PDA

View Full Version : Lenco Trim Tabs Switch Question

odes20
23-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I am moving close to the purchase of a set of Lenco Trim Tabs for my 6.1 Metre Yalta and I need some comment on which switch to buy.

There is the standard switch and the one with LED indicators showing where each one is at. Just interested in the opinion of those who have the standard switch without LEDs.
Are they easy enough to operate with the basic switch, or is the LED upgrade switch far superior?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks
John

Micadogs
23-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Odes, I have just fitted Lenco's to my boat. I purchased the LED switch. I find it extremely valuable in knowing the position of my tabs. It is great also for setting tabs at different settings due to listing etc.

I have seen some others say that you dont need the indicator switch and you can do it by feel. This may be true, but for a new user, I think it is excellent to have the indication.

The indicator switch also has different displays for faults. This was a great help when I had an issue as I was able to read the fault and correct very quickly.

I purchased my indicator switch from eBay in the USA. I paid $180 AUD delivered for it. Compared to the Aussie price of $400+, this represented very good value. In fact it was cheaper than the ordinary switch here in Australia.

You wont know yourself when the trim tabs are fitted, they are awesome.

Regards Adam

Chimo
23-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi John

I have the basic non led, non auto retract, non other than operate the tabs up and down set up on my Vag. Been on for about five or more yrs now.

They do what they are supposed to do. I asked the guy who sold them and fitted them about the up spec switches and was told not to waste my money and if I needed all those gismos should I really be running a Vag!

When you get the tabs fitted have a look at them working out of the water ie count how long to go thru their range then go for a slow run and operate them together thru their operating range and then one side at a time then up your speed and FEEL what they do

When all is said and done at boat operating speeds you will probably just tap the switch (es) to feel the change you want in the hull and you wont even look at the swtiches. You can watch your bow rail and see the affect.

Personally I doubt if I'd spend the extra plus there is more to go wrong with the extra stuff which has happened according to some posts on here.

Cheers
Chimo

blueline
24-11-2010, 08:43 PM
hey mate, i have standerd switches on my trim tabs(2 years now) all i can say is if you dont know were your trim tabs are there not working

odes20
24-11-2010, 08:56 PM
hey mate, i have standerd switches on my trim tabs(2 years now) all i can say is if you dont know were your trim tabs are there not working

OK so they are that noticeable in effect that its not hard to use the standard switch?

John

Captain Seaweed
24-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I would go led position switches, I am not sure how responsive the Lenco's are. I have QL's and would be lost without led's considering wind gusts, wave direction and change of track. I find it good to know where I am at at any time. Sometimes the boat can lean and you know you can blame it on a wave or wind rather than over trim. My opinion only though.
Marty

Captain Seaweed
24-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I will be going to an auto module next. It is a built in gyro that auto adjusts your trim as the boat changes attitude. Do the lenco's have this as an option?

Chimo
25-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Lencos take approx 2 seconds to go from full up to full down and you would only use full down on one side if you were travelling off the plane with all the passengers sitting on one side of the reaar seat.

When travelling at any speed you normally only need to tap 3 or 4 times to affect trim to suit the conditions from my experience.

C
C

Midnight
25-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I have the normal switches and see no need for the LED indicator switch, especially given the price.

As mentioned the Lenco's are super fast and all you will likely need is 1 or 2 one second pushes of the switch.

If you forget where they are, just hold both switches to bring the tabs up, takes less than 3 seconds, and start again. You will get a good feel for them very quickly.

I have the 18" by 12" tabs on my Bertram 25, and they are VERY effective, so much so they could be dangerous if one of the kiddies held a switch full down at running speed:o

Also, think about how you want the tabs wired to the switches, whether you want them to work as the switch says "bow up or bow down" or reverse the wires so you control the "tab" up or down. I have control of the tab directly, cos thats how my brain works. Each to their own there.

Cheers,
Myles

odes20
25-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I have the normal switches and see no need for the LED indicator switch, especially given the price.

As mentioned the Lenco's are super fast and all you will likely need is 1 or 2 one second pushes of the switch.

If you forget where they are, just hold both switches to bring the tabs up, takes less than 3 seconds, and start again. You will get a good feel for them very quickly.

