PDA

View Full Version : Father and Son Fishing Holiday - Where?

fisho
23-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi All, it's been a while between posts - nice to be back!;D

I am wanting to do a 2 week or so fishing trip with dad 'up north' in late March / early April (I am based at Sunshine Coast Q). I have fished the east coast of QLD to Cairns a fair bit already and am looking for something a bit different this time. Thinking Karumba, Burketown????

We have a 3.6m tinnie on trailer at our disposal. 2wd vehicle only.

Trip Requirements:-

must be 2-3 days drive from Sunny Coast (don't mind big driving days)
must offer potentially fantastic fishing
don't mind 'roughing it' or for a reasonable cost, not 'roughing it' and staying at motel etc

Any suggestions / advice / comments on possible locations appreciated, along with any tips, if known.

Feel free to post or PM me.

Regards

fisho

broncodude
24-10-2010, 05:20 PM
DARWIN! 3 day drive the best fishing you can get. Jewies, snapper tuskfish and muddies everywhere!

MY ALIBI
25-10-2010, 08:58 AM
karumba all seald rds, and awsome fishing to , my dad just got back with some awsome fishin pics i think there some camp grounds there to ,,, hope this helps

macca3441
25-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi mate,

When you go (March/April) will be dependant on how long the "wet" sticks around!
We fished Karumba last year (was booked for early March...but couldnt get there till April due to the wet) and had an excellent two weeks!
Caught heaps of fish, camped at the caravan park at the point across the road from the boat ramp, and also did a day's charter with Paul Donald on the "Kerry D".
I haven't been to the territory yet, but Karumba put on some of the best fishing I've seen!
I'm also heading back in April next year!!
PM me if you want any more info!

Macca

Camhawk88
25-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Weipa would be my pick but not sure about access in the 2wd. Also as mentioned, we have had 2 long wet seasons and this one is shaping up to be just as big. I would be looking at April because of this but be prepared to wait a bit longer.

mouse71
27-10-2010, 07:21 AM
As long as you can get to Karumba you will have some brilliant fishing at that time
As for accom, send us a PM, am setting up a house at the moment, fully self contained, close to everything, very cheap rates

Leon Kruse
27-10-2010, 08:15 AM
if your prepared to do the distance do yourself the favour and go to booroloola instead of kurumba, far better fishing, it's bitumen road the whole way not to bad of a road either there all you need to do is troll lures and barra are everywhere, also no more than 2 crab pots trust me you won't need any more, houseboats are available too if your into that

cheers Krusey

NormC
23-11-2010, 08:09 AM
King Ash Bay Fishing Club, on McArthur River outside Borroloola in NT is a top spot for this sort of trip.
You can 'rough it' in a tent in the powered camping area or in the unpowered area on the bank of the river.
Accommodation is also available in the King Ash Bay Lodge or the King Ash Bay Cabins, or you can lash out and hire a house boat.

This Blog gives a bit of info based on our times at KAB:
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/50743.25/12/2009/Norm___Kabby_s_Travel_Adventures_-_Fishing_the_Northern_Territory_and_Roof_Toppers.a spx?ky=&p=%2fMembers%2f50743.25%2fMyBlog.aspx

We have done the trip in three days from Gold Coast. Big days though, it is about 2,800 KM.

King Ash Bay web site here:
http://www.kingashbay.com/

3.6m tinnie is OK, but not if it is a flat bottom punt. V nose with 15 HP is popular as a roof topper here. Our first boat used here was a 3.5 with 15 HP, but we have moved up to bigger boats more recently. A slightly larger boat than your 3.6 would be better suited if available.

Norm C

Horse
23-11-2010, 08:44 PM
That sounds good. I might have to start planning a trip up there