PDA

View Full Version : Things on the nose below NPD.

rayken1938
15-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Looks like SEQ water not doing a fish rescue or clean up.
In behind the Petrie historical village there are live fish stranded in small pools and dead fish. Boney bream,mullet,Tandanus,bass and yellowbelly.
Place stinks to high heaven wouldnt bother going there for a fish for a while.
They used to involve the local stocking assn in their fish rescues but that has not happened the last couple of overflow events.
Their answer appears to be just to shut out the public. If you cant see it it doesnt happen.
Cheers
Ray

sarg
15-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I wonder if the local paper had a few photos wether it would go to print?

loophole
15-10-2010, 09:07 PM
hows that true?

correct me if im wrong but after the last overflow didnt a few local members and what not spend hours rescuing lungfish from the ponds below the dam wall?

i belive there is pictures on here

rayken1938
16-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Apparently there was a fish rescue over 2 days but they concentrated to the area immediately below the dam wall where the lungies congregate.
Cheers
Ray

tim barra master
16-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your interest Ray
Unfortunately this water release I am led to believe was three times larger than ever before. All 5 gates were open again today at a lesser flow
Some PRFMA members have been onsite as you were
The PRFMA committee have approached SEQ WATER and are awaiting a request for assistance
When this happens all members will be notified
PRFMA would appreciate your help if this happens
Tim.

Mike Delisser
17-10-2010, 11:57 PM
hows that true?

correct me if im wrong but after the last overflow didnt a few local members and what not spend hours rescuing lungfish from the ponds below the dam wall?

i belive there is pictures on here

Apparently there was a fish rescue over 2 days but they concentrated to the area immediately below the dam wall where the lungies congregate.
Cheers
Ray

Gday guys, I put this in the July 2009 issue of Bushn'Beach to publicize the great work the PRFMA do. As well as the fish stocking at Nth Pine Dam and Lake Kurwongba, the group is also heavily involved in native fish breeding and distribution for local mosquito eradication, local waterway clean ups, childrens and family fishing education clinics, and occasionally fish rescues like this

PRFMA Lungfish Rescue
I think you'd be hard pressed finding any group that care more about the health of a waterway and the welfare of fish than the members of your local stocking group. This was clearly demonstrated recently when 29 volunteers from the Pine Rivers Fish Management Association (PRFMA) and two Seqwater rangers rallied to save over 100 lungfish trapped in small rock pools downstream from the Nth Pine Dam wall. Along with many of the stocked species, the lungfish were washed over the spillway after days of solid rain filled the dam to overflowing.

Once the water subsided the stocking group members rummaged through long grass and shallow pools to catch the prehistoric fish by hand before carrying them up the steep bank to waiting 4wds. It was no easy feat as the terrain was quite rough and some of the larger lungfish weighed well in excess of 20 kilos. From that point they were driven up to the main basin of the dam and promptly returned back to their watery home. This was only possible because unlike a normal fish, lungfish have the ability to bypass their gills and breath air into a single lung, therefore they can survive out of the water for some time. Most recovered quickly upon release and swam straight off but a few of the more stressed individuals needed to be nursed for up to an hour in knee-deep water before they came good.

I was impressed to see how hard the volunteers worked to save each one and I heard many comments describing what a wonderful feeling it was to release these living fossils and watch them swim off into the deep. It's believed that North Pine lungfish are all descended from 8 originals that were captured and brought down from the Mary River in the late 1800's. They have an incredible lifespan and it's quite possible some of the specimens rescued could be up to 70 years old.

Thanks to the efforts of all those involved, a total of 103 lungfish were saved from a miserable death as the pools dried up. Shayne Dumma from the PRFMA said the successful result was due to good cooperation between the stocking group, DPI&F Freshwater and SEQWater (Dom, Mat & Lewis), and then of course there was the hard work performed by the volunteers on the day. He also wanted to thank Don at Redcliffe Dive Centre for raising some of the much needed funds used in various PRFMA projects such as the lungfish rescue. If you're interested in learning more about the stocking group or perhaps joining up, you'll find all the information you'll need on their web site at www.prfma.com.au (http://www.prfma.com.au)

Photos
John Fitzgibbon relocating one of the larger lungfish
Morrie Griffin was just one of the hard working volunteers from the PRFMA
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9361/lungy.th.jpg (http://img541.imageshack.us/i/lungy.jpg/) http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3959/0019.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/i/0019.jpg/)