I have the 18" by 12" tabs on my Bertram 25, and they are VERY effective, so much so they could be dangerous if one of the kiddies held a switch full down at running speed:o

Also, think about how you want the tabs wired to the switches, whether you want them to work as the switch says "bow up or bow down" or reverse the wires so you control the "tab" up or down. I have control of the tab directly, cos thats how my brain works. Each to their own there.

Cheers,
Myles

I am suprised they dont have it the way youset it up Thanks for that I will certainly consider!

Cheers
John

blueline
25-11-2010, 08:33 PM
hey mate, led or not they are good, just look at price difference.
at first i was looking for hydraulic and cost was through the roof but the lenco are great,the worst thing is when people move around you have to keep adjusting them.
there that noticable you can feel the boat lift side to side and bow up and down, now days with trim motors its not so much bow up and down but more so side to side, just say on the way home one bloke sleeping in the bunks and the boat laying on that side just drop the tab on his side and she'll sit straight.

death_ship
25-11-2010, 09:00 PM
lencos come standard with auto retract on all kits with any switch now.

odes20
25-11-2010, 09:57 PM
hey mate, led or not they are good, just look at price difference.
at first i was looking for hydraulic and cost was through the roof but the lenco are great,the worst thing is when people move around you have to keep adjusting them.
there that noticable you can feel the boat lift side to side and bow up and down, now days with trim motors its not so much bow up and down but more so side to side, just say on the way home one bloke sleeping in the bunks and the boat laying on that side just drop the tab on his side and she'll sit straight.

beautiful! Actually its amazing how few people travelling with you recognise that the boat is out of balance!

Also Yes I dont ned tabs for bow up and down as my boat responds pretty well to this with the trim on the motor.

Thanks heaps
John

odes20
25-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I am planning for a set of 9x12 inch Standard mount . I have a mate with 9x9 on his 6 metre Haines and he reckons they are great but on Lencos Website they recommend 9x12 inch for a 6 metre boat?

John

Chimo
26-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi John

Seafarer advised and fitted 9" by 9" to my 6.2 Vag which has twin 115HP motors etc. The 12 by 9 may be overkill::)

Cheers
Chimo

googarra
26-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I have the 9 x 12 on a 7 metre boat and they are by far the best item I ever fitted to my boat. I used to punch out through a far chop and grit my teeth and tense my back and wait for the bang each time we came off the swell, but not anymore.

I have the rams reversed as I did not want to cut a large hole in the platform beside the pod. The ram tops have a swivel on this band so you can mount pretty much at any angle.

The tabs take over where you cannot motor trim the boat down any further and the motor is not happy at this trim anyway..

The 9 x 12 is plenty big enough for my boat and is like putting the brakes on if they go down too far.

I only have the rocker switch and no position indicators, no auto retract, the same brand as these in this link, they get a great rap in the USA and are excellent quality when inspected.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOAT-LEVELER-INSTA-TRIM-N10800-10-X-8-TRIM-TAB-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563a0ffba1QQitemZ37034 1313441QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

You have to find the sweet spot of cabin comfort, verses fuel burn per hour, verses speed, verses motor strain & revs.

The position of the tabs would be great to know via a led or similar gauge but you get used to them without it. I always lift the tabs when I stop anywhere so I know where they are, and then adjust down when underway again, however, I never adjust one further than the other for balance as the bigger the boat the less balance problems you have and I never notice the boat out of balance, even when people move around.

I dont know how the hydraulics sense where the tabs are, maybe a sensor on the tab, dunno, but something else electronic to go wrong and need fixing in the future.

I would definately go for the indicator switch if I were fitting them again, But I am a 'gadget' lover and have so much electronic crap in my boat now I find it hard to find time to fish.

Cheers

odes20
26-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks Googarra

Been out lately? I would like to rock up one day and have a squiss at your Haines - shes a beast. Thanks for all the helpful info

John

ric
27-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I just have the plain switch and it is fine. Its irrelevant what position the tabs are in as long as the boat feels right, so i can't see why you would need to know the position?

Forget the auto retract, i connected it first up before using them and ended up disconnecting it on the water in the first run, everytime you stop the engine, they run for a few seconds to lift up. gets quiet annoying.

Ric