PDA

View Full Version : sierra TCW3 - worth the extra $ ?

nigelr
18-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Dealer recommends this, can't find out much about it other than it is marketed by Teleflex Marine.
Any opinions, anyone?
Significantly dearer than Caltex TCW3, at $37 for just under 4ltrs, but is it worth the added expense for use in a carburetted 90hp?
Cheers.

oldboot
18-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't know about that one but the Mercury "Quicksilver Premium Plus" is a noticeably better oil than the basic TCW3 and another popular other TCW3 I have used.
Noticably less smoke, and the motor sounds smoother running it...I've tried thins i 2 motors.

So a genuinly upspec 2 stroke oil is worth it.

cheers

dodgyone
18-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I like Yamalube for most 2 strokes. Tried a few and had faw fewer plug fouls with this one.

Megatop
18-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Have a look at Gulf Oil available at all BCF stores. They have 2 Stroke & 4 Stroke plus gear oil. Meets all the warranty requirements of all outboard manufacturers.
Check out their web site.

http://gulfoil-aus.com.au/pages/marine/index.html

Adrian

nigelr
19-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Pretty sure Caltex manufacture Yamalube.........and probably some others as well.
Thanks all for your replies.

Noelm
19-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I tend to use the oil recomended for the motor, so in a Merc I would use Quicksiler and in an e-tec I would use XD100 and so on, now I know that some oils may be made by one brand, but labled differently, but the difference in cost based on the amount that you actually use is not a lot, and warranty and repairs can never be questioned or denied on some whim that you used the wrong oil! and I agree with oldboot, Mercury Quicksilver oil is indeed a very good product regardless of who makes it for them, as is the XD range of oils from BRP, XD50 for your "normal" 2 stroke, and XD100 for your high end job!