PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on replacement boat please

fat-buoy
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I currently have a Stessco alloy 5.3m cuddy cab with a 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke and due to recently having a back operation am thinking that I will have to sell this one and buy a fibreglass model to help iron out some of the bumps while on the water. My back just won't be up to the slap that comes with alloy boats.

I am thinking of looking up to around the $30k - $35k mark (obviously not new at that price but the newer the better)

So essentially I am looking for info on what peoples opinions are on different boats.. not trying to start a slanging match but rather some constructive opinions on what people have found with regard to slapping into the chop while motoring at around the 20knot mark and stability at rest.

Ideally I would rather keep between the 5m - 6m mark and would definitely be looking at 4 stroke motors only.

Boats I have liked so far include Haines Signature, Mustang, Whittley etc.. half cab / cuddy cab and used for cruising in the river with the missus and also heading off shore to go bottom bashing.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chimo
09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Fat

Suggest you add the Seafarer boats to your list, they are heavy (thick frp) so they do ride well esp at the speeds you indicated.

I blew L4 and L5 in my back and even in my Vag I find a hi density foam wedge added to your seat will help especially at speeds higher than your talking when doing ocean runs.

Cheers
Chimo
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9066249
PS http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?Ntx=&D=Seafarer&N=896+604+750+685&Dx=&Ntk=Make&Ntt=Seafarer

Captain Seaweed
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
You could look at a Noble platey, also iron out the bumps.

Marty

Crocodile
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Hello fat-buoy (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=58035) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1222451", true); ,

sorry to hear, I too am a bad back person.
When moving all of the above will be pretty good, I find that the rock and roll at rest can be a source of discomfort and fatigue for me.
I had a lesser budget so I bought a Webster Twinfisher cat ( off a guy who had a bad back), nicer ride than a tinny and far more stable, so maybe consider a small cat.
I also use a strap device called a Nada chair that is a big help, http://www.nadachair.com.au/
Maybe one of those wrap-around elastic braces(a bit like a kidney belt) that you get in chemists would help.

brisbane_boy
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
unfortunately 35k wont buy u a kevlacat, i have been in many average 5-6m mono boats and am not keen on any really as far as ride goes.

imo stay away from cuddy cab and get a tiller steer with a good foil on it or get a console to the rear of midships. the best ride is always from the back of the boat.

Jackinthebox
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
unfortunately 35k wont buy u a kevlacat, i have been in many average 5-6m mono boats and am not keen on any really as far as ride goes.

imo stay away from cuddy cab and get a tiller steer with a good foil on it or get a console to the rear of midships. the best ride is always from the back of the boat.

I agree with BB, get a centre console. Or a centre cab if you still want the protection from the elements - you want to stay away from the front of the boat.

D river
10-11-2010, 06:31 AM
I refused a back op 9yrs ago, they wanted to fuse 5 vertibre. F*ck that. Since then I've done mostly labour intensive work for $ and I rarely have trouble. Mate I recon tough it out a little longer and get to the gym asap, If you strenghthen your core and all the other muscles attached to it you'll find your back problems wont be anywhere near as bad. A glass boat up rivers and creeks aint much fun N as soon as you go glass think lots more fuel or bigger outboard. (I own a 5.2m glass boat) The boat you got sounds almost perfect for what your doing. That or a plate boat mate but they will be fair amount of $ for a nice 1 with good 4 stroke outboard. Dodge the tiller steer mate as sitting down sucks balls on ya back, I even took all the seats out of my 5.2. As soon as I sit in a boat I have lots of trouble sleeping and bending etc. Good luck mate I feel your frustration but its all worked for me so hope the same for you.

PADDLES
10-11-2010, 08:43 AM
hi fat buoy, you've asked a "how long is a piece of string?" question. there's sh!tloads of boats out there in the price range you're looking at. bottom line is though that weight is the key, people can tell ya how their platey is fantastic or glass is best till the cows come home, but the heavier boat will win out when the going gets nasty. as chimo has said, one of the heaviest mass production boats out there is the seafarer, haines hunters aren't too far behind, then there's the low production hardcore stuff. do you stand up when you drive and let your legs do the work?

Camhawk88
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
[quote=Chimo;1222462]

I blew L4 and L5 in my back and even in my Vag

Jeez Chimo- busted vertebre in the back must hurt but one can only imagine the painof doing one in your Vag!:o

sorry mate couldn't resist;D

fat-buoy
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Fat

Suggest you add the Seafarer boats to your list, they are heavy (thick frp) so they do ride well esp at the speeds you indicated.

