PDA

View Full Version : New 4 stroke run-in procedure?

GLXMAN
20-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys,
Picking up a new boat on Friday,
What is the best way to run in a 4 stroke?
Expected revs is 5500-6000, WOT
Is it acceptable to get onto the plane when running in a new motor?
Good cruising speed on a test day was around 4200, is this too high?

Regards,
Gary

Rod_Bender
20-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Just vary the speed, don't hold it too long in the same position.

Moonlighter
20-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Gary

Welcome to Ausfish, you will find many people here willing to share their knowledge and opinions and offer help if you need it.

Having said that, asking how to run in your new motor is not a question to seek opinions on. You need to work on 100% facts for such important issues.

And you will find that when you ask questions here you will get better responses if you indicate that you have tried the normal things, such as reading manuals etc, first.

Back to your question.

Motor brands vary in what they require for a run-in procedure, and therefore there is no substitute for reading your owner's manual and following the instructions in there. Also, ask your dealer what initial run-in procedure that they have done so you can be sure where you have to pick up the procedure, and follow their advice carefully. This way you will help to ensure that your new motor has a long happy life.

Cheers

ML

GLXMAN
21-10-2010, 07:56 AM
>Moonlighter
Tks for pointing out about the manual and dealer advice, don't know how I overlooked that, guess I'm getting a bit exited:)
Regards,
Gary

TimiBoy
21-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Onya Gary, I'll bet you're excited!

What motor is it?

I'll offer this: regardless of what the Dealer (or anyone else) says, read the manual and take careful note. The Dealer may say "Oh don't worry about this or that," but he is NOT the one paying for warranty service!

Cheers and good luck with the new acquisition!

Tim

DAZMC1
21-10-2010, 09:05 AM
It,s not 1960 anymore! Just drive it normally. Do you buy a new car and drive it at 60k,s for a month. Do you get a new machine and operate it at half throttle.Cylinder bores and rings these days are made from low friction materials and the engines are perfectly balanced so just enjoy.

4x4frog
21-10-2010, 09:26 AM
The best advice a very good friend of mine ever gave me about running in engines is to use it at almost 100% of what you would after the run in period. If you 'baby' the engine, the rings will not seat correctly due to the lack of stress placed on them and when you then go WOT, there's less bedded in area of the ring to cylinder wall surface contacting.
This bloke builds engines for track cars and they just drive the nuts off them almost from the word start.
Make absolutely certain though that you stick to the recommended first oil drop interval. No idea what it would be for an outboard. Also, ask just what they have used as an initial fill for the oil as well because highly friction modified oils are bad news for running in periods.

Argle
21-10-2010, 11:08 AM
My new Suzy's manual detailed a run in procedure that it stated need to be followed to ensure engine longevity and avoid any warranty issues. So I guess then that procedure needed to be followed (and it was) The modern 4 strokes ecu can be accessed quite easily and no doubt this could be used as evidence of incorrect run in/overrev etc in the case of a warranty claim. Best advice would be follow the procedure as set out by the manufacturer and this way you should encounter very few problems other than the weather being too crappy to go fishing!!!!

Cheers
Scott

GLXMAN
21-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Always good to hear what others think,

>Tim
Tks, its a 60hp 4st Mercury, on the back of an Allison SC 4.95,
Exited yeah! got that right;D ,
Supposed to pick up tomorrow, other commitments, its now Saturday,
My initial thoughts was that the 60 4st Merc would be underpowered, after the test day, I was quite amazed how much power the new EFI motors have
Regards,
Gary

ric
21-10-2010, 01:11 PM

>Tim
My initial thoughts was that the 60 4st Merc would be underpowered, after the test day, I was quite amazed how much power the new EFI motors have
Regards,
Gary

For a 115hp 4 stroke yamaha (from the manual) 10 hrs run in.
1st hr - up to 2000rpm varying throttle
2nd hr - increase engine speed as much as necessary to put the boat on the plane but avoid full throttle operation
remaining 8 hours - run the engine at any speed but avoid full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Every service i get a print out of how many hrs at each rpm.
i was told that if i did not follow the run in procedure correctly that i MAY have issues with warranty down the track.

my advice would be to stick to the operators maunal, so if something does go wrong you are more likely to be covered by warranty.

