PDA

View Full Version : Self centering rollers for barcrusher with easytow trailer

wetryin
15-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I have a barcrusher and for ease of driving on the trailer I have installed a boat latch but the problem being that the standard easytow trailer rollers have too much give in them and sometimes the boat wont align with the latch.
I think self centring rollers should align the boat centre every time, but which ones do I put on? Should I be looking at the

the blue polypropolene self centering rollers suitable for alloy boats or the
Yalio rself centering ollers with the metal insert and yellow sides or
red polyurethane rollers?It seems the blue polypropolene rollers may be the way to go as they seem to be more suited to alloy boats. Or does plate boats tend to cut into the roller? Could the sharp keel of the alloy plate be damaged by the yalio rollers? After a couple of years of use my first rollers when approaching the trailer cop a real beating. Can anyone offer their thoughts? Or do I need a couple of yalios down the back of the trailer and the rest another type?

Sabre
18-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Have a look at this:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=2870

May help......

White Pointer
18-10-2010, 06:58 PM
G'day,

Boat latches and drive on trailers have been a hot topic of late.

I sugest that you read this thread and come back to us with some pictures of the roller setup: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=168562

Regards,

White Pointer

wetryin
19-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Sabre
This wont work on the bc trailer due to the standard setup, as the first (rear) roller is not bolted in with brackets, but rather a standard roller, held in place by a rail to which the rollers (10) sit.
WPointer,
I had been following this post by lancair but my problem is much simpler. The boat always goes on the rollers; just does not self centre 100% of the time. It does engage but not 100% of the time. Sometimes its just off centre on a few of the rear rollers (as they get the most gouges over time) and the gouges on the rollers does not engage the boat latch. I think I will try the yalio (alloy) rollers which should, I think, solve the problem. If the current rollers were new,or virtually new, I should imagine I wouldnt be posting this as they should work fine. Lots of launches, rollers wear= need new rollers for boat latch.
The red rollers, over time, as the blue ones currently on the easytow trailer gouge in places due to the plate hull rubbing on the roller.

White Pointer
20-10-2010, 07:04 PM
G'day,

Any chance of posting a couple of photos of the boat sitting on the trailer? A 3/4 angle down one side from front to rear and then rear to front would be good.

Regards,

White Pointer

Skusto
21-10-2010, 12:47 PM
i would not use alloy rollers as they will wear the bottom of the boat. i used one on a tinny and it wore a lot of alloy off

Lancair
21-10-2010, 12:55 PM
A friend had self centering rollers on his tinny, They work great going to the trailer. It was getting his boat off that the dramas began. The rollers work to centre rolling forward but if the keel got slightly off centre when going backward, the rollers actually pushed the boat off the rollers and did some damage. He learnt that by not putting the boat too far into the water on launching would stop this happening.
Possibly not an issue with heavier boats, I dont know.

Lancair

Moonlighter
21-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Gidday

I used the ally self-centring rolers on my previous plate alloy boat - just the first couple of rollers as the boat comes onto the trailer, and they worked fine for many years so I think you're on the right track with the yaloys. Before I had fitted them, I had chewed out about 3 sets of the hard poly blue ones.

On the other hand, you could have avoided all this if you had a genuine Surtees on a Surtees trailer;D

Then you'd have got the Surtees custom trailer latch included at no extra cost (which I can report is simplicity itself and works a treat!), and also the boat goes onto the Surtees multi-roller trailer straight every time.;) ;D ;D ::)

Cheers!

ML

wetryin
25-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks all for your comments however I could not wait and with the 20% off bcf rollers prices meant that the bias $37.50 rollers worked out the same rollers a smidgen under 20 bucks a piece meant I had to give it a go. The stock standard blue rollers, after lotsa use needed replancement anyway). Fitted the whole set last week. Gave it a go first time last sat (2 days ago).

Should I say now that last Saturday Morning it was one of those very few absolutely perfect mornings to go and look at (and fish) the tweed and cudgen canyons). Wasnt exactly glassy on the surface but wasnt far off! But even in these conditions it was a long way back to tweed bar (close to an hour).

Back in the ramp the new rollers worked ok in retrieving the boat although my deckie said to give the approach on the load on another go (wrong angle). Gave it another go and with the right approach and another one final push it latched Looking later at the rollers (in the garage) and the impact to the keel it seemed too much pressure on the keel vs roller in the front half of the roller set so I thought to raise the front hull rollers by 10mm.

Launched again yesterday- no problems- it did unlach, however I did not reverse in order it to detach from the latch, to launch so I pushed off. I did think the front rollers needed moving up a little so I adjusted.

After I lifted the front rollers by 10mm and after I re- loaded the boat back on the trailer I realised my front rollers too high and I will have to adjust (better at 5mm) but apart from that ok. The rollers just arent sitting on the roller.

My trailer has 10 keel rollers and 6 sets of side mounted hul rollers (3 pairs per side). At the time of purchasing the yalios from bcf they had only 9 in stock.
I then put the first one (from the stern) as a blue (stock) roller to absorb the impact( first roller is the worst worn) and the rest as yalio rollers.

Loading the boat on the trailer worked ok ( couple of problems I think only due to the ramp I used sunday a much steeper angle that I normally launch at) and it latched in the end ok. I do like that clunk in the latch to know you are fully latched

Next time(this weekend) back to the usual ramp and launch and retrieve solo.I will keep posted with pics of the new rollers and the new (hopefully) new roller setup.