PDA

View Full Version : south passage bar, navigation

rando
09-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Can I plot a track out thru SPB on Google earth,or are the maps too out of date to be reliable
Cheers
Rando

Noelm
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess you could, but I doubt I would ever rely on it for navigation, especially at night or poor visibility.

Vitamin Sea
09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Northern, middle or amity Rando, not that it really matters. I don't think that I would ever rely on a map to go in or out of a bar, they change to much to often.

Have a look on the day, the chanel is usually pretty clear, northern end anyways.

Coming back in following a plot from earlier in the day is a little different.

Cheers

Bill

tropicrows
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Have a look at this web site

http://www.nearmap.com/

You don't get the clarity as Google earth but the maps are updated every few months, and you can see how the bar changes

seastorm
10-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Just do a small test at home first, find your own house on google earth get the GPS marks then jump into your boat and turn your GPS on you might find that they are way out as they might use different datum

Captain Seaweed
10-11-2010, 06:11 AM
No I wouldnt. Speak to Bill Corten or do one of his courses and he could update you regularly if youyr nice to him. I have found the bar change within 4 weeks dramatically. I always came home via the Amity Channel but a few weeks later it was totally gone then 2 weeks later it started to come back.
I would see Bill for a bar crossing course and he will teach you a lot about that bar.
Once I plotted a start mark I would only navigate the bar by sight and use sounder and gps as "reference" only.

Marty

TimiBoy
10-11-2010, 06:45 AM
No I wouldnt. Speak to Bill Corten or do one of his courses and he could update you regularly if youyr nice to him. I have found the bar change within 4 weeks dramatically. I always came home via the Amity Channel but a few weeks later it was totally gone then 2 weeks later it started to come back.
I would see Bill for a bar crossing course and he will teach you a lot about that bar.
Once I plotted a start mark I would only navigate the bar by sight and use sounder and gps as "reference" only.

Marty

I'll second that. Plotting a course is one thing. Knowing how to handle the sh!tfight that place can become if things go nasty is another entirely. Bill will also teach you how to get through using the Mark I Eyeball, which is quite a trusty item out there.

Bill Corten: 0447 233 247 or 3286 3647.

Cheers,

Tim

tenzing
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Have a look at this web site

http://www.nearmap.com/

You don't get the clarity as Google earth but the maps are updated every few months, and you can see how the bar changes
A lttle off topic, but this mapping site is a bit good.
We have been doing some reno at home and it is interesting to see the aerial view change over the months.
Cheers
Brendan