PDA

View Full Version : Classic timber boats of all sizes. Who has one??

finga
25-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Gidday all.
Nearly everyone knows I like old stuff/crap and I've been looking for an old timber boat to restore and to put the old "Royal Scott" onto seeing the cook won't let me put the motor in the dining room.

So who has an old timber boat??
Why do you have an old timber boat??
What do you love/hate about it??

Any pictures or stories would be good too.

Thanks then
Scott :)

Marlin_Mike
25-10-2010, 07:15 PM
What size type you looking for SCotty??????????

Mike

finga
25-10-2010, 07:20 PM
What size type you looking for SCotty??????????

Mike
You know me Mike..... probably anything that fits on a trailer.
Not a semi trailer either ya goose. A single axle trailer. :)

But a clinker of about 15-16' or so.......or a bondwood of about 14-17' feet or so....
Buggered if I know but I'll know when I find one.

You must have some stories about old timber boats. Your older then me ;D

Hope old John doesn't read this.
I don't want to hear about the Ark again.
I saw the movie ::)

Chimo
25-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Scott

Heres your ideal boat at an ideal price. (pm)

Ex B in L had a big version built for him that chewed up much of his super especially when he became ex.

Cheers
Chimo

theoldlegend
25-10-2010, 07:45 PM
There's quite a few in Wynnum Creek you could pick up for a good price.

Most have been there for years.

Under water.

TOL

White Pointer
25-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Scott,

How's this then. A mate of mine is selling a clinker over Oregon frame circa 1950 putt-putt. It has a 1-cylinder 6-7Hp Simplex engine, F&R gearbox and electric start. He brought it up from Adelaide when he moved here last Christmas but finds Moreton Bay a bit much for it (and for him I expect). It needs a new home in "smooth and protected water".

PM me for more piccies and contact details. If you all think it's worthwhile I'll post an ad on AUSFISH.

Regards,

White Pointer

Alchemy
25-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice old boat that one WP. Would make a good Pin boat, though may want to watch the run out if near the bar!

TheRealAndy
25-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I once sailed on a boat called Miss Sandgate, built by the late Ted Rice on the 1920's. Infact, I sailed it on her very last voyage. She can be now found in the Brisbane Maritime Museum. Miss Sandgate is a 22 foot Linton Hope Rater. Carvel boat made from Kauri Pine, stringers from silver ash and the stem was made of mangrove of all things.

Ted Rice sailed that boat right up to the day he died, and infact, that is where he died. He used to take school kids out sailing every week, and that particular day he was taking out some kids from Sandgate State School. Ted died of a heart attack doing what he loved, and sailing in the boat he built.

http://www.maritimemuseum.com.au/Collections/miss_sandgate.htm

I was going to build a replica for the 100th anniversiary of Sandgate Yacht Club, but I just dont have the time or the space.

finga
25-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I love going to the Maritime Museum Andy.
I reckon I've been there maybe 8 times and see something I've missed each time I go.
Absolutely brilliant place to visit.

Better PM some details WP.

Something like that would be just dandy in Leslie Dam.....
It'll fit in nice if I tow her out to the dam with the old Daimler. She's a 54 model.

White Pointer
25-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I love going to the Maritime Museum Andy.
I reckon I've been there maybe 8 times and see something I've missed each time I go.
Absolutely brilliant place to visit.

Better PM some details WP.

Something like that would be just dandy in Leslie Dam.....
It'll fit in nice if I tow her out to the dam with the old Daimler. She's a 54 model.

G'day Scott,

Details on the way. BTW, what model Daimler? Does it have a history?

Regards,

White Pointer

finga
25-10-2010, 09:02 PM
what model Daimler? Does it have a history?

Regards,

White Pointer
She's a '54 Conquest with the 4 speed pre-select gearbox.
I found her in a shed one day when I asked old Ron if he had a bit of pipe to go over a conduit. He said in the shed and when I opened the door there she was.
Been doing work for him for years before that and never knew what was in his shed.
It was originally a diplomats car as the chassis number corresponds to a left hand drive vehicle but she's an original right hand drive. Apparently the chassis number was derived from country of order but she was delivered to Australia.
Found this too.
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8737370

or we can be off the Gilligan's Island
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9159627

Chimo
25-10-2010, 09:15 PM
This might be of interest to other woodies too............ http://www.boatregister.net/Builders_Victoria_2010.htm

