PDA

View Full Version : Foil Help

Stik-ugly
27-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I was up at Moogerah the other day to try out the tinny after adjusting the motor height . I removed the se sport 300 from the 40 hp Merc to check if their was any difference.I have now managed to loose the bolts and spacer washers for the foil.Can anybody with a se sport 300 help me by sending the dimensions of the rubber spacer washers please.The washers have two thicknesses the front are thinner than the rear.I would appreciate the help,thanks.

Noelm
27-10-2010, 01:05 PM
can't help with the parts, but did the foil on/off make any difference?

Stik-ugly
27-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Noelm about 3 k faster on wot ,handling was slightly better with the foil on but it is still porpoising, I am going to take it up another hole on the motor,cav plate still in water on the plane but only just

dogsbody
27-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Foils are good for getting on the plane quicker but are only a bandaid solution for porpoising. Did you try to adjust the trim on your last run to see what happened? You may need some more weight forward. Or you may need a better prop than the one you have now.

Dave

Stik-ugly
27-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Dogsbody by trimming the motor out on the plane it only increased the porpoising.unsure of the pitch of the prop but s/steel. At the moment there is a Min Kota 55 ft lb bow mount hanging off the front and two batteries mounted forward ,and only me and the 25 litre fuel tank at the back, but my wife keeps mentioning that I need to loose weight. Would wedges on the transom work at all?

dogsbody
27-10-2010, 05:02 PM
By trimming out it would only make things worse. Your motor is trying to push the bow skywards but hasn't the balls to keep it there so it drops back down. Maybe see if it can go higher, maybe need to get the prop cupped which would give it more bite in the water. Or it could be a pitch issue. Easy start point is try higher if you can.

There is a few things to check to see what is causing your problem, the thing is finding out what it is and fixing it.

I have no experience with wedges at all. Others would have.

FNQcairns is pretty switched on in the prop department but you may need some stats.

Dave

Dave