PDA

View Full Version : Advice on these cats?

whitebeach
28-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Still playing with the idea of buying a cat. Seen these two Sharkcats. Any advice on them?
http://jvmarine.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=9360084
http://jvmarine.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=8928177

Also what is the tow weight? 2200?>:( Sort of restricted to 2000.

Seen a nice KC 5.2 but $57K:'(
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9415071

finding_time
28-10-2010, 06:26 PM
That KC is a bit over priced, it presents well but with the 90 hp 2 strokes instead of maybe 60 hp 4 strokes is going to drop it's resale , also i looks like it's on a gal trailer , big disadvantage imho!! If you get one look for the ones on alloy trailers!!! I would pay an extra $ 5000 for one on an alloy trailer as they last forever and the weight factor keeps the whole rig under 2000kg! To me that's a $50 000 boat because of those 2 issues alone but it does look good in the pics! Maybe Dave ( Blackend) works in Adelaide ????

Ian

finding_time
28-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Mate the first one with the 100hp 4 stroke yami's looks sweet for the price, the motors alone make the deal i reckon!

Both boats would be well over the 2000 kg mark , min 2500kg maybe more!

White Pointer
28-10-2010, 10:36 PM
G'day,

With any second hand boat you need to enlist someone who owns one to help you on the test drive, help with the inspection and prepare a list of what needs to be fixed.

Their reward for this is that you get to go fishing with them on their boat, learn how to drive it, and you get to do this twice! The price is that you fill the tank twice and buy the bait twice.

Seems like a good investment to me. You will also make a friend and fishing buddy if he (or you) knows their stuff.

Any offers? I don't own one - so I'm out.

Regards,

White Pointer

Noelm
29-10-2010, 07:03 AM
the second one Kaos? is the pick of them, it is a late model, got my doubts on the other one being an '87 model, the motors are probably a bit of a two way street, one has 4 strokes, one has 2 strokes, the one with the 2's is the better boat (late model) but the 4's are, well, 4 strokes, but the boat is older, I reckon I would go for the later model, they were/are a much better boat.

Noelm
29-10-2010, 07:08 AM
oops forgot the KC, if you look really close, you will see the motors are almost on the last possible hole, and are XL shafts, so from that I conclude (I maybe wrong) the pods are for L but the motors are XL and they cannot be lifted any higher, and you cannot get the 5" difference by raising the motors to the last hole, so they may be too low! but I reckon the 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke is the perfect motor for them, (IMO) plenty will argue, and we have argued many times before, there is lots with 60HP 4 strokes that the owners seem happy with.

Camhawk88
29-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Good to see the dealers getting their specs right. The first one says it has only 1 engine- the photos would suggest otherwise. The second one apparently has a 115hp motor (motor 1) and a 90hp motor (motor 2). Circle work anyone?
For 10k diff in price I would look at the first one- get an alloy trailer for the difference in price (maybe a bit more) and save a bit on juice with 4s.

Micadogs
29-10-2010, 08:53 AM
The second boat has Mercury Optimax motors which are just as fuel effiecient as any 4-stroke. I would choose the second boat, newer boat, great motors.

Noelm
29-10-2010, 08:57 AM
yes indeedy, Optis are just as fuel efficient as a 4 stroke, and the boat is later model, the best option by far, but.....

julian1
29-10-2010, 09:45 AM
yep the second model Sharkcat is the pick, as others have said the later shape and still has Opti's on her so nice and fuel efficient, not sure on its condition but it has been for sale for quite some time. The Kevlacat looks in good cond. but is over priced with the 2 bangers and yes gal trailer as alot of these 5.2's had alloy trailers under them

whitebeach
29-10-2010, 10:53 AM
the second one Kaos? is the pick of them, it is a late model, got my doubts on the other one being an '87 model, the motors are probably a bit of a two way street, one has 4 strokes, one has 2 strokes, the one with the 2's is the better boat (late model) but the 4's are, well, 4 strokes, but the boat is older, I reckon I would go for the later model, they were/are a much better boat.

Any idea on the weight of this newer rig?

Noelm
29-10-2010, 11:36 AM
it will only be a guess, but I reckon somewhere around 2.5T maybe a tad more depending on how much "stuff" is in the boat, maybe a tad less with no fuel and little extras.

Chimo
29-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi WB

What about a cheap secondhand 4wd or even a tractor to launch and retrive the rig? Should work given where you would be using it most of the time.

Still doing the cricket trip?

Cheers
Chimo

whitebeach
29-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi WB

What about a cheap secondhand 4wd or even a tractor to launch and retrive the rig? Should work given where you would be using it most of the time.

Still doing the cricket trip?

Cheers
Chimo

Hi Peter!

No, no cricket. Can't face the thought of the boys getting licked by the poms! It ain't going to be pretty from the looks of things. Maybe they could persuade Warny to return. And yes on the hunt for a boat again. I guess the 5.65 Cat is going to be too heavy. Got to take it down the dirt road to Fortescue, also not pretty after a rain. How are you?

Vitamin Sea
29-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Noel

I was lloking at Kaos over 2 years ago when it was for sale with the owner (remember, sent a couple of emails I think) it's also a surveyed boat, anyway, as I said over 2 years, why hasn't it sold by now?

Cheers

Bill

Noelm
29-10-2010, 02:05 PM
'cause it's a Sharkcat and they are not a really sought after boat, regardless of how good they are, over 30 grand is really good money for a shakcat, but not even starting price for a Kevlacat in ratty condition, go figure! oh and yes, I do remember, wonder if it is the same seller?

whitebeach
29-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Noel

I was lloking at Kaos over 2 years ago when it was for sale with the owner (remember, sent a couple of emails I think) it's also a surveyed boat, anyway, as I said over 2 years, why hasn't it sold by now?

Cheers

Bill

Don't know why didn't you buy it?

whitebeach
29-10-2010, 03:29 PM
How about this one? Smaller, lighter with 35 hours on it.
How does it compre to the 5.2 KC?
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9554509

Noelm
29-10-2010, 05:33 PM
not even close to being a 5.2KC or a 5.6 Sharkcat. might be better than a tinny maybe.