Ric

GLXMAN
21-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Good advice Ric, tks
Will have a close look at the manual
Regards,
Gary

Jeremy
21-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Is this your first boat? Surely the run in procedure is something you would discuss with your dealer?:o The variety of opinions and guesses above should tell you that.
Anyway, I have the merc 60 4 stroke. Just done 300 hours now and very happy with it.

Lancair
21-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Shoulda got an ETEC, no run in period req'd, no oil to change. LOL LOL

Just stirring up the ETEC haters.

Spaniard_King
21-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Shoulda got an ETEC, no run in period req'd, no oil to change. LOL LOL

Just stirring up the ETEC haters.

Just saving a copy of this particular post for the appropriate time to drag it out again ;)

It's funny how these things tend to go missing:)

SWANY22
21-10-2010, 05:50 PM
as 4x4 said run it in how you drive.i did that with my yammy runs like a dream.my boy races mx when i do a top end i wurm her up twice to seat the rings and then he rides like he stole it.and have never never niped one up.

GLXMAN
21-10-2010, 08:04 PM
>Jeremy
"Is this your first boat? Surely the run in procedure is something you would discuss with your dealer?:o The variety of opinions and guesses above should tell you that.
Anyway, I have the Merc 60 4 stroke. Just done 300 hours now and very happy with it."
Tks for the heads-up on your Merc, yes, I did discuss the run-in procedure with the dealer and the answers were brief, this is the reason for the question

Did run in a diesel in my old 34 yacht and ran in a 15HP Merc for my small tinny but it was a 2 stroke

>Lancair
Used to fish out of a mates Haines comp boat, it was a 75 Etec,
After every outing it was a trip to the Etec doctor, new part, re-mapping of the computer, this always happened when we were 20km from home, vowed I would never get one, I can say, (when it wasn't faulty), it was very quick

Regards,
Gary

White Pointer
21-10-2010, 08:55 PM

>Tim
Regards,
Gary

G'day Gary,

I have a 3.5HP 4-stroke Mercury and my owner's manual described the running in procedure very exactly. It didn't cramp my style - in fact it gave me time to learn how things work. I suggest, as others have, do it by the book.

Regards,

White Pointer

GLXMAN
21-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Tks White Pointer,
Appears the run-in procedure is well covered, I guess things improve over time,
Regards,
Gary

White Pointer
21-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Tks White Pointer,
Appears the run-in procedure is well covered, I guess things improve over time,
Regards,
Gary

G'day,

No. The engine was hot out of the box and performance didn't improve over time. It was just a case of putting it through its paces to bed the engine an ensure no early wear patterns were established.

I found that I had to go out of my way to run hard for a while, rather than just cruise along. It's not a hardship is the boat is propped right.

Regards,

White Pointer

TimiBoy
22-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Tks for the heads-up on your Merc, yes, I did discuss the run-in procedure with the dealer and the answers were brief, this is the reason for the question

Used to fish out of a mates Haines comp boat, it was a 75 Etec,
After every outing it was a trip to the Etec doctor, new part, re-mapping of the computer, this always happened when we were 20km from home, vowed I would never get one, I can say, (when it wasn't faulty), it was very quick

Yes, that's why my original point about Dealer vs book. Plenty of guys out there selling and delivering boats who were selling cars or new roof seal jobs last week.

Love the ETEC story! A first hand experience - I wonder if it'll bring Jabba out of the woodwork!!!;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

BrummyBoi
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
as 4x4 said run it in how you drive.i did that with my yammy runs like a dream.my boy races mx when i do a top end i wurm her up twice to seat the rings and then he rides like he stole it.and have never never niped one up.

yeah my mates got a new machine that rips up asphalt an from word go i drive it like i stole it, its still showing no signs of playing up or needing tuning, an's done 200hr+

:P

Sea-Dog
05-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Isn't it the case that most race motors have a very short time between rebuilds?

White Pointer
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Good advice Ric, tks
Will have a close look at the manual
Regards,
Gary

G'day Gary,

Welcome aboard.

For running in do exactly what the manual says and don't listen to anybody who says differently unless they buy you an insurance policy on the engine to replace the warranty.

Enjoy.

White Pointer