PDA

View Full Version : Skippers Choice

Scalem
22-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Don't know about you, but there are many things apart from weather, good company and catching fish that contribute to a good trip.

I remember one deckie who would come along occasionally, who also had his own boat, and very skilled in his own right when it came to knowledge. But well before even setting foot on my boat as a guest deckie, the phsychological tug - of -war started. I will have decided to fish the gold coast seaway ..... He would say something like "there are chopper tailor smashing whitebait at the pin bar." I know it pays to be adaptable with fishing styles, but I often found myself doing a complete overhaul of the tackle I needed to bring simply because "Dan" managed to change my mind about how I approached my trip. Dan has not been out in my boat for about 10 years, I can't imagine why::)

These days I have even more options open to me as far as deciding about the trip. Which bar to cross.... Which type of quarrie ..... Stay in the bay????

All sorts of things come to mind.... If I say it's time to call it a day and go home, Deckies should never say things like "just one more cast" or that might be the last time you come out in my boat. Is it that serious? Nah, not really, I am generally very easy to get along with, but nevertheless, decisions I make while out on a trip need to be listened to, so if I think that we need to do another drift, all my deckies are well and truely trained now. Within 10 seconds of me announcing we need to do another drift, the motor will be started and I will be in gear whether you have wound your lines in or not:-* ;D If I say the fish might be just legal, but there will be bigger fish soon, don't make me drag the brag mat out to measure it, throw it back!

There's oodles of examples, add some if you want.

Scalem

spelchek
22-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Funny, I don't take deckies in my boat. I take mates.

It's very most likely the limitations of the written word, but you come off (in my humble opinion) sounding a bit arrogant and 'know it all' here. On the other hand, it's your boat and you're the skipper so have at it!

finga
22-11-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't normally have any problem when I go fishing with the usual deckies and all my mates.
The crew is usually only made up of me, myself and I.
Pretty sad, and serious, when myself and me start arguing though. The buggers can come to fisticuffs.
I normally have to set them both straight by giving them a good flogging :(

Defore
22-11-2010, 08:35 AM
With my old fishing mate we had an easy going set up.
If on his boat I would be deckie and happily went along with his decisions. Not making choices I relaxed and enjoyed the day.
On my boat he would do the same thing, I would make all the choices.
We both had different boating styles and it normally came down to who suggested the fishing trip, as to whose boat be took.
We just enjoyed the company.
Good memories, we now live in different states (WA and Qld). A bit far for a days fishing trip. ::)

Ian

jason p
22-11-2010, 03:43 PM
i think i know were you are coming from scalem, i have had the occasional deckie that mones and groans at every attempt you put out there,like "theres no fish here lets move on", after about five minutes::) , or "we should be over there with the rest of them":-? ,not likely. these are all simple things and they dont usually bother me. the worst thing i hate and after telling them several times not to do it and they still manage to is when there kickin back in there chair winding up there line and its rubbing up the side rubber strip cutting grooves into it>:( >:( >:( this realy pi$$e$ me off. other than that i do enjoy the company of me mates out on the big blue and even more so when i can put them over a patch and they catch a pb, there faces light up like little kids :) me too. if things are not going to plan i will always listen to wat the others have to say but will usually try my way first, this is the privilege of owning the boat;D . after all, we are out there to catch a feed.

jp

TimD
22-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope i'm still welcome on your boat Brian, i don't even whinge when you eat all my red rock deli chips ;D

cheers tim :)

onerabbit
22-11-2010, 05:34 PM

It's very most likely the limitations of the written word, but you come off (in my humble opinion) sounding a bit arrogant and 'know it all' here. On the other hand, it's your boat and you're the skipper so have at it!

Oh dear, there had to be one..........

DECKIE....fishing speak meaning friend who comes fishing on YOUR boat

SKIPPER.... (you used this one) friend who owns a boat that you go fishing with.......

Muzz

onerabbit
22-11-2010, 05:48 PM
What p1sses me off...........?

Nit pickers,

nearly every time I go to sea, I pay the lion's share of all costs as well as the hidden costs that most DECKIES wouldn't even think about,

then you think you are going to tell me how to fish, where, and for how long....

