PDA

View Full Version : Whitening old grimy Gelcoat

FishHunter
17-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I discovered this use for this stuff recently and thought I would share it.
This boat has been washed many times with all kinds of "this is the best" including acids, truck washes, heavy duty cleaners etc.

Nothing works like Napisan Vanish stain remover, I used 4 lids to 3 litres of water you may need less.

I used it yesterday before removing the recently installed rod holder and you can clearly see the yellowish gel coat that was under the rod holder.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/P1010741.jpg

I then gave it another wash with the Napisan and an hour or so later you can see the difference
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/P1010744.jpg

It does leave the gel coat looking a bit chalky afterwards but a polish soon sorts that out.

larfin
17-10-2010, 06:03 PM
How did you apply it and how long did you leave it on?
cheers
greg

FishHunter
17-10-2010, 07:14 PM
How did you apply it and how long did you leave it on?
cheers
greg

I just painted it on with a paintbrush but for stubborn marks I used a sponge with a scotchtbrite pad.

rogerb
17-10-2010, 09:01 PM
That's a nice tip about Nappysan, be careful using Scotchbrite pads the result may look great at first but the small scratches that they put into the gelcoat soon pick up dirt. Try a rubbing compound, even Jiff does a pretty good job.

Cheers, Rog

fisho64
17-10-2010, 09:11 PM
does it work on 2 pack paint as well I wonder?

FishHunter
18-10-2010, 05:31 AM
That's a nice tip about Nappysan, be careful using Scotchbrite pads the result may look great at first but the small scratches that they put into the gelcoat soon pick up dirt. Try a rubbing compound, even Jiff does a pretty good job.

Cheers, Rog

I am buffing the whole boat with a rotary buff and assorted cutting compounds and polishes as I go along.

Noelm
19-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I have been using stuff like domestos and nappy san for years with a small scrubbing brush, it works a treat on non skid white surfaces, cleans them up brand new, BUT wear old crap clothes, or they will also be nice and white! and make sure you hose it all off well, it will bleach lots of things you dont want nice and white.