PDA

View Full Version : Sea sickness & Power bands

D river
16-10-2010, 06:52 AM
I've heard that them new power band things that every 1 seems to be wearing as a fashion now days actually work on sea sickness has any1 got any feed back on this or ant other ideas that they use to cure this problem. (sick crying kids tend to ruin days out sometimes)

FISHAWN
16-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Ive heard scientists say they are a crock of shit, much like brocks' polarizer.

Captain Seaweed
16-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I have heard the same

TimD
16-10-2010, 09:29 AM
If your talking about the bands you wear on your wrists that push on a pressure point or something to stop sea sickness then dont waste your money.

My wife wore them on a offshore charter once and she spent the whole day in the toilet chucking her guts up

Get yourself some kwells or travacalm tablets

cheers tim :)

Captain Seaweed
16-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Best remedy on my boat is Kwells and Travacalm. The guys I fish with complain about feeling tired off Kwell so I spoke to the chemist he said that each work on different chemicals so find which one works better, also travacalm has caffeine in it to counteract the tired effect.

Marty

4x4frog
16-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Ive heard scientists say they are a crock of shit, much like brocks' polarizer.
:LMAO:energy polarizer :hammer:
Think those bands or anything like them are all rubbish. Saw the guy touting them on one of the shock affair shows swearing they worked. Which NRL team used them? Did they win?

FishHunter
16-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I get seasick at the drop of a hat and either Kwells or Travelcalms work fine for me.

Gon Fishun
16-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Was told by a well informed and practising fisho not to drink milk 12 hours before hitting the water. By doing that and kwells has helped my wife in looking forward to getting out on the water.;)

champion
16-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I wish i was the guy who invented the "power band" biggest rip off story going round !!!
Here NRL team "wear this" and watch the profits grow !!

Some people are so weak that they need to believe in this rubbish ......what's this world coming to ?

Try the Avomine !!

Leave the gimmicks to ACA & Today Tonight.

D river
17-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Yes I thought that would be the verdict on them, To me its like getting ya palm read, a total load of sh#t. Travel calm works most of the time on my kid but sometimes she gets crook on calm as days when ya dont expect it so thought I'd ask to see if any1 has tried them but yeah I not wasting $60 on 1 unless I got bombed with good reports. And I didnt

STUIE63
17-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I wish i was the guy who invented the "power band" biggest rip off story going round !!!
Here NRL team "wear this" and watch the profits grow !!

Some people are so weak that they need to believe in this rubbish ......what's this world coming to ?

Try the Avomine !!

Leave the gimmicks to ACA & Today Tonight.

it is not the NRL team they make their profits from but all the juniors they are the ones that buy them . and there was plenty of kids wearing that rubbish

PeterGar
09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I second Avomine but I also add Kwells.

I have had chronic seasickness for all my life in anything over a 1m swell which is a little embarrassing when you are the captain. I find that I am 100% covered with an early night, Avomine the night before and Kwells.

I have tried the sea bands, ginger and everything else but the Avomine and Kwell combo works really well.

PeterG

Rhinoc
09-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Some people are so weak that they need to believe in this rubbish ......what's this world

lol - listen to all you hardheads. Bagging these power bands as rubbish. Even if they work because of subliminal effects isn't that to the wearers advantage. Just because it's in the persons mind doesn't have to mean it's rubbish. Try carrying a bunch of bananas onto any of our boats for a days fishing and watch the response. Most non-fishos would consider us all mad for thinking they're bad luck but hey, we all believe.

In sport these days at the highest levels it's those 1 percenters that make a difference. Coaches spend countless hours dreaming up ways of convincing their superstars that they can be better. It's all a physiological game now days and if by wearing a power band the player feels as though it makes a difference and plays better as a consequence, what the problem?

By the way, I was given one and had the same attitude and response as has been aired here but figured I'd throw it on for fun and believe it or not, the constant ache from an old sporting injury (which I had been suffering for years) disappeared in days and has been gone ever since. I didn't even contemplate it would have any impact on the injury. Guess what, the power band remains on my wrist now.

So if the consensus here is that I'm weak minded then so be it. I'll continue to wear it.

I can't comment on it's effectiveness against sea sickness though, sorry.

Cheers,

Rhino...