I DONT THINK SO......

these people usually only get one trip out......

I had one guy who had NEVER crossed a bar ever, ( but he had done the coxwains course), start screaming at me in the middle of a tricky bar crossing back into the river...telling me I was doing it wrong,

you can imagine how many trips he got.

Muzz

PinHead
22-11-2010, 06:22 PM
only have 3 rules:
1. don't get drunk
2. don't offer me money
3. enjoy yourself..

after that ..anything goes.

honda900
22-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Interesting topic,

I have mates that fish with me, we discuss the plan for the trip a couple of days before, agree or change our strategy and head out.. I also let my mates, CFD (captain for a day) where I am just the deckie and let the captain plan the trip.

works for us..

Regards
Honda.

odes20
22-11-2010, 08:45 PM
MMNN Interesting mix of thoughts.

I am certainly expecting mates/deckies to cooperate for the sake of a great trip. I usually weed out knowalls and haughty heads in my life as people who don't get on a trip anyway.
One thing I do hate is the presumption of some who come visiting TELLING me and assuming I will fit the plan they have for me to take them out when they come up here on hols, as they are going to pay for the trip, without even asking if I would be so kind to do so. Somehow telling me of paying is so great a favor that asking is not necessary? Anyway,
On another note, I do listen to experienced crew and even ask them for comment in decision making. I can never forget that Captain Cook untimately lost his life becuase he didn't listen to his crew who were warning him of the danger to his life!

Cheers

Scalem
22-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Interesting comment, and thanks for pointing that out. Yes I do know a fair bit about fishing, but part of what spawned this topic theme, it's because I listen to my deckies possibly a little too much on some points, and find it difficult to make decisions about where to go, what fish to target etc . Deckies are by a general description all passengers in my boat, which consists of mates, brothers, nephews, nephews and their girlfriends, aquaintances through mates, including Ausfish members I had never met before in person who have since become mates, work colleagues etc) If I sounded arrogant ( not intentional), it's the decision making that I have to be a bit more definite about when out fishing.

i think i know were you are coming from scalem
jp
You do know where I am coming from Jason.

I hope i'm still welcome on your boat Brian, i don't even whinge when you eat all my red rock deli chips

cheers tim
Hi Tim, even if you didn't bring the usual supply of chips, you don't have any warts or vices worth mentioning mate. You have yet to show me how to use those new Xwraps to the best advantage. Got the bigger esky finally in readiness.;) Won't be too long if this weather lets up.

SKIPPER.... (you used this one) friend who owns a boat that you go fishing with.......

Muzz
Thanks Muzz. That's how I see it. :)

Interesting topic,

I have mates that fish with me, we discuss the plan for the trip a couple of days before, agree or change our strategy and head out.. I also let my mates, CFD (captain for a day) where I am just the deckie and let the captain plan the trip.

works for us..

Regards
Honda.
Chris what an excellent Idea, I'll use that one more, I did it once because I lacked experience on the south passage bar, (yes, it still scares the cr!p out of me too). So Goldfinch shared the driving and we had a great day this time last year. It helps when a licensed mate lives next door to you though...:P

MMNN Interesting mix of thoughts.

I am certainly expecting mates/deckies to cooperate for the sake of a great trip. I usually weed out knowalls and haughty heads in my life as people who don't get on a trip anyway.
One thing I do hate is the presumption of some who come visiting TELLING me and assuming I will fit the plan they have for me to take them out when they come up here on hols, as they are going to pay for the trip, without even asking if I would be so kind to do so. Somehow telling me of paying is so great a favor that asking is not necessary?
Cheers

It's a two way street I know. I bet you wished you had more control over your holiday seekers, I bet they are relatives and you are backed into a corner. ::) Or you would tell them to take a hike!;D Make a decision, you are the skipper!!

Scalem

D river
23-11-2010, 06:51 AM
My mates r awsome they pay for bait, fuel, oil, tackle, beer, we split every cost evenly, hell they even help pay for repairs and servicing so if they want to try something different I say lets do it. Safe to say I take the same guys out every time no1 gets a look in at there seats. I did take a victorian out on a day trip once though, wont be making that mistake again.

thelump
23-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Interesting topic,

works for us..

