PDA

View Full Version : Filling old screw holes in transom

Wax_head
18-11-2010, 07:48 PM
What product would you use to fill old screw holes from a removed transducer.

The boat I just bought had 2 sounders and I only require 1.

I have had a google of products and rang around the local haunts like BCF, Repco, Witworths, northcoast boating. Whitworths have a product that is a epoxy putty that is white and is pretty easy to use and is around $20.

When I googled what to use Marine Tex kept coming up but no one seems to have it here on the sunnycoast. I would like to fix these holes so they are sound and so that no water can get in as this boat is a big investment for me.

Like to know if anybody else has had an experience in doing this little job. The holes are only small but if water got in it could become a big job.

Cheers,

dreemon
18-11-2010, 08:11 PM
epifill, 2 part stuff and very easy to use , dries white, strong and sands easy enough, I got mine fr whittworths, plenty of other ways to plug holes but I really like this stuff, Cheers

eureka
18-11-2010, 08:41 PM
if it's a glass boat why not used glass and top it with a bit of gel coats jus like you would with ding

bigjimg
18-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I would drill out the holes with a slightly larger drill bit ,blow out to clean,then fill with flow coat coloured to match.Apply with artists brush to slightly over fill and sand off flush with 400 800 and then 1200 wet/dry paper.Polish with medium cut then final polish.Job done.Jim

Micadogs
19-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi Waxhead, I will second bigjimg's method. The reason why you drill out the holes a little more is to get whatever sealent that has been used out of the holes, nothing will stick to it. Use the brush to coat the hole before filling also. This way, you have a barrier to the water then the filling (which realistically is just one more brushstroke), is cosmetic. Regards Adam