PDA

View Full Version : convert gps marks to WGS 84

patrol50
20-10-2010, 02:15 PM
ok can soem kind fisho please advise how to convert this type of gps mark i.e.
HENDERSONS S27d07.6100M E153d28.8850 OR
FLAT ROCK S27d23.3060M E153d33.0970M TO WGS 84 DATUM please and yes i know its GREY NURSE AND green zone ok

:-[

thanks and my best rob

Scott nthQld
20-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I have no idea how to convert it, but have you tried punching them in in their datum on Google earth and then changing Google Earth's datum to WGS84??

jason p
20-10-2010, 03:41 PM
patrol 50 have a look at this site very usefull, gps latitude and longitude converter. this should sort you out.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html

cheers
jp

SatNav
20-10-2010, 06:02 PM
1. First you need to know what the datum is of those coordinates you have listed. For all you know they could already be WGS84?

2. The datum and the coordinate format you have listed are mutually exclusive

Charlie
20-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Those are degrees, minutes and decimal minutes.The flat rock mark seems to plot 120 to 200 meters north of the rock in google earth whichever datum you use, hard to say what you should use.

culbara
20-10-2010, 07:52 PM
easy way mate is to go into your plotter and change what ever datum you want to change from then put the gps mark in and reset your plotter to wgs 84 and it will do it for you

Dezzer
20-10-2010, 08:24 PM
More than likely that it is WGS84 now. As Charlie said, the decimal minutes make it look different.

Where's Kerry?

Scott79
20-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Rob,
To be accurate you also need to know the datum the marks are currently in.

Were the marks you have given sourced from paper charts? If so, I am assuming the chart datum is AGD66, there is a similar distance discrepency to what Charlie has indicated, although the variation differs depending on your location due to the shape of the earth.

Have a snoop around here, plenty of info available as well as a number of on line calculations:

http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/calcs.jsp#coords

It won't be too bad if you have a handful to do, but if you have plenty it would be much easier using some GPS software, OziExplorer etc.

What brand of GPS are you using, and are you using any software on the computer with it?

Cheers,
Scott.

2DKnBJ
20-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Rob
All you have to do is drop the "o" off the end of your current mark.
A better quality GPS will give 4 digits for your mark.
Try it yourself in Google Earth.
Type the marks you have and add as a placemark then try again without the o on the end.

Cheers Dazza

Scott79
20-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Did you try that with Rob's marks Dazza ??

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just entered in both sets of marks, one with the 4th decimal placed zero, the other without, and ended up with the identical location.

Scott.

jason p
21-10-2010, 12:28 AM
sorry mate i thought it was in deg min sec format but its in gps format so the link wont help in this instance. dazza is rite drop the zero off the end.

jp

patrol50
21-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Rob,
To be accurate you also need to know the datum the marks are currently in.

Were the marks you have given sourced from paper charts? If so, I am assuming the chart datum is AGD66, there is a similar distance discrepency to what Charlie has indicated, although the variation differs depending on your location due to the shape of the earth.

Have a snoop around here, plenty of info available as well as a number of on line calculations:

http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/calcs.jsp#coords

It won't be too bad if you have a handful to do, but if you have plenty it would be much easier using some GPS software, OziExplorer etc.

What brand of GPS are you using, and are you using any software on the computer with it?

Cheers,
Scott.

thanks scott yea got a few to do - mate gave them to me - my gps is a lowrance lcx27 c combo

patrol50
21-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Rob
All you have to do is drop the "o" off the end of your current mark.
A better quality GPS will give 4 digits for your mark.
Try it yourself in Google Earth.
Type the marks you have and add as a placemark then try again without the o on the end.

Cheers Dazza

thank dazza n much appreciated my best rob

patrol50
21-10-2010, 11:11 AM
thank guys appreciate the feed back
my best
rob