Regards
Honda.

Same. I have a mate that I rotate trips with. ie one in his boat and one in mine. Tactics are always discussed days (maybe hours) ahead and plans stuck to.
Its good to sit back and just say "put us on the fish skipper" every other trip. We usually do OK

TimiBoy
23-11-2010, 07:57 AM
It's a team effort, but the buck ALWAYS stops with the Skipper.

I've done the equivalent of Skipper for a day, but usually I'll float changes or plans with the Crew, and take on board advice.

Whingeing folks come once.

I always do the bar crossing; in any circumstance where there could be danger due to mishandling/risky decisions, the Owner is always responsible.

Be nice when I own a boat again!!!

Cheers,

Tim

spelchek
23-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Muzz

Sigh.

You're a genius mate, I just wish I was close to your league.

GBC
23-11-2010, 03:39 PM
My mates know better than to give me no responsibility when I'm deckie - I'll just drink myself into a stupor. Been a skipper too long to not make the most of having no responsibility......

Deckies on my boat - I try not to take green deckies offshore - it can be a bit of an eye opener (back breaker) for the inexperienced, and its a long run home throwing up and hanging on at the same time.

onerabbit
23-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Sigh.

You're a genius mate, I just wish I was close to your league.

Nice attempt .....and to think that you accused scalem as coming off as arrogant and know it all ::) ::) ::).

Muzz

, but you come off (in my humble opinion) sounding a bit arrogant and 'know it all' here.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/report.php?p=1225825) http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/post_thanks.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/post_thanks.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=1225825) http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1225825) http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1225825) http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/quickreply.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1225825)

Horse
23-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I take out a variety of fellas in my boat. Some are more experienced and others a bit less so but I always invite their comments and thoughts as to what our plans are. To me thats an important part of the trip. If I go with another skip then the game plan is his and I will fit in where appropriate. I tend not to go again with anyone who is too pushy::) . If I'm there just to help get the boat on the trailer and pull the anchor then the trips probably a one off as I have better things to do. To me its all about having a good time out on the water and I don't like big egos in the confines of a small boat;D .
Even coming in through a nasty run out bar situation I will listen to experienced deckies calling better water etc. I don't neccessarily act on their input but I take it on board.
I think if you work as a team you will enjoy your trips more and have better results overall

spelchek
23-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Deleted. .

finga
23-11-2010, 08:24 PM
And people wonder why I fish alone with only myself and a dead prawn to argue with.
Gees I enjoy the serenity. :)

Tangles
23-11-2010, 08:39 PM
what about the arguments between yourself and the dead prawn? could always settle them with the donger;D

PinHead
23-11-2010, 08:41 PM
LOL..I'm with you finga...I think some must stand there with their hand out waiting for the dollars.

I did have one person come along for a day out at the Pin once...kept saying that once he got a boat that I would be the first person invited..amazing..onto his second boat now and not an invite..but..not bothered...the serenity is great..probably doing that this friday night at spots. a thru to z..none of the buggers work.

PinHead
23-11-2010, 08:42 PM
what about the arguments between yourself and the dead prawn? could always settle them with the donger;D

omg..and what the bloke muttering into a rod holder for about half an hour.i will never forget that one.

Tangles
23-11-2010, 08:47 PM
lol, just trying to preserve the serenity and get that rolling sinker

Adam_G
23-11-2010, 08:49 PM
From the deckies view, who wants to just turn up and expect everything to be organised for them?

I like being invoved in planing the trips, getting the gear prepared the day before etc, most of us on ausfish like fishing don't we? It's an intrest/hobby so why not be involved?

If each time I went fishing I could not have input I may as well get paid working on a charter boat and likewise if I turned up expecting it to be all done for me I would expect to be not invited next time.

If you don't have a good time when out fishing maybe you need to have a think about who you are fishing with. It's meant to be fun..

By the way when's this wind going to stop??? It's been 4 weeks since last fish..

