PDA

View Full Version : Markups on batteries

timddo
09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Just a heads up. M70 Seamaster gold $154. I had a few quotes and it ranges from $154 to $210.

Now all the batteries come from the same factory . etc rep, so you think prices should be the same or are we use to getting ripped off. >:(

Another hint, Just becoz ur battery has a green light on it. It does not mean it's working.:'(

oldboot
09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
there are 2 possible issues, firstly some of the retailers may be getting a bit greedy, but it may be equally true that some of them may may not be on a good deal themselves.

There are many items I will not buy or sell, because I can buy them "retail" from one of my larger competitors cheaper than I can buy "wholesale".

cheers

Bros
09-11-2010, 05:29 PM
There is a third possibility "old stock" I know of someone who bought a couple of AGM batteries cheap only to find out they were 4 years old. Batteries need to be looked after when in storage so it pays to find out how old they are before you buy. I would have no idea what if any batteries are made in Australia, I know AGM's aren't.

perko
09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I sell about 500 supercharge batteries a year and get a good enough deal off them. The mark up is completely up to the retailer, but the rep always tells me I am too cheap. There is different wholesale buying levels but it would only vary by $10-15 dollars. Best bet is to make a few calls and you will soon work out who is ripping you off. As for the green light, it only measures the state of the charge in the cell that it is located. If the battery has dropped a cell elsewhere it won't start your engine but still can be in the green.

wayno60
09-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Ol boot,
thats the same as the corner shop up the road , when coles have a sale on coke he buys it from them. They sell a bottle cheaper than he can buy it for.
i think its down to buying power....some of the larger battery places probable but for all the shops in one go and get the bigger discount..

finga
10-11-2010, 07:00 AM
There is a third possibility "old stock" I know of someone who bought a couple of AGM batteries cheap only to find out they were 4 years old. Batteries need to be looked after when in storage so it pays to find out how old they are before you buy. I would have no idea what if any batteries are made in Australia, I know AGM's aren't.
That
s why all those batteries that are not acid filled should have a build date and sell before date on them.
So the consumer knows exactly how old the bloody thing is.
We have use by dates on table salt and bottled water so why not batteries??
And with an acid type battery I always buy them dry.

Bros
10-11-2010, 08:04 AM
That
s why all those batteries that are not acid filled should have a build date and sell before date on them.

They do! it is OK to get a AGM battery that is a couple of years old provided it is recharged every 6 months as stated by the manufacturer, but you need to know this and decide if you want to go ahead.

This is the date code for Ritar and I think most other AGM's are the same.

Hello, Ritar have asked me to assist in your inquiry.

The date code is engrave in the top lid and has 6 letters.

090807 – 7th of August 2009

070309 – 9th of March 2007

timddo
10-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't really know how old the battery was but it had to be ordered from the supplier, so i assume it's a newby. Just down the road about 5 km it's around $190. Sticker had 10,11,12.

oldboot
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Lots of this stuff the average consumer would not even think about.

There is just an assumption that if it is on the shelf in a shop it must be "NEW" ie recently manufactured stock.........

Often not the case......even the stock on manufacturers wharehouse shelves can have some age under it.

always better to buy where the stock turns over regularly.

OH and that "OH everybody gets the same price line", many times I have worked off price lists and have been expecting that I get the good wholesale price...only to find there is another price list or another collumn in the price list or some extra discount or rebate for those selected few favoured customers.

These companies just don't understand we may have mates in those larger companies that are happy to tell us all about it and even show us the price lists.

You will never get a proper "wholesale price" on consumer dry batteries from the two major brands, they will sell you the black industrial battery telling you it is a different product and it will be slightly cheaper...... but it is the same product with a different paint job, and the only saving you are getting is because they are not retail packed......... they sell to the major supermarkets very much cheaper.

fortunately the dry battery market has opened up and the quality of the second string brands has improved to a point where there is no difference between them and the major brands.

I doubt there is the vast margin in automotive type batteries as there is in consumer dry batteries.... but you can bet there is a bit more margin tucked away somewhere for a large volume buyer.

cheers

BM
10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Battery wholesalers rotate the stock of their retailers to make sure they don't end up with too many old batteries in stores. Usually when the batteries get too old they end up being "clearanced" off. The retailers who move larger quantities usually have better ability to get their older stock rotated out of store.

Bros
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Finish the story where do they get clearanced off to?? Other battery suppliers, mug buyers, backyarders etc

"clearanced" off.

oldboot
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Yep, some how, some where, some day, someone is going to get that stale battery.

Hmmmm probably in that used car ya just baught.;D

cheers

Bros
10-11-2010, 11:53 PM
I know where the old AGM's go to. They are bought by backyarders who advertise them on Evil Bay and sell them to unsuspecting caravanners.

perko
11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Usually they rotate your stock well before they are too old and get them to a larger retailer that will sell them quickly. I would not have any batteries on the shelf for more than 3 months. Calcium batteries are supposed to hold there charge for up to 12 months.

honda900
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Timmdo,

where did you get the battery from.. I got one sick puppy in my boat, not even 2 years old, M70.. Yep, on the green light... I paid 195 for it 2 years ago..

Regards
HOnda

timddo
11-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Atlas batteries

Atlas Batteries Ipswich
6 Blessington Way, Flinders View, QLD 4305
p: (07) 3288 6355##f: (07) 3288 6344
Website - None Supplied
Email | Travel directions

get the gold one

honda900
11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
both Mine are gold, bought a couple of months appart to make sure they were not from the same batch.

too far to go tho, would cost more in time and effort.. than saving 40.00 thanks again tho.

Regards
Honda.

MyWay
12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
u just could call RACQ and they will deliver marine battery for free if you member , and i know non is more old than 3 mounts . And ones it get 6. mounts old it will go to scrap .