PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 Dory WideBody Electric??

nidrac
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey guys,

I was just after any information I could get on anyone that has and experience with putting an electric onto a 4.2m Quintrex Dory wide body. I've started to really get into lure fishing and after going for a ride in a mates boat can see how much easier an electric makes it i do most of my fishing in the Hinchinbrook region with the odd trip up to Tinaroo. I was thinking of a bow mount Watersnake SWDR54lb/48" 12V? would this be sufficient or will the shaft be too short? also is there anything i should look out for when installing it?

Thanks,
Nidrac

lethal098
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Just did the exercise on a mates 4.2 and used the same leccy, no probs but if you have a bow rail you will have to cut a section out to install, make sure it is installed with the optional quick release bracket and installed level.

Cheers Lee

Chanlo
02-11-2010, 05:38 AM
I put a Watersnake 54/54 on my Dory 445 and it was easy to install. Only thing I'd say to do is get an anderson plug so attach and detach wires easily. The 54lb moves it easily.

nidrac
02-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, don't have a rail up the front so that won't be a problem. Good idea with the plug too.. didn't even think of that would have made it interesting if i ever wanted to take it off..

Nidrac

Lancair
02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Go the longer shaft version too. I had a JW watersnake on my 4.2m catcher with the 48" shaft, not long enough. The deeper you can get the leccy prop the more efficient they are. mate has the 54lb 54" and can go a few knots quicker than mine and his boat is bigger.

Chanlo
02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
If you can afford it the minn kota plug is neater and you could install in the front bar on top in front of the bench seat.

nidrac
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
thanks lancair i was going to ask if the 48" shaft was long enough as they do sit quite high above the water.. would be nice to get a Minn Kota but am pretty limited to price at the moment.. however i'm a bit confused at where you are refering to mount it??

Cheers,
Nidrac

Chanlo
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I wasnt sure if it made sense :)
The 420 may not have one but up the front of my 445 boat you have a bench seat and the top plate of alloy extending to the tip of the bow (i stand on it reguarly). Where this plate starts is a peice of plate running vertical from one side of the boat to the other for bracing. This is where I would connect the plug.

nidrac
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Chanlo I'm still not quite sure what your referring to however we got a floor welded in front of the front bench seat level with the bottom of the seat and also welded a piece vertically level with the little deck at the nose of the boat making a waterproof compartment in there so that could also be why.

One further question what have you all found the best way to mount the motor? going port to starboard across the boat or going from front to back when not deployed.

Thanks Nidrac.

nidrac
22-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Ended up getting a watersnake 54lb/54" and used it last weekend on a trip we did up at tinaroo and saying i'm pleased with it is an understatement, it makes lure fishing so much easier. Had it hooked up to a 85Ah battery which lasted all 2 whole days luring before noticeably dropping in power with a 3 blade prop achieving about 3-4km/hr with 4 people in the boat with gear.
Thanks for everyones help

Nidrac..

geoffmck
23-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Ended up getting a watersnake 54lb/54" and used it last weekend on a trip we did up at tinaroo and saying i'm pleased with it is an understatement, it makes lure fishing so much easier. Had it hooked up to a 85Ah battery which lasted all 2 whole days luring before noticeably dropping in power with a 3 blade prop achieving about 3-4km/hr with 4 people in the boat with gear.
Thanks for everyones help

Nidrac..

What didi the setup cost mate? Any photos of the install? Thanks

Dignity
23-11-2010, 08:52 AM
I have also thought about a leccy motor but the 4.2 WB quinnie I have dosen't have a flat mounting plate as I have seen on tinnies that are now on the market. Do the motors require a flat surface to mount them.

nidrac
23-11-2010, 12:54 PM
What didi the setup cost mate? Any photos of the install? Thanks

I don't have any photo's of it but i will try get some from the old man and post them up, as for the cost we did all the install ourselves and we already had the battery in the boat so it was only the cost of the motor itself plus the quick release bracket and plug, total would have been around $800-900 from memory...

Nidrac

nidrac
23-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I have also thought about a leccy motor but the 4.2 WB quinnie I have dosen't have a flat mounting plate as I have seen on tinnies that are now on the market. Do the motors require a flat surface to mount them.

Mate ours was the same, the flat surface would make it a hell of a lot easier to install but we just cut a piece of timber and shaped it to the deck where we wanted it to be positioned insuring that the leg of the motor is perpendicular to the waters surface when deployed, this gives you the flat surface to secure the motor to. I have also heard of people using High density foam, rubber or welding a flat metal platform for it to sit on.

Nidrac

nidrac
29-11-2010, 12:28 PM
For those that were after some Photos of the setup i have attached a few that i took on the weekend, let me know if you want anything specific..

Nidrac