Adam

spelchek
23-11-2010, 08:56 PM
And people wonder why I fish alone with only myself and a dead prawn to argue with.
Gees I enjoy the serenity. :)

Yeah good point. Life's too short. Sorry to Scalem if I offended - it was most definitely not my intent.

Scalem
23-11-2010, 09:44 PM
None taken Spelcheck, maybe the way I worded it did sound a bit know all and so on, I will add though that the knowledge is only acquired from other people, and from listening. That's why I know so much:P LOL

To those who like talking to prawns and who like solitude - that will never be a substitute to sharing the elation of a mate christening his new rod and reel with a 93cm snapper, never in a million years:o Sorry Finga, I had to put things back into perspective;D

I think the answer is give and take, a crew have to work at making it an enjoyable trip, which will include knowing your place in whatever circumstance, whether you own the boat, have been appointed captain for the day, or casual tag along crew.

Adam, what you are saying is too true, some crew members will work together like a well oiled machine, as you and Honda obviously do, which takes time to work out who is supposed to look after what. Others may grate on each others nerves, for whatever reason, but that's the way it is unfortunately. The wind?? I am hoping that all manor of fish species are gathering up in our favourite marks by the thousands. Dollies, wahoo, macks all think we have decided to leave them alone and lost interest. Can't wait to get a crack at them this summer!

Scalem

Jarrah Jack
23-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Funny this thread was up yesterday. I've been taking out differet mates for the last five trips after snapper. We've been onto the fish and had a good time until yesterday. Just wasn't enjoyable.

Said mate turned up late for an early start which is not the best way to begin. We got onto the fish again and he was rapt but I wasn't just lots of niggly things that add up.

Needless to say thats it for him eventhough he went straight to BCF to get me a new knife to replace the one he broke.

To me fishing should be an enjoyable experience, thats the bottom line. When it isn't because of the deckie or because there is no deckie just yourself then its time to make a change. I love having the dog out with me but not when after bigger fish it just goes a bit mental, like my mate yesterday. Won't happen again.

Scalem
23-11-2010, 10:12 PM
LOL..I'm with you finga...I think some must stand there with their hand out waiting for the dollars.

I did have one person come along for a day out at the Pin once...kept saying that once he got a boat that I would be the first person invited..amazing..onto his second boat now and not an invite..but..not bothered...the serenity is great..probably doing that this friday night at spots. a thru to z..none of the buggers work.

Greg, you have mentioned this before mate, time to let it go I reckon.;)

PinHead
24-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Greg, you have mentioned this before mate, time to let it go I reckon.;)

I have? I don't think so.
The bloke concerned is a bloke I used to work with..bought a tinny the week after I took him out..now has a Haines Traveller I think it is..and it sits in his yard most of the time..I don't think he has had it out once this year..a waste of money buying that one..but that is another point..how many boats do yo usee in front yards that never move..I know of a couple around here in that category.

Scalem
24-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Those self proclaimed "fishos" with Garden ornaments parked in the yard I call "gunnas". I am "gunna" get out on the water one of these days, but if you know them well enough, it's not because they lead busy lifestyles, they just procrastinate too much.. It's almost related to the topic Greg, and it's why I have to have a large assortment of deckies in my phone book. The boat has 118 hours on her, and its 1.5 years old which is a modest amount of use, but certainly being used far more than a few people I know. Few mates are available that regularly. Besides, I want to share it around a little, there are still a few who have mentioned they would like to come out, but that's as far as its gone for now.

Again, related to the topic, I have a much more relaxed fish with those who know what to do without asking. Can someone grab the net? Oh, I see you have already - that sort of thing.

