PDA

View Full Version : Plate vs glass

jricho
09-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Plate vs glass
Looking at upgrading my boat at themoment and have been looking at a tabs wildfisher 4800 also looking at the Galeforce 4800 same length just not surewhat to go with never had a glass boat and looking for pros and cons of both! The Galeforce is decked out with the lot and is 12 grand cheaper then the wildfisher! Will mainly be used in estuary fishing and quite a few yearly trips up the territory borooloola and daly river areas! Any input would be greatly appreiciated! Cheers

Captain Seaweed
09-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I would go a plate boat. I have had both and believe for what you need you will have a better day in a plate boat. If you were doing more offshore then I would go a glassboat for that size as I believe you would have a better ride. Travelling to remote rivers and streams in the Territory, a plate hull would be more robust with pulling it up on banks and towing over dirt roads.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference (before I get shot down) This is what I would do, other may disagree.

Cheers

Marty

jricho
09-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah they are my thoughts exactly can bash the plate boat round a bit more than the glass boat. And come home without repairs to be done guess spending the e tar monies will be well worth it! Cheers

dodgyone
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Im a hard core glass man but if you are looking at towing long distances on gravel I would definately go plate. And spend more on a top class trailer.

Donny Boy
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I would go a plate boat. I have had both and believe for what you need you will have a better day in a plate boat. If you were doing more offshore then I would go a glassboat for that size as I believe you would have a better ride. Travelling to remote rivers and streams in the Territory, a plate hull would be more robust with pulling it up on banks and towing over dirt roads.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference (before I get shot down) This is what I would do, other may disagree.

Cheers

Marty

Marty !!! :o

You Turncoat !!!!! :o:o

I'm shocked !!! :o:o:o

Mind you..........I wouldn't bloody know anyway....... :-[

I've forgotten what water looks like............:'(

bigjimg
09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
For an extra 12 grand it must be gold plated.The Tabs will be better off when pulled up on a bank and for the dirt road hauling.Mind you for the 12 grand saved you could get a special trailer kitted up and some stainless keelguards fitted for the glass hull and still have some left over to buy some more fishing gear.Decisions decisions.Jim

Almako
09-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Are you buying a boat, or a trailer. I'd buy the boat for it's performance in the water, you can buy stone guards etc for whilst your trailering.
Take both boats for a spin in 20 knots, whichever is the softer ride is the one to buy.
In my opinion...

Greg P
09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Those Galeforces would handle anything the Tabs would in the water and then some. I would lean that way as they are a top notch build and as mentioned get a top notch trailer set up for the roads/tracks. That's what will bugger the boat - plate or glass

I don't know that Tabs model but I wouldn't call any of them full plate - maybe that one is different.

finding_time
09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Those Galeforces would handle anything the Tabs would in the water and then some. I would lean that way as they are a top notch build and as mentioned get a top notch trailer set up for the roads/tracks. That's what will bugger the boat - plate or glass

I don't know that Tabs model but I wouldn't call any of them full plate - maybe that one is different.

What he said!!!;)

jricho
10-11-2010, 11:24 AM
like the idea of plate can bash it round without the stress involved of damaging it, any one have any ideas of manufactures of a good plate boat that i can put a decent size motor for top end speed and not have to give a arm or leg for?

Noelm
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
can't quite get why people think an alloy boat can take knocks more than glass, both materials are very strong, any glass boat that gets a hole in it from being pulled up on the sand/beack/river bank would not be worth owning, both materials will get gouges in them, one will bend, the other will get a scratch maybe, but a force big enough to punch a hole in a decent glass boat, will do enough damage to alloy to require attention too!

Camhawk88
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
12k is a big difference- are you comparing a new TABS to a 2nd hand Galeforce here? Haven't been in either but hear Galeforce give a great ride- but will that be a major consideration if you are only fishing estuaries? I would think not. I think (and i may be wrong here- feel free to correct me) that the Galeforce has quite a deep V so I imagine the TABS would be more stable at rest which is a significant advantage if you are casting lures or setting pots in a creek. The plate will likely be a bit lighter so easier to push off sand or mud bars if need be. I hope for your sake you wont need to get out and push in Booraloola!
I would go the plate for that style of fishing but 12k more?- I might reconsider.

nickstock
10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
The Galeforce would absolutely kill the TABS in ride, fishability, comfort and resale.

Spend the extra on protecting the bottom of your hull for the once or twice a year that you will go to the Gulf.

The wide large Gulf and Territory rivers can get a bastard of a chop on them, a chop that I would not want to be in a TABS in!

Nick

STUIE63
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
go the galey for me but someone has already said to go for a ride in both preferably in not so ideal weather and the decision will be made for you . try and walk around in the galey as well they are quite a stable hull for the deep vee
Stuie