PDA

View Full Version : tiller arm extension

shanejohnson
18-11-2010, 06:48 AM
I have a 14 foot tinny with 30hp suzuki that has a short tiller. I have had a cheap $30 cheapy that fell apart and was danderous. Any recomend a good safe one for offshore as well.

Noelm
18-11-2010, 07:03 AM
I dont think anyone makes a "good" one, in fact I think I read somewhere that they are not legal, (at least in NSW) but I could be wrong (I often am)

shanejohnson
18-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Oh if they are not legal i'll stop lookin for one thanks mate. I'm in nsw and seen people with them but doesn't mean they are legal. A good one would sure make life easier. I'll ask waterways today if legal.

Noelm
18-11-2010, 07:44 AM
yep, good idea, I just thought I read about it in an artical some time back, but the Maritime are the ones to ask, they are a pretty simple concept, dont really know why they would be even thought of as being in any way dangerous!

oldboot
18-11-2010, 09:04 AM
My big brother simply has a piece of plumbing pipe that fits tight on the hand grip.

slips it over the hand grip gives it a good thump and it stays there.

If ya wanted it nice you could slit the tube a fit some sort of clamp and make a nice hand grip.

cheers

Noelm
18-11-2010, 09:50 AM
that is kind of how the store bought ones are, except a bit flasher.

shanejohnson
18-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I called waterways today, intersting reply. The officer said he knows the legislation well and has never read anything about extensions been illeagal. But said if ya had a dodgy one that caused an accident he would want to no why. I have had the cheap ones fall apart and had 2 inch pipe as well and just dont work properly too dangerous. Thaught there would be a good one out there. I'll keep lookin.

Noelm
18-11-2010, 12:31 PM
OH well there you go, I must have been dreaming or confused about some other sill law they wanted to enforce.

oldboot
18-11-2010, 01:28 PM
If ya thinkin about plastic pipe, Id be looking for something a but stronger than the rubish that passes for drainage pipe these days.

some preasure pipe or orange electrical conduit would be lots stronger, and less likely to go brittle.

A meter of ally is reasonable cheap still.

cheers

b j p
18-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I use a peice of PVC that is slight too small with a couple of slits it it so it expands just enough to slip over the top. Works fine for my puposes and also stops you pissing on the side of the boat.

Jackinthebox
18-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I use a peice of PVC that is slight too small with a couple of slits it it so it expands just enough to slip over the top. Works fine for my purposes and also stops you pissing on the side of the boat.

Oh boy, I can't miss this opportunity ...

are you saying that you have a "multi-purpose" extension sleeve ? ;D

sounds like a good idea, but what about those that may be "over endowed"

Just think 12th man version of Tony Greig commenting on a streaking Max Walker .................................................. .......

"Look at that Bill, it looks like a baby's arm holding an apple!" :D

Dave_H
19-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Works fine for my puposes and also stops you pissing on the side of the boat.

Now that is a cracker of an idea!

Love it!

nigelr
19-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Used a piece of PVC pipe for years with my first boat (the same as yours, 14' and 30hp), worked a treat and quite good indeed once you get the hang of it. Mine had the slits to give a tight fit, was about 1.6m long as I had a wavebreaker and used to drive from just forward of halfway.

no eye deer
20-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I use a peice of PVC that is slight too small with a couple of slits it it so it expands just enough to slip over the top. Works fine for my puposes and also stops you pissing on the side of the boat.

Your a genius!!

Now I have to find a piece of 90 mm poly pipe;D

Mark

finga
20-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a piece of 32mm aluminium tube that slips inside one of those vertical flush mounted rod holders that I put in the front bench seat in 'Junior'.
It has a couple of slots cut into it like a gimble so it doesn't slip around when you least expect, or want, it to.
We call it the p!ss pole.