Scalem

finga
24-11-2010, 07:39 AM
That reminds me.
If anyone goes fishing with Webby never argue with him.
Have you seen the size of his donger??
It looks like a bit of 4x4 fence post sanded down a bit.
Chances are you'd end up butterflied and used for bait.
Lucky for us he's a very casual type of fellow who doesn't fazzle easily. :)

bluefin59
24-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Scalem its good to see you are enjoying your new boat and at the end of the day your the captain you make the big calls whether its the conditions or where you go ,all ideas are accepted but not always followed up on . I mostly take the wife but i have a handful of people i would call on if i want or need the company but i always have a game plan that i leave the ramp with and thats usually what happens . As far as boats sitting in yards go i do agree a lot of them are just garden ornaments and i find it amusing they think they are good value when they go to sell them with 40 hrs on them after 4 yrs ,mine has 750hrs up now in 6 yrs and is way reliable and i still feel i dont use it enough but sometimes weather and work get in the way . At the end of the day YOU make the calls YOUR responsible for your deckies and yourself if they dont like it dont take them again stick to your plan and if it doesnt work out other ideas can always come into play . Good to see the new boat is going well for you ....Matt

Camhawk88
24-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Said mate turned up late for an early start which is not the best way to begin. We got onto the fish again and he was rapt but I wasn't just lots of niggly things that add up.

Yep that pisses me off no end.

I have taken some mates out in the knowledge they cant fish and generally have no idea. I do it cos they are mates, I enjoy their company and love to see them get stretched by something 100 times bigger than the only other fish they have caught in their life.

However... If I say be around home at 4am and be ready to go I do not mean 5:30ish and after 3 bloody phone calls. I dont get out of bed at that time just for the fun of it there is usually a reason. Apart from that Im pretty casual.

Camhawk88
24-11-2010, 04:42 PM
That reminds me.
If anyone goes fishing with Webby never argue with him.
Have you seen the size of his donger??
It looks like a bit of 4x4 fence post sanded down a bit.
Chances are you'd end up butterflied and used for bait.
Lucky for us he's a very casual type of fellow who doesn't fazzle easily. :)

I dont usually get that close to my fishing mates.:o

I spose the piss tube is a redundant feature on his boat?;D

Jarrah Jack
24-11-2010, 08:19 PM
However... If I say be around home at 4am and be ready to go I do not mean 5:30ish and after 3 bloody phone calls. I dont get out of bed at that time just for the fun of it there is usually a reason. Apart from that Im pretty casual.

Gee mate you're easy going. My mate was ten minutes late and I was just out the gate when I saw his lights. I just take off, hate waiting especially when there is a narrow window to fish at dawn. I always say to the crew that if your a bit late and the boat has gone then hurry on down to the ramp. You may be lucky.

Camhawk88
24-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Easy going I am. Forgiving I aint.
Fished in 40m of water that day re-anchored 30 times!
He has gained a berth a few times since and turned up early every time.

Tangles
24-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Hero status Camhawk88, i am impressed, probably need an OHS person on your boat though

But re-anchoring 30 times.. couldnt you find your mark mate?

TimD
25-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I hate deckies that waste my cheese and bacon rolls ::)

tunaticer
25-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I admit I am the worlds worst deckie, simply because i hate being in someone elses boat.
I take plenty of ppl fishing in my boat and seldom have a disappointing day out.

But to be perfectly honest, these days I enjoy fishing solo a whole lot more than with a deckie. Maybe its just one of those things about getting old....or cranky.....or silly....or hard to get along with. But hey, I am happy being solo.

onerabbit
25-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Need to apologise for a cranky general response to the original question,
(about a page back).

I am skipper of my boat, and my decision is final,
but the opinion of my regular deckie of many years now is always considered......
sometimes I get it wrong or get into a pattern.

Newbies or infrequent deckies get less.....unless they are skipper of their own boat, and understand the local conditions.

Seems the term DECKIE means the same thing as fishing mate to most people here?

Muzz

timddo
25-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I thought a deckie is the anchor boy. The wet boy who holds the boat on scold night

Jackinthebox
25-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought a deckie is the anchor boy. The wet boy who holds the boat on scold night

That's what I call 'em when we are heading out "better get those muscles ready anchor boy" ;D

Just like Jack though, I am perfectly happy going out by myself and always seem to hook plenty of good fish when I don't have a "net boy", "gaff boy" or cameraman.

Mick

TimD
25-11-2010, 08:37 PM

You have an electric anchor winch, no need for an anchor boy ;D

I am the idiot that stands in the freezing water holding your boat if i have to though :'(

I even pull in your 14kg longtails while your up the front apparantly having a leak (playing with your doodle) :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)