PDA

View Full Version : inflatable life jackets - recommendations?

kevthommo
06-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi to all,

here in NSW new laws say I have to wear a life jacket whenever boating alone, or at night, amongst other restrictions and conditions. I usually go fishing/diving with one other.

Technically, when I launch while he parks the trailer I have to have a PFD on. He gets on board and I can take it off. If one of us has a swim the one in the boat has to put one on - not the one in the water - but that's another argument.

With all the restrictions it could be a case of "on again/off again". The ones we have on-board are the pillow-at-the-back-of-the-neck style. Great for floating but just not practical to wear generally. It would seem easier to just put on a light weight inflatable PFD and leave it on. I'm OK with safety issues, and all up its probably safer to wear one all the time - but -

- every type I've seen so far seems to be a dark colour (attract the heat), or
- jacket style, too hot for a sunny summer day where I would usually wear nothing above the speedos except a bit of Factor 30.

Can anyone recommend a light weight, comfortable PFD, not too restrictive in terms of movement and cool enough not to be a sweatbox in summer?

your preferences and recommendations would be much appreciated.

tightlines

kev

PinHead
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
we always wear inflatable jackets when o nthe yak..don't even know you have them on..sometimes even forget to take them off when we get back. Cannot remember the brand off the top of my head..grey in colour and would recommend them anytime. I am the opposite when o nthe water..always have long sleeves and a hat on..too many sun thingys burnt and cut off to want any more.

Dan5
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
RFD make a good reliable lightweight one........just set one off last week doing my huet course........the choppers use switzers they are a bit bulky i reckon.All of them would have to meet the minimum standard though.

Dan

oldboot
07-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt "Stormy", Australian made, every component available as a spare part, used by many of the VMR's, police and other maritime agencies.

They will provie "instructions" for self inspection in line with regs. You can't legaly service your own, even if you have everthing else in place, in the absence of manufacturer instructions.

One of the biggest advantages......NO dangling strings or toggles.....you pull the inflation cord by ripping of the velcro front of the pocket.

you can get them from a minimum vest, right thru to full storm jacket with integrated life jacket.

Mine also came with a pocket for a PLB.

I looked at lots of other before I paid more and baught the stormy.

cheers

PinHead
07-11-2010, 05:19 AM
when you self service..just sign the bit of paper..keep it on board and all is good.

cormorant
07-11-2010, 12:15 PM
The NSW laws are ridiculous .

I think I'll get a lifejacket tatoo and just redate with a new tatoo date each year. Nice and lightweight!!!

Dark colours are Ok as they don't get dirty as much and the Maratime are becoming such pedants if the jackets are dirty they want to inspect them more closely.

yep a safety log of all your gear on board might save you having to show every individual piece every time , receipt for service and date

Nanny state

PS Are you allowed to towel off of has the jacket got to go straight on??? What a joke and a income earner from fines. That's what happens when you have a broke labor govt..

kevthommo
07-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks, guys. Understand the dark colour won't show dirt as much but never thought a dirty PFD might become a target. Endorse the sun-safe message from PinHead, too, but generally want to avoid anything too hot or bulky - looks like it will be the Stormy + like the idea of supporting Aus made.

tight lines

Big Kev

cormorant
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Just confirin writing that from them that self service is suitable and remember that many inflatable jackets have a maximum life of XX years from manufacture. It is sometimes indicated by the number of service boxes on the valaise. Sometimes written on bladder. They won't last forever even with services.

If the weather gets that bad that apart from the rules requiring you to have a jacket on I would be goig for a solid quality PDF1 that you carry in the boat as you would hate to go in in a emergency situation and reliant on something that can deflate. There is no guarantee a inflatable will go off, or not be holed or split a seam etc. So if it turns to shit put on a proper jacket and I don't mean a $. may west .

Another thing. I have seen a few people wearing inflatables under other clothing that have slipped on as the wind comes up. Really bad idea as it means you can easily inflate and also your chest could be compressed if your clothing is strong enough.

White Pointer
07-11-2010, 06:53 PM
when you self service..just sign the bit of paper..keep it on board and all is good.

G'day,

Don't forget to fill in the service record on the inside of the PFD as well. I've had mine checked by the force and they were very happy that I'd taken the time to complete the records.

And don't just fill in the paperwork. Do the tests and be sure. It's not hard, unless you can't blow up a big balloon.