Not sure if the same has been done in Qld NSW Tas etc

Cheers
Chimo

White Pointer
25-10-2010, 10:05 PM
She's a '54 Conquest with the 4 speed pre-select gearbox.
I found her in a shed one day when I asked old Ron if he had a bit of pipe to go over a conduit. He said in the shed and when I opened the door there she was.
Been doing work for him for years before that and never knew what was in his shed.
It was originally a diplomats car as the chassis number corresponds to a left hand drive vehicle but she's an original right hand drive. Apparently the chassis number was derived from country of order but she was delivered to Australia.
Found this too.
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8737370

or we can be off the Gilligan's Island
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9159627

G'day again,

That means your Daimler was built in the days of BSA ownership when Daimler was the royally appointed supplier, but in enormous strife in management tussles in the boardroom and financially. BSA (British Small Arms) were also in strife because post-war their order book was pretty much empty. The car may have been ordered by a Government that had LHD but it was decided to allocate it to Australia and that meant build it as RHD. I think it is still possible to track a lot of these details through the British Motor Museum. If nothing else, the poms were good record keepers.

That first boat looks OK except that it has been beached. Who would beach a wooden boat unless it was sinking.

The second boat offers to break it up and take it away in bits - and I think that's all its good for.

Regards,

White Pointer

BM
25-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Finga,

I have a timber rig that I am doing up currently. I've not played with timber boats before but this one was a steal. At $2500, 20ft long and with a brand new 75hp turbo diesel Yanmar shaft drive I couldn't go past it.....!!

It had an ugly cabin on top of it and almost zero fishing space. Its still a work in progress, due to be finished in the next couple of weeks but heres a pic of how she is coming along. Turned her into a centre console, so probably quite appealing to your northern types!

cheers

Moffy
25-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Not sure you'd put it in the "classic" category - but i'm currently doing up a 4.8m modified Hartley centre console - Daintree Boy's Dad built it in the early 90s - Daintree Boy still has one himself - great boats - we've caught countless fish out of them over the years - hopefully once i'm done we'll be able to keep catching fish in it for many a year yet!!

Been at it a while now and hoping to see the water soon..................

Pic of boat shortly before going "under the knife" -
It then got a bit nasty.....
New Chines going on
New Hull sheets over a metre each side.

Bit of work still to do before i can turn it back over and do the insides.........

Chimo
26-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Hi BM

Long time between posts, nice finish on your project, what does the insides look like?

Heres a cheap small one for the devotees in your neck of the woods . http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sa...aspx?R=9388754

Cheers
Chimo

rando
26-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Finga
Have a wander along Breakfast creek, and maybe a chat to the shipwright in Argyle street.I think he owns most of them. A real "Allsorts" of projects down there
cheers
rando

patrol50
26-10-2010, 12:56 PM
hi finga built a hartley 18 ts ply over oregon some 20 odd year ago now that i started her which i still have in my back yard and still in real good nick dynel over the hull and a west saturated interior - dont use her much at all sadly and dont use my quin runabout all that much either, hope to change that soon though but dont want to part with the hartley as just too much of me in her but if you need any advice ideas happy to help any time - building a wood boat gets inside you and becomes a labour of love
cheers rob

patrol50
26-10-2010, 12:57 PM
double post

Marlin_Mike
26-10-2010, 01:23 PM
heres mine Scotty................ never got her finished though. Classic lines, but limited to what motor I can put on her. ;D :P ::) ;) ;D

Mike

BM
26-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi BM

Long time between posts, nice finish on your project, what does the insides look like?

Heres a cheap small one for the devotees in your neck of the woods . http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sa...aspx?R=9388754

Cheers
Chimo

G'day mate,

Yeah, I have been a bit quiet on this site for a while actually. Just kicking back these days.

The insides.. Well I put in timber subfloor beams and then a structural ply floor. It steps up just forward of the console kind of like a casting deck. That wasn't the intention though. The original floor was way too low and whilst it provided great freeboard, it didn't offer much usable walking space. The new setup has much less freeboard (there will be a grab rail around the boat though) but the usable space is huge.

I will probably look to sell this rig maybe halfway through the season as I have a 25ft flybridge project going to start soon. Or I may hold the diesel rig till the flybridge is completed.

I should have some more bling bits on the boat in the next week and will post up the pics then.

Cheers