PDA

View Full Version : Trailer saftey cert on northside

TheRealAndy
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Where does one go for this?

Might need some maintenance too, axles have surface rust, do I need to clean this up and paint for the saftey certificate?

CRAFTY24
08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Any place/garage that does a safety cert for your car will do trailers. Pretty sure Cunninghams or northside Marine do it as well.

lethal098
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
WHAT SIZE TRAILER IS IT? not all places that provide car safety certs do trailers, in fact most of them dont. Try the marine shops, surface rust wont really matter as long as all the lights work, the brakes are adjusted correctly and have pad life remaining, and structure is in good condtion, ie no rust holes, all boat trailers will have some surface rust. Make sure wheel bearings are adjusted correctly and no noises from them.

cheers Lee

DAVE_S
08-11-2010, 04:19 PM
PBL trailers at brendale do saftey certificates not shore if they do repairs .
Maybe let your fingers do the walk,n .

IcyDuck
08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
As per Lee's reply not all approved inspection stations do trailers as well as cars. Brisbane Isuzu at Burpengary did one for me when I moved a trailer from interstate. I'm pretty sure most trailer manufacturer's do them as well. You could try Northside Trailers at Brendale or give Qld Transport a call. They should be able to give you the name of a few businesses in your area that are approved for trailer inspections. A little surface rust shouldn't be a problem.

Seahorse
08-11-2010, 04:42 PM
beadmans at kipparing.
i got one for camper trailer there cfew months ago

cheers
greg

Flex
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Can always rip off the Vin plate and stickers weight it at the weigh bridge for $18 then say its a new registrable trailer:)

Little chicky babe will come out and measure it, flick and tick a few boxes and bob's your uncle. Just say it was an marina only trailer for the past 4 years and never been used on the road:)

cheaper than a safety cert if you wanna be dodgy... :)

TheRealAndy
08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Ahh, there is another point. It uses a lightboard. Will that pass the saftey?

The trailer must be a good 7m. Also wondering if it needs clearance lights, as they have been fitted in the past.

DAVE_S
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Ahh, there is another point. It uses a lightboard. Will that pass the saftey?

The trailer must be a good 7m. Also wondering if it needs clearance lights, as they have been fitted in the past.

Give peter a call at pbl trailers what he does,t know about trailers is,t worth knowing

oldboot
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Arrow caravans at Vaginia.

The penalties for removing a vin plate are immense if you get caught.

Have a look on the "all trailer spares" web site, there is a references page that limks to the VSB appropriate for trailers...that should give you all the details re lights.

Yeh I recon you will need clearance lights and remember the reflectors.

I'm scratchin' my head about light boards too.....if they are lagal I am wondering how.

The lights are one issue the regestration plate is another all together......the way I read it it should be "permanantly affixed"

I have not seen a new trailer with a light board on it.

cheers

TheRealAndy
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Actually, that place is around the corner old boot. Might give them a go. Problem is I need to do work on the trailer, but I cant do it when the boat is on it. I need to put it in the water, but any more than 2 days means barnacles. might have to leave it till the Christmas/new year break to get it sorted.

oldboot
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Toss it off on the lawn mate.

As long as you have a nice flatish, softish bit of lawn, its not much trouble to toss the boat off on the lawn.......ya might want to give youself a little extra clerance by putting a tyre under the stern.

But basicly......push or winch the boat off with the outboard tilted all the way up, let the stern drop ever so gently on the deck and slowly tow the trailer out from underneath it.

on the way back on.....unhitch the trailer.....shove the last roller right up under the bow, with the coupling pointing to the sky, and start winching.

A prop for under the drawbar is a handy thing at times..and some realy decent chocks.

you will winch the trailer under the boat a bit and the boat on the trailer a bit.....untill you have the point of ballance then you can push down on the drawbar and the rest is easy.

serioulsy not that hard of difficult with a bit of care.

I managed my 16 foot alloy that is tail heavy and arround 500KG on my own without event.
The brotherinlaw tossed his 14 footer off on his own and the two of us draged it on no worries.

If ya pulled the motor off it would be an absolute doddle.

cheers

TheRealAndy
09-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Lol, Its the trailer sailer, no outboard on this one! 2t and nearly 8m long! Hardstand is mostly gravel, plus there just is not enough room to get the trailer out. To get it out I would need boat length + trailer length + car length or there about.

Other option is to put trailer on blocks and remove springs and axles to take home. Probably do a better job that way.

oldboot
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
That is a different story.

Another option is to rent a space at a dry stand for a couple of days or a cradle at a local boat yard.

cheers

catfishkid
10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Hey andy,
when I sold the cruisecraft cliffords auto centre on rainbow st, just down the road from you did mine,close and easy.

Cheers Craig