Leon Kruse
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I've heard that them new power band things that every 1 seems to be wearing as a fashion now days actually work on sea sickness has any1 got any feed back on this or ant other ideas that they use to cure this problem. (sick crying kids tend to ruin days out sometimes)

the motion sickness bands ( Acu Bands ) with the pearls in them work for me and my mates kid when we go out, and if we forget them the youngfella is spewing before we even drop the pick not sure about the power bands though never heard much about them but kwells work well to

NEWBY
10-11-2010, 05:45 AM
lol - listen to all you hardheads. Bagging these power bands as rubbish. Even if they work because of subliminal effects isn't that to the wearers advantage. Just because it's in the persons mind doesn't have to mean it's rubbish.

In sport these days at the highest levels it's those 1 percenters that make a difference. Coaches spend countless hours dreaming up ways of convincing their superstars that they can be better. It's all a physiological game now days and if by wearing a power band the player feels as though it makes a difference and plays better as a consequence, what the problem?

By the way, I was given one and had the same attitude and response as has been aired here but figured I'd throw it on for fun and believe it or not, the constant ache from an old sporting injury (which I had been suffering for years) disappeared in days and has been gone ever since. I didn't even contemplate it would have any impact on the injury. Guess what, the power band remains on my wrist now.

So if the consensus here is that I'm weak minded then so be it. I'll continue to wear it.

I can't comment on it's effectiveness against sea sickness though, sorry.

Cheers,

Rhino...

Same reason that Religion is still around.
People have to have SOMETHING to believe in.
Personally I believe in ME. It works for me and I dont get seasick.
Hey now theres a market for me.
"Try an all new "NEWBY" today for sea sickness, miracles, fortunes and just good luck" But dont send any money, we will bill you.......

NEWBY
10-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Mythbusters did a seasick remedy show. The asian dude was the poor bugger who had to spew his arse up through his nose to prove or disprove certain seasick remedies. I am sure there was a little furry thing in one of the buckets. I think it was his ar$e. I hope he swallowed it again.

BANDS.....FAIL
KWELLS AND THE LIKE......FAIL
GINGER TABLETS....PASS

Yep, ginger. The only thing that worked on him.

marto78
10-11-2010, 06:14 AM
I remember reading a while ago (I think it may have even been on here) that if you were say right handed that if you blocked your left ear it had an effect on the inner ear and stopped people getting sea sickness.
I dont know if it works or not but I always carry a pack of kwells on the boat, and if one of the deckys doesnt know if they get sick or not its their choice to take one before the trip as I have a rule of not turning around for sea sick deckies, I may drop them off on an island for the day but :P

gawby
10-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Newby, I am happy for you if you believe in yourself :LMAO:

I have tried bands, ginger, quells, travel calm and everything else you can think of and still spew my arse through my mouth until I got onto AVOMINE which has fixed me up.
I can still get sick but after one spew I can sit down to coffee and lunch or tea what ever time we are out and have no more trouble.
Be careful giving it to children as I gave adam who is 13 a tablet the other day and zonked him for the day so if he feels he needs another one I will give him a half tablet. They do make me a bit tired as well but most motion sickness tablets will do the same.
Graeme;)

nipper525
10-11-2010, 07:50 AM
After all my years as charter captain and crew I,m good now ,but before that as little guy first going to sea in 14 ft quinnie seas sickness was the worst till i was told to have a tablet BEFORE BED and another in morning..It made you not as restless and nervous about the next day and night excited about going on in the ocean fishing. It was in your system ,no juice for breaky.lol .Never tried bands or patches,heard horror stories of some patches but the amount of people who ask me and I have told it seamed to work .If you leave the dock or ramp and start to get sick having a pill is useless from what i have seen..And I have seen some different seasick people..Omg i could tell some stories.lol

Anyway my two cents worth but it helped me..Hope it will help someboby as it is not nice..

Defore
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I've tried Ginger, the bands and Kwell.
The only one that worked for me was the Kwell. If it is going to be a bit rough when going diving I only take half a tablet, otherwise I get a dry mouth.
The bands worked for the better half (so wasn't a complete waste of money).
I took a workmate fishing, he use to be in the navy and worked on the engines in a destroyer for 15yrs.
Like every one else I take fishing, I offered him a Kwells. I was waiting for him to refuse, but he took it with a smile.
He never got sea sick on navy ships in any seas, but was always sea sick on small boats.

Ian

Heath
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
The Powerband for is definitely mind over matter.
We got them for our footy team half way through last year, U9's.

Amazing the change in how the kids tackled and played the game.

These were the $3.00 ones from China, imagine if we'd got them the $60.00 ones!!! LMAO!!!