PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 4st 60 hp tiller? or merc 60hp 4st bigfoot tiller?

burleygu
07-11-2010, 01:45 PM
hey guys looking to buy a new motor for my 4.75 bluefin viking in the next week or so. not interested in etec and suzukis are to expensive so ive narrowed my decision down to a yamaha 60hp 4 stroke tiller or a mercury 60hp bigfoot 4 stroke tiller. both dealers of each tell me there products are the best etc etc,

guess im chasing opinions on what you guys would prefer and the reasons being.

i like the sound of the bigfoot as it runs a bigger gear box and bigger prop. and at the end of the day im hoping to acheive maximum speed and economy. would the big foot be much differnt to the yammy 60? i dunno guys help me make a decision.

neil_stessco
07-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Yamaha all the way.

rodneyk
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
bigger gear case doesnt equate to better performance on either outboard both available in larger gearcase version alot of people will say buy the bigfoot but truth is they are designed to drive hoseboats etc the normal gearbox will push better in yor case as there is a better prop selection in std props buy the way i know because ive done it and also a friend got talked into it buy the dealer and he stuffed around with aftermarket props for ages ;)

Leighton
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Not sure about the Merc but the I have a 50 4 Stroke Yam and the tiller lay out is awesome. Trim and tilt in a good spot as is the gear lever. I also use the variable trolling speed a lot

bugman
07-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm with Leighton,

I have a 60hp Yammy and find the little touches are good. The thumb tilt, the variable idle speed.

I run my tiller on a 5m Brooker dinghy and the fuel economy is exceptional. Alround a great robust little motor. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Brett

whatscracken
07-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I've also got a tiller steer 4 stroke Yamaha and can't fault it. Super quiet and uses bugger all fuel.

the baker
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Yamaha no doubt .....The Yamaha will go well straight off the rack, as Rodneyk said it is about the prop these are a well built unit. And if you want fuel economy I cant speak highly enough about the Yamaha.

Dave

burleygu
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks guys i was leaning towards yamaha as thats all ive ever had 2 strokes tho, and the yamaha from brisbane yamaha is 250 bucks cheaper then the mercury fitted so ..

Dan5
07-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey mate i have the warrior with a 60hp yammy.......it's a good set up.
With the 13g standard prop you should get around 30-32kts and the economy is very good with a cruise at around 24kts,The tiller layout is the best IMO but i have not checked out the Merc so it may be similar.I can get around 240-260ks out of the 60ltr underfloor tank.The motor only has around 400hrs but so far has been completly trouble free......Happy with mine.

Dan

Blusta
08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I had a Mercury 50 4-stroke EFI for 6 years. It was faultless. Agree with rodneyk about the bigger gearcase.

TheRealAndy
09-11-2010, 02:55 AM
have a 50hp merc on yacht club rescue vessel. Was good upto about 100 hours but now all problems starting to develop. First the control box, then over heats, now the alarm keeps screaming for reasons we or the mechanics cant figure out.

BTW. I am still convinced that the merc 50hp is actually a yam powerhead. Looks exactly the same.

murf
09-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I have the 60hp Merc forward controls, I believe that it is a Yamaha power head but don't know in the newer models

I have never seen another motor that starts as easy as mine????? (probably because mine is the best :P )

don't go the Big Foot, I have one but they are designed for big load pushing at lower speeds, I get 26knts but it is perfect at holding speed out in the deep blue sea

do the power trim motors still rust on the new Merc's?

I have never even looked at a tiller so no comment other than what suits you best

great motor either of them and you will not be disappointed

cheers Murf

burleygu
10-11-2010, 06:07 AM
thanks guys the decision is a yamaha few reasons being , cheaper ,proven and the dealer is 5 minutes down the road...

murf i thought to myself that could of been your bluefin on ebay'' with the ausfish stickers all over it and hooked up to a patrol. looks like a good rig mate you upgrading? i sold my formosa my viking is getting a big spruce up'

murf
10-11-2010, 06:51 AM
thanks guys the decision is a yamaha few reasons being , cheaper ,proven and the dealer is 5 minutes down the road...

murf i thought to myself that could of been your bluefin on ebay'' with the ausfish stickers all over it and hooked up to a patrol. looks like a good rig mate you upgrading? i sold my formosa my viking is getting a big spruce up'

Yes mate my boat on Evilbay, whoever gets it will get a good boat with so many little extras set up for fishing, I am upgrading at least 50mm so I don't have to wear a PFD1 100% of the time :'( I like my boat as it suits me perfectly but times a change
looking for a boat around the 5.2m with a little bit of a cuddy up front

you will love that motor on your boat :)

cheers Murf