I blew L4 and L5 in my back and even in my Vag I find a hi density foam wedge added to your seat will help especially at speeds higher than your talking when doing ocean runs.

Cheers
Chimo
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9066249
PS http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?Ntx=&D=Seafarer&N=896+604+750+685&Dx=&Ntk=Make&Ntt=Seafarer

Thanks guys.. :)

Yeah it was my L4/L5 I blew also.. (labouring as a young fella killed my back) It has only been 3 months since the operation to trim the disc and chop away the bone around the sciatic nerve, I didn't need to have the vertabrae fused yet so I will hopefully come better than I am now as my muscles are still pretty ordinary down there and it doesn't take much to hurt me.. (Now I am a 120kg big ugly girl. haha)::)

I generally stand up under way as I find that I can use my legs to cushion the impacts and have bought a sheet of foam for under foot.. I also have a wrap around corsett thing that I got for my rehab.. I know that will come in handy :).. I will have to lose some of that 120kg too... :-[

I won't get a C/C as my last boat was just not up to the job of cruising around with the missus.. great for fishing but not an all rounder.

I have considered the Websters though.. I do like that they are up around the 5m mark and you don't really need 2 motors on the back... still a possibility but I do like the cabin area which you do lose in those cats.

I have been doing a bit of looking and I reckon I can pick up a reasonable boat for the $30k mark and if I sell mine for close to the $25k mark I will be very happy.

Cheers to all.. it is good to know that I am not alone in having the back thing but still wanting to be out on the water.. my physio wasn't quite so supportive.;)

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey mate

A 5.3 Haines or Seafarer will ride twice as good as the Stessco in the slop, the bigger/longer you go it will only get better.

Cheers

VS

oldboot
10-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your back mate.

But if you like your existing boat......have a bit of a think before you toss it over for a new one.

If you have a major op, particularly skeleton related it will be at least 12 months before you are properly recovered...... then if all goes well you'll be better than before.

Mean time hop into that physio.....and once you back is better ya might be a bit more active and perhaps a little lighter.....all that goes well for your back.

meantime...have you tried stowing a 100KG or so of sand bags in the boat..that might spoften things in the short term.

Ya don't want to force yourself into a change you don't want, then find your strength has returned and the problem does not exist.

cheers

finga
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
What about getting one of those suspension seats??
They work mighty fine on ironing out the bumps and your always going to get bumps in a boat no matter what size or make :)

Like these
http://www.smoothmovesseats.com/
http://www.shockwaveseats.com/

Jarrah Jack
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I would be thinking the webster as well or a similiar sized cat if there is one. Not necessarily because of the ride when underway but also because of stability at rest which is usually the glass deep v's downfall. A really good suspension seat can help with the ride in any boat but I find when I have a sore back being bashed around at rest can do a lot of damage as well.

BOMBIE
11-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

I currently have a Stessco alloy 5.3m cuddy cab with a 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke and due to recently having a back operation am thinking that I will have to sell this one and buy a fibreglass model to help iron out some of the bumps while on the water. My back just won't be up to the slap that comes with alloy boats.

I am thinking of looking up to around the $30k - $35k mark (obviously not new at that price but the newer the better)

So essentially I am looking for info on what peoples opinions are on different boats.. not trying to start a slanging match but rather some constructive opinions on what people have found with regard to slapping into the chop while motoring at around the 20knot mark and stability at rest.

Ideally I would rather keep between the 5m - 6m mark and would definitely be looking at 4 stroke motors only.

Boats I have liked so far include Haines Signature, Mustang, Whittley etc.. half cab / cuddy cab and used for cruising in the river with the missus and also heading off shore to go bottom bashing.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

CheersI too have had & got both, a bad back ,and a bad ,,well I got rid of the boat !! but do what i did ,saved my back & mind/wallet and went POLY ...still have'nt broken it or my back !!

fat-buoy
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't know that I can go Poly.. had a look at them a while back but they just don't have the range that I am looking at..

Tell you what I do like the look of and unfortunately it is just a pipe dream at this stage because of cost ($50k +).. the Tournament 1900 ... I am frothing for one of them! haha

On the smaller side I can pick up a reasonably new Yalta Craft with a 4 stroke 90 for around the $30k mark ... has anyone had experience, good or bad, with them?

Jarrah Jack
12-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Good boats the yalta.Have a look at this thread for some handy info

.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=138982&highlight=yalta

fat-buoy
12-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hmm the 535 allrounder looks to be about the size I would want so that I can still move it around ok.... they do look good.. sort of on par with the Tournament 1750... but a bit cheaper... can get a yalta that is only 4 years old with a nice 4 stroke for under $30k ... that is not too bad. :)