Regards,

White Pointer

Crocodile
07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello all,
I have just bought my inflatable, I feel so much safer now!!!!
None of the boat shops at the Tweed had any in stock, I think that they need to plan ahead.
I tried the more expensive ones but found that they were very heavy to wear and hung on the back of my neck.
To my shame I bought a cheap Marlin from BCF. It was comfortble, cheap, relatively light and the mechanism seemed to be the same as the other more expensive brand.
Nanny state BS.
I have a 4.3m Webster which is stable and has good internal freeboard so I am not likely to fall out, but I have to wear a jacket when by myself.
If I but 4.9m bass boat with zero internal freeboard I am OK, what a load of tosh.

oldboot
07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
The various differences on how the manufacturers specify servicing and product life are real considerations when purchasing an inflatable life jacket.

This has been discussed at length in the past.

But in short.

It is the manufacturers specifications and information that determine if you can or can not service your own inflatable life jacket.

If they provide the service information you can, if the manufacturer does not provide a service procedure you cant.

Some of the manufacturers have decided that they will not allow anybody to self service their jackets..so you have to return their jacket to them or their authorsied service agent........I costed this and on some of the cheaper jackets..they have a 12 month life..because it will cost you more than the purchase price to get the item serviced includng freight.

Additionaly some of the manufacturers specify a product life, I have seen some jackets on shelves with less than 5 years service life left.

Stormy do not specify a product life, and with access to all the parts, you they can last for ever..in theory.

The service agency I use, tell me they are annually servicing stormy product that is over 20 years old and in perfect condition...and they can still get the parts

Stormy are one of the few jackets that you can completly dis-assemble and obtain every single part as spares.... being economicaly viable is another thing.

If you are buying an inflatable jacket you need to ask the hard questions and get the proof.

Can this item be self serviced?

Who are the service agents for this product?

How much does a service cost?

Will this mean I have to pay freight? and how much?

Does this jacket have a specified service life?

If so, what is the date of manufacture on this jacket and when does the service life expire?

When do I next have to service this item?

When I baught my stormy, the suplier tested, certified and tagged that jacket on the day of purchase. So I had a full 365 days before my next service.

Additionaly the company I baught off, has full tracking of every item they sell and every service they do.

I take my jacket in annualy and they provide a certificate of test and fit a tag....all for under $50.....so I don't fiddle about.

cheers

marto78
08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont recommend the yellow ones off airplanes, I watched a guy inflate one once and it nearly popped his head off his shoulders lol
It was a mad scramble to find out how to deflate it while he was very red in the face ;D

darylive
06-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Old thread but always a current topic.
Be aware of the different states regulations. I have just travelled from Qld, through NSW, to Vic, all different.
Shop around, currently RTM have two Splashdowns for $100; Whittworths you can buy two Marlin for $100.

I can't recommend one over the other I have only had the Marlin which as I say are still in very good condition.

I have four all in good condition ( the two in the salt water boat have a little corrosion on the cylinders) but the service history facility in the jacket is full so I will buy another two new ones for $100 to appease the authorities. For that price it is cheap enough, much cheaper than $50 a year to service them.

Now what to do with the old ones? I have previously given them to kayak clubs and they are used on lakes by people who otherwise would not wear a jacket (QLD) because it is not required, but will wear an inflatable if given one.

NAGG
06-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Nanny state ?

I probably would have have thought that once ... a bit like seat belts.
You cant argue with statistics though .... I can’t remember but it was a very high percentage of boating fatalities in nsw were not wearing a pfd.
These days I always wear one when on my own ..... even though my boat is over 4.8m. It doesn’t take much to get thrown overboard.... like when a boat broaches badly.
The inflatables are hardly noticeable to wear

chris

Dirtyfuzz
07-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Nanny state ?

I probably would have have thought that once ... a bit like seat belts.
You cant argue with statistics though .... I can’t remember but it was a very high percentage of boating fatalities in nsw were not wearing a pfd.
These days I always wear one when on my own ..... even though my boat is over 4.8m. It doesn’t take much to get thrown overboard.... like when a boat broaches badly.
The inflatables are hardly noticeable to wear

chris

Yep I’ve fallen out walking around the side to retrieve the anchor when I lost my footing, hence why I now wear a pfd when on my own, oh and have fitted an anchor winch to eliminate having to go to the front helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAGG
07-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Yep I’ve fallen out walking around the side to retrieve the anchor when I lost my footing, hence why I now wear a pfd when on my own, oh and have fitted an anchor winch to eliminate having to go to the front helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me ..... I go up to the bow to deploy the leccy and do so off a raised casting deck , so it’s pretty easy to go over.
I,ve been on a boat that broached badly and both the skipper and Myself ended up on one side of the boat and nearly went over ..... scary shit.
These days ...Once you get used to wearing one it’s no big deal .

Chris