PDA

View Full Version : Reef Picks

Knotpretty
20-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm making a new reef pick and looking for advice on the best length and bend angle on the spikes. Basically what has worked best for you. mojo

Dignity
20-11-2010, 07:48 AM
SS, I usually make mine from a large eye bolt with the rodds welded on the end and a piece of water pipe forced over the lot so that the end of the water pipe is about 50 mm past the weld. This stops the rods from breaking off at the weld and adds weight to the lot without having to pour lead down the pipe. I also then weld a chain link near the head and connect the chain there and zippy tie the chain along the shaft of the anchor, this allows the anchor to be pulled out on those occassions when the eye of the anchor gets caught up under a reef and also I think minimises damage to the reef. After all we need the reef to keep producing fish for us.

The other thing I have found is that 4 tynes is not enough and you will generally struggle to get good purchase first time and that 5 tynes is much better. Dont make the tynes too long, mine are only about 300 mm.

In desparation I once made one out of threaded rod as it was all I could lay my hands on as I had not replenished my supply and found it straightened much easier than solid rod, use it in good conditions as once again trying to preserve the reef.

I have used a mooloolaba pick recently but I am not convinced that it works any better especially if there is a fair bit of wire weed around on the reef.

Knotpretty
20-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I have incorporated the pull from the head and vip tie feature also 6 tynes is being trialled. I'll try 300mm length see how it works. Will post post photo when this monumental feat of modern day engineering is completed. Thanks for the reply Dig. mojo

Dignity
21-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Mojo, look forward to seeing the end result. I am not at home for a caouple of weeks otherwise would post pic of mine.

Sam

-spiro-
21-11-2010, 07:53 AM
mate head to a boatting shop and look at Mlba pick. There easy to make but trying to get the angle right is the hard thing.

Dignity
21-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Spiro, do they stock mba picks down south, only guessing as the panthers logo is included in mojo's avatar. Also I have seen where people weld a rod about 30mm long onto each flange, do you know if this helps in any way.

daveylad
22-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I bought one at Mooloolaba I think it was Flannery's or some irish name fishing shop on Parkyn Parade, they stock them there, I lost mine first time out at barwon banks when it stuck fast on a reef, I now use a pick and never had a problem the Mooloolaba wont straightne out

Noelm
22-11-2010, 10:39 AM
main thing to remember when making your own reef pick is, choose the size of the "prongs" to suit you boat, and do not make them too long, the store bought reef picks are OK if cut half the prong off, other wise they are useless, they just straighten out in almost any breeze, use a good legnth of chain, but not too much, or it can get caught and you will never get it back.

Knotpretty
22-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Noelm I will shorten the prongs a bit and trial it next time out. I have seen some very strange designs in reef picks. Mine just might be one of them. Thanks for the reply will post pics when completed. Based in Ballina NSW mojo

Lucky_Phill
22-11-2010, 08:07 PM
The pics below are of the anchor system I use in the smaller boat. Note length of shaft. Note clamp near top of prongs. note length of chain. This works very well on hard to hold bottom, gravel etc.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Anchorsystem2.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Anchorsystem3.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Anchorsystem1.jpg

Cheers Phill

Dignity
22-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I bought one at Mooloolaba I think it was Flannery's or some irish name fishing shop on Parkyn Parade, they stock them there, I lost mine first time out at barwon banks when it stuck fast on a reef, I now use a pick and never had a problem the Mooloolaba wont straightne out

Davey, I have lost picks at the Barwons. The mba anchor has a loop at the head to which you connect your chain and then use zippy ties (about 4 - 5 is enough ) along the the length of the shaft and eye. Then if it gets stuck they break and you pull from the front. Similar set up for the reef pick, as mentioned weld a link near the head and connect your anchor there.

levinge
23-11-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm making a new reef pick and looking for advice on the best length and bend angle on the spikes. Basically what has worked best for you. mojo

Take a look at the design of a Moolooloobah Pick, you may change your design all together....I have one and never looked back once I started using it. lost 4 or 5 Reef Picks over the years but I have had this pick for over 1 months now and easiest thing to lift and set.

Mrs Ronnie H
23-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi
We had our anchor made south side -- six prong filled with lead approx cost 40 bucks. approx length is 68 cm from end to end. Hose clamp is approximately 16 cms from top of pipe.
see pics below

Ronnie

peterbo3
23-11-2010, 05:57 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2582Medium.jpg
Here you are. One Mooloolaba pick. If ya want the angles & the sizes of the flukes yell out.

daveylad
24-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Looking at these threads I reckon my Mllba pick had too much chain on it it had about 10 or more metres and we were in about 70 metres of water I had it on properly, cable ties etc but it may have been the chain that was caught, I've only got about 5 metre of heavier stuff on now and seems okay. I thnk I'll stick to the reef picks for the time being.

Knotpretty
25-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the pics fellows. I will post pics of mine when completed mojo