PDA

View Full Version : boat skids leaving marks

timddo
08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
After two or so years of no maintenance to the trailer.:-?
I finally had a few hours to have a quick look. I noticed that where the skids use to be, they have left a mark and bent the plate in a little ( where the skid sits). You can't see a grove but can feel it on the bottom of the boat. The boat is made of 5083 grade Aluminium.

Is this normal or are the skids too high up. I don't drive on the trailer but do use an boat winch ( cheapy from ebay).

Jarrah Jack
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
The skids should not be taking any weight as such and only stopping the boat from tipping. The skids should also be able to straddle a few of the hull frames so that, if there's too much weight for some reason it is distributed over a larger area.

Hope that theory helps in orting it out. If the boat was a pressed one then the problem would be worse. Good platies are much stronger in that regard.

Chimo
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi

one would think if that if the hull is being affected the trailer supports are not set right for the boat or there may need to more support eg extra rollers etc. Only you know the answer and good luck with it as it would concern me too.

Cheers
Chimo

PADDLES
08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
i've always thought that for a tinny, the keel rollers were supposed to take most of the weight and for glass it's the opposite and the hull rollers are supposed to take most of the weight.

either way, a skid could still mark the bottom of your hull, continual rubbing/vibration (maybe just from towing the boat) will mark/wear alloy.

White Pointer
11-11-2010, 02:06 AM
G'day,

It's possible that one or more of the posts holding the skids has loosened and so the boat is not being evenly supported.

After two years without maintenance this might be causing damage to the boat. It is also possible that welds on the trailer have cracked and the trailer chassis is being held together by the rigidity of the boat and tie-downs.

I suggest that the only way to be sure is to have it looked at by someone who knows what to look for. This will probably mean dropping the boat off the trailer.

Regards,

White Pointer

PADDLES
11-11-2010, 07:48 AM
that's a killer white pointer and i've had it happen to me. somewhere between weipa and my mate's place at the horton the rear skid bracket broke and this dropped the rear of the skid slightly which made the bit of skid in front of the front bracket poke up through my hull. we didn't even realise until the boat was a bit sluggish whilst out fishing.