PDA

View Full Version : somerset fishing

Raydog
26-10-2010, 08:10 PM
hi everyone just wondering how somerset has been fishing ?going on friday for look and see mission any tips would be big help .reagards.:)

Bad_Bazza
27-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Raydog,
I was out there last Friday and did not get a touch for 4.5 hours of fishing time. I never got higher up the dam than Bay 13 so I am curious as to wether the fish may have headed upstream with the latest rain. The water colour was till very fishable but I could not find fish in the lower half of the dam.
I will be interested to see how you go.

Bad_Bazza

Raydog
27-10-2010, 09:19 AM
hi BAD_BAZZA thanks for reply we were also heading to bay 13 have caught nice bass and yella from that area last time so will let u know how we do thanks:)

Neil81
28-10-2010, 01:48 PM
hi Raydog, im heading out there saturday morning to bay 13 so is there anychance you could post how you go, it would be a great help as im new to the area and havent had much luck around bay 13 yet apart from a banded grunter.

cheers, Neil

Raydog
28-10-2010, 07:45 PM
hi Neil will send response tomorrow hope good news should be on water early in morning.:)

Mike Delisser
29-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Try the edges up in the timber nth of Kirkleagh, spinnerbaits and traps are the go. There's been some great nice bass and yellows caught up there in the past week.
Cheers

Bad_Bazza
29-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info Mike,
I had a feeling they may have gone upstream. I am recalling a previous situation when they did the same and it was a great edge bite from about Kirkleigh up.
I will try and get out there again next week and give them a run.

Bad_Bazza

Raydog
29-10-2010, 06:53 PM
hi Bad_Bazza and mike had great day on water there were three of us and we bagged out with numerous upgrades had three by about 10 and things went quite till about 12.30 we had tried bay 13 red rock and then started moving back towards spit there is apoint near the hump as we called it with dead tree on it and about three lone trees standing well apart we were in approx 8 metres down to about 5metres drifting in wind (elec would not work) and we got smashed 1 of hooked up peeled line got close to boat and had head shake busted off ,was using little max blade with 12 lb leader (not happy) then went to jackall soft and hard went off 44 cm biggest landed. 3 over 40 cm 3 other just under top day . hope this can help you TOP DAY just had to get on the spot .cheers ,beats any good day at work.;D;D;D;D;D

Bad_Bazza
30-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Raydog,
Thanks for the info buddy, sounds like you guys had a great day.
Did you catch fish in Bay 13? Is that where you started?
The last point you mentioned with the lone tree is that on the bottom side of the Hump? If it is I fished it but without finding any sign of fish and I was also letting the boat drift off it. I find this lets you cover more ground when searching especially when you have a little breeze.
Maybe the fish were just in a mood on the Friday I fished!! It happens.
I'll head back up there next week, probably on Thursday and try my luck again.

Once again thanks for the info.

Bad_Bazza

Neil81
30-10-2010, 09:19 PM
thanks for the info guys. I headed up there this morning, there would have been about 15 boats off pelican point. I didnt land one but had a few good hook ups, theres a monster off pelican point with a brand new blitz bagga in his mouth to lol.

Raydog
31-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Bad_Bazza yes we went to bay 13 first after we put in at the spit, water was 25/26 degree a bit dirty but could not anything to talk about worked way back till we were on the spit side of the dead tree and once we got the spot top stuff.Just read post from neil looks like another monster with an addition to his lips . Hope to be back and have another crack this week.

murrayscod
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I was also there on sat. there was no fish in the usual haunts out deep. except for a couple of small fish on the southern side of pelican in only about 15 foot. we also found a point near the hump where we caught a dozen or so just legal bass and one big yella. a couple of other spots on the bank produced fish on blades. so looks like edge activity at the moment. iwas heading to the spit for a look but didnt get there and too many water lice about.

Raydog
04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
hi murrayscod,we are going back tomorrow to have another crack thanks for info will let u know how we do .none had lures in their mouth eh?

5100vr
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
hey mate i was up at somerset for days at start of october and we got 17 bass and 2 catfish over 4 days released all of them and we were using gold and black strikezones we got all of them up in beam creek

Raydog
07-11-2010, 08:32 AM
hi 5100vr,thanks for info went last friday again. had two boats one group got 13 mostly on gold fleck jackall soft and blades,myself 3 fish one just on 40cm and two just under legal and partner 1 small all on blades and lost one more blade to add to a hungry fish of some sort, couple of taps and was all over there were a few smaller ones in the schools this time but still good day out cheers.

Bad_Bazza
07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Raydog,
I was there on Friday as well. Went up to the trees above Kirkleigh early and only managed one fish 40 cm. Searched my way back down and it wasn't until I got back into Beam Creek that I found fish in 60 ft of water but could not get them to bite.
Moved onto bottom edge of Beam Creek and found fish laying along the edge sitting in 16 to 18 ft of water. Drifted down onto the corner and managed 5 fish all around the 30 to 32 cm mark. They were on a 3/8 oz Little Max in Super Wakasagi.
That colour seems to work very well for me at Somerset.
Unfortunately a rain squall came through about then and the wind completely changed direction and buggered up the drift.
I moved down to the Spit and again found fish in that 16 to 18 ft depth. I scored a 42.5 cm fish first cast and then I could not get them to eat it after that. Several hits but no hookups. I left about 1/2 an hour after that.
Was that you in the walk through screen boat just down from the bottom of Beam Creek?

Bad_Bazza

Raydog
07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
hi Bad_Bazza,i am raydogs dad using his tag on computer ,yes he was in step through quintrex (that was his mates needed a run) we were in the smaller stacer .raydog caught most fish using jackall,mainly worked around that area but had trouble staying in the right area, alright when wind dropped off a little. also scooted up to junction for look but weather changed could see it coming got a bit rough in my boat.what boat were you in were you in the flat bottom with 6hp engine?still top day caught a few still good fun.;D;D;D raydog has 3.95 allycraft with 25 merc in getting some repairs at the moment:-?

Bad_Bazza
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Raydog Senior,
I remember you taking off not long after I arrived down there around 11.30 to Midday.
I was in a Qunitrex Hornet 4.35 White with Black & Red flashes.
I am going to make another run up there later in the week this time I will start from the bottom end as it appears the fish were down in that bottom section of the dam.

Bad_Bazza

Raydog
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
hi Bad_Bazza raydog senior here raydog is heading back down to somerset in morning to have another crack will keep posted on resulys .cheers8-)8-)8-)

Raydog
12-11-2010, 08:48 PM
hi guys raydog here fished somerset again great day on water 12 bass all up one 50cm couple 40+ and a few rats but top day out.

Bad_Bazza
13-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Raydog,

Bad_Bazza here, I was up there yesterday as well and things have improved out of sight in a week, ended up with 27 fish with the two best bass 50.5 & 50 forklength but had other close to that and two yellows 53.5 and 47.5.
I had an early and a midday bite for the quality fish. I wasn't far from you during the early part of the day but the midday bite was up around the topside of Pelican Point.
All of my fish came on Evergreen blades in either 3/8 oz of 1/2 oz.
There were plenty of small fish suspending aout off Pelican Point itself sitting just below the thermocline. Great for the trollers.

Bad_Bazza