PDA

View Full Version : volvo penta

Damian Loosemore
28-10-2010, 09:10 AM
bought boat with 150hp turbo diesal, with dpe leg needs a few pieces is itworth spending the money on or better to repower .thanks

cormorant
28-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Volvo is a good motor and leg depending on what models and very expensive to replace with a equivalent motor.

If it has been maintained the ongoing costs are the same as with a new motor basically so depending on what hours you are going to do. Worst thing you can do with a diesel is get behind with maintainance. With em do it once properly, bite the bullet, as half jobs on most sterndrives and diesels lead to a world of pain and use someone who works on them regularly not some backyarder.

Yep you are just going to loveaussie volvo parts pricing but with the Aussie strong there may be cheaper parts you can grab from the states and even NZ.

Micadogs
28-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi, if you obatin a copy of the latest Trailer Boat magazine there is a NZ company that does brand new legs (upper and lower) for approx $3500. These are suitable for both Volvo Penta and Mercruiser. About 1/2 the price of OEM. regards Ada,

captain rednut
28-10-2010, 08:06 PM
the DPE leg is a great unit and i have never seen one break thats been regurly maintained, you must require some major parts to be asking this question??
cheers jim

Damian Loosemore
29-10-2010, 06:35 AM
had leg bead blasted only to find fair bit of corrosion.new leg are 13k exchange, new 22ohp steyar 32 fitted with merc leg.prices are a bit steep for volvo. same wieght but gain 4 to 6 cyinlinder.cheers

cormorant
29-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Some parts of the case are thin and other thick so get a decent Volvo guy to tell you how critical it is for the use you are using it for. Pitting is pretty typical on older units. No need for a new leg for external corrosion as you can swap internals into another good case from a freshwater unit I think and look OS while the Aussie is strong.. Still not cheap but you end up with a good leg.

Beadblasted- so I assume it has been a moored boat with antifoul?

Lots of people don't antifoul them properly and use correct annodes or replace them often enough. Leads to expensive problems. If it wasn't a mored boat and there is major corrosion I would be double checking there is no electrical current issues in hull and motor.

Those prices are scary so I would look for a good 2nd hand one as they do come up when people can't afford to replace the motor.