PDA

View Full Version : Baystar Hydraulic Steering

Micadogs
28-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi, who out there has Baystar Hydraulic Steering fitted?? I have just fitted this system (suitable for outboards to 150HP) with the bullhorn fitting. I replaced Ultraflex mechanical steering.

The hydraulic system appears to be as "heavy" as the mechanical system. Obviously a lot better with the non feedback component.

On a previous boat I had Hydrive installed and it was a lot "Lighter" than mechanical steering.

Just wondering if this is normal for Baystar Hydraulic Steering.

I also assume, that the Baystar system, only rated to 150HP is not as powerful as the Hydrive system which can take a huge amount of HP. Is this assumption correct and is why I think there is a difference between the two.

It is fitted on a 5.5 fibreglass with a 115 Merc 4-stroke.

regards Adam

Rodman
28-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Mate I fitted one to my 475 blue fin and had awful problems with it.
It is all to do with bleeding the system I tried for ages and even got cunninghams marine to do it but they still could not bleed all the air out of the system.
Spoken to Jinm Mckinnion from burpengary and he had a proper bleeding machine and after about 15 minutes the hydraulic steering was magic.

Give Jim of AQUA Mobile Marine Services on 0418748023 I am sure he will help you

KEN
fRAZORODZ

FNQCairns
28-10-2010, 04:00 PM
What are the specs of the helm and cylinder, the ratio here will tell you if it should be heavy or not...so will the amount of turns lock to lock, more turns the lighter the feel and visa versa.....my biggest complaint with some hydraulic systems is the overdone number of turns needed. Makes rough water driving a pain (for the want of more suitable words).

Micadogs
28-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks Ken, just gave Jim a call. He was very helpful and suggested upgrading the 3/8" tubing and fittings to a 1/2" setup. He has done this for a few customers and the have been very happy. I will give that a try to see how it goes.

FNQ - regarding the turns, you are spot on. The mechanical steering was 3 turns lock to lock, the hydraulic is 5. Straight away the hydraulic should be lighter. I may still have air in the system, but I doubt it. The steering is consistent regardless of which way I'm turning it. I have bleed it 3+ times to be sure also. In relation to the capacity questions, I will have to look up the brochures. I purchased as a kit (the new style) so hopefully it is all matched up.

I did expect lighter steering than mechanical, yet its about the same. I will try the 1/2" upgarde and see how that goes.

Regards Adam.

bigjimg
28-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Adam i have the Sea Star fitted to my 135 merc, mine is 3 turns and is as smooth as.One handed operation.It shouldn't be heavy and compared to mechanical should leave it for dead.I have 1/2in lines on mine.Jim

captain rednut
28-10-2010, 08:01 PM
hi guys
thanks for the wrap ken, all hydraulics require to flow with little resistance hence the reason for the bigger half inch nylon tubing upgrade, the oil is critical aswell to ensure it is no greater than 15 grade, as i find the hydrive oil is lighter than the seastar oil in the comparison in some of the units i have installed.
hey, adam let me know if you need a hand and i will bleed it for you with the machine. cheers jim

Noelm
29-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Adam i have the Sea Star fitted to my 135 merc, mine is 3 turns and is as smooth as.One handed operation.It shouldn't be heavy and compared to mechanical should leave it for dead.I have 1/2in lines on mine.Jim
never seen a Seastar with only 3 turns lock to lock, what model is it? excess steering wheel input is the biggest bug for the person who has just gone from cable to hydraulic steering, you do get used to it, and a knob on the steering wheel (not behind it!) will be a great asset!

bigjimg
29-10-2010, 09:56 PM
never seen a Seastar with only 3 turns lock to lock, what model is it? excess steering wheel input is the biggest bug for the person who has just gone from cable to hydraulic steering, you do get used to it, and a knob on the steering wheel (not behind it!) will be a great asset!

Noelm it is 3 turns from dead ahead or close enough to it.From lock to lock it is a bit over 5.HH 5271 is the helm 1.7 cu in.Jim