausfish" knowledge;)
Regards,
Gary

Jeremy
26-11-2010, 08:02 AM
To me it seems you are describing normal operation for a 4 stroke. All the power in a 4 stroke comes on from 3500 rpm on. I have the merc 60 4st also. I do about 6 knots at 3000 rpm, about 8 knots at 3500 rpm, and 18 knots at 4000 rpm.

There is NOT an even application of power in a 4 stroke.

Jarrah Jack
26-11-2010, 08:20 AM
My mate has the same motor and has had the same problem since new. He took it back a few times I think but it has never been fixed. It takes a while to get used to. The reverse is the same and he wasn't that happy when I hit a pontoon recently while I was trying to find some power in reverse.;D

GLXMAN
26-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Tks Jeremy,
Might just be normal, although, appears to be no effect on the motor revs at all for quite a wide gap
Regards,
Gary vbmenu_register("postmenu_1227142", true);

GLXMAN
26-11-2010, 08:29 AM
My mate has the same motor and has had the same problem since new. He took it back a few times I think but it has never been fixed. It takes a while to get used to. The reverse is the same and he wasn't that happy when I hit a pontoon recently while I was trying to find some power in reverse.;D

Your right about the reverse also, yes, I have got used to it but hope this is not a characteristic of the Mercury controls and considered "normal"

Regards,
Gary

robfin
26-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a merc 40 4st with same issue. Dealer told me it was normal but tried to adjust it without making any difference. I've just gotten used to it.

GLXMAN
26-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I have a merc 40 4st with same issue. Dealer told me it was normal but tried to adjust it without making any difference. I've just gotten used to it.

Sounds like I may have to live with it,
Regards,
Gary