PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with my boat??

finga
14-10-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm in a bit of a pickle and don't really know what to do.

I've got my big old boat up here in Warwick now and I should sell her as I cannot use it any more due to my hands and arms gone all wanky. But I can't stand to part with her.
She hasn't been in the briney for 2 years...but I can't stand to part with her.
I've never sold a boat before and we don't need the money but we need the space.....but I can't stand to part with her.
If I parted with her I'd be always wondering what happened to her. But I don't want to part with her
If I parted with her I'd always feel obliged to repair her if something goes wanky.....even if it was 30 years after the sale. So should I save myself the worry and keep her??
If I parted with her I'd want to rebuild her first....just to make sure everything was dunky dory. But that might take 12months or longer the way I work. Or should I save myself the worry and pain and just keep her??

Or do I just build another shed and park her next to the Stebercraft Beaver and the rest of the crap like the Kingswood and the Commer and the VW and the Daimler and the motorcycles??

I hate selling something. It's worse when I don't really want to but should.
What should I do??
What would you do??
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-027.gif

Horse
14-10-2010, 07:29 AM
It sounds like another shed is the solution. Failing that see if a mate will go 1/2's in her and then you can potter around on her to keep her ship shape and he can take you out on her doing all the hard yakka
Its never easy getting rid of boats you have loved

Neil

Chimo
14-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Build another shed and pop her in there.

What breed is she?

Hope alls good otherwise and the arm etc gets sorted.
Your watch is still in the pending pile by the way. Hows the harvest looking?

Cheers
Chimo

finga
14-10-2010, 07:37 AM
It sounds like another shed is the solution. Failing that see if a mate will go 1/2's in her and then you can potter around on her to keep her ship shape and he can take you out on her doing all the hard yakka
Its never easy getting rid of boats you have loved

Neil
No halves Neil. That never works.

Yep, it's like trying to part with your left nut I'm afraid.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-023.gif

Pete...she's a Cooper Craft top built on a Bertram hull.
Old Tower of Power that's near like a new one.

I've given up on the arms. Looking like more surgery on the elbow now.

Inspectors are making the harvest tuff...the buggers...but where there's a will there's a way.

stinky-stabi
14-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm in a bit of a pickle and don't really know what to do.

I've got my big old boat up here in Warwick now and I should sell her as I cannot use it any more due to my hands and arms gone all wanky. But I can't stand to part with her.
She hasn't been in the briney for 2 years...but I can't stand to part with her.
I've never sold a boat before and we don't need the money but we need the space.....but I can't stand to part with her.
If I parted with her I'd be always wondering what happened to her. But I don't want to part with her
If I parted with her I'd always feel obliged to repair her if something goes wanky.....even if it was 30 years after the sale. So should I save myself the worry and keep her??
If I parted with her I'd want to rebuild her first....just to make sure everything was dunky dory. But that might take 12months or longer the way I work. Or should I save myself the worry and pain and just keep her??

Or do I just build another shed and park her next to the Stebercraft Beaver and the rest of the crap like the Kingswood and the Commer and the VW and the Daimler and the motorcycles??

I hate selling something. It's worse when I don't really want to but should.
What should I do??
What would you do??
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-027.gif

wot sort of bikes do you have and are there any to sell ???????

Thunderace2
14-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Join it onto to the house and turn it into a man room !!!!!:2thumbsup:

Dantren
14-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Hand it down to a younger member of the family?
Are the grandkids keen on boating?

finga
14-10-2010, 09:05 AM
wot sort of bikes do you have and are there any to sell ???????
3 or 4 pre 1970 Honda's. and NO!!!

Join it onto to the house and turn it into a man room !!!!!:2thumbsup:
It's under the back patio now. So it's about 4 steps from the back door to go and sit in her and reminisce. About another 8 steps gets to the BBQ.
If I leave her there I might have to raise the roof a bit to get the outriggers out.

The cook has already kicked up a stink when I wanted to bring the 1961 Royal Scott outboard into the dining room as an ornament. Something about when hell freezes over or over her dead body or something like that. I didn't take much notice after I saw the look on her beautiful face.
I was even going to make a nice wooden stand to put it on but.... :-?

Hand it down to a younger member of the family?
Are the grandkids keen on boating?
No kids.
There would be heaps of free loading relo's but they'll only wreck her I'm afraid. And the ones who'd look after her have boats already.

Waraba Mick
14-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeh mate i feel your pain, i have just picked up a 1964 honda gb30 4hp out board. The first question from the minister was what are you doing with that thing.
It would look great in the lounge room as part of a nautical feature i replied:D well at this stage sadly its still in the shed. I guess they just dont under stand.

Mick.

dooley
14-10-2010, 10:42 AM
To be completely honest mate, i'd sell it now while it's in decent condition and buy something that you'll be able to use.

While we love to reminisce about old faithful, the truth of the matter is that in time she will deteriorate and unlikely be used - we all know that the longer a boat sits idol, the more problems.

I had an old glass tub that was in pristine condition once, i didn't use it that much because i couldn't get crew all the time and didn't want to scratch it when heading out on my own - it spent ages in my garage and i'd routinely take it out, wash it, kick her over then wheel her away. after a while though the engine started to show signs of lack of use with the water jacket cracking.

I had her fixed and made the decision to sell - it was tough mate, a boat that i'd spent years caring for was tough to part with and i wondered if i'd made the right decision but realistically I wasn't using it and if i did want to use it hard i'd really like to repower and refurbish the trailer so was going to cost a bomb. I decided the financial decision outweighed the sentimental and figured i'd treat myself with the money from the sale.

Looking back it was the best decision, i got reasonable $$$ for the boat and bought another boat at the time that i used heaps - it was a small tinny that i'd put in the river on my own and could easily wheel about the house to get it out of the way!

I know it's hard to part with stuff that might have sentimental value and we all approach these things differently but i reckon it's better to sell now while it's still worth something rather than watching it waste away or having to maintain something and spend money on rego/insurance/maintainence etc for no real benefit apart from sentimental ones which might mean alot to some so i'm not knocking the sentimental thoughts, just giving my own thoughts and experiences.

Sorry to hear about your health issues mate, do you reckon you could handle a little tinny ? Might be the way to go, it was for me!!!!

Good luck bud,
D

charleville
14-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Finga, I reckon that I agree with Dooley.

It is the memories that you want to preserve not the hulk that it may become over time and on which it may break your heart to see what the ravages of time do to it.

You could take a bunch of high resolution photos and select the best and have it made up into a big canvas print for your workshop wall or elsewhere if the cook will agree to it. Big W have a 40% discount on their canvass prints currently.

After my Dad died when I was about 24, I kept his old bondwood caravan and spent far too much time and money trying to restore it to some resemblance of its former glory but it really was a wasted effort and it was with much joy that I sold it to some bloke who made an offer after seeing it sitting in my Mum's yard with grass growing long around it.

You can get a canvas print five feet long if you really want to. All for about $240. http://www.bigwphotos.com.au/landing/40canvasOct2010.asp

Marlin_Mike
14-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Give it to me Scotty, and I'll tip a bucket of salt water over her every week. :)

Jarrah Jack
14-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Bloody nice looking boat there Scott. A gem..I reckon that you would feel good about selling it if it went to the right person who appreciated it and looked after it as you have.

So the question may well be "How do I find the right buyer". You could kick the bucket tomorrow then it would go to anyone..I'd be setting out looking for someone who would really appreciate her, the boat that is, and if you don't feel good about it then no sale. Its like getting a pet dog a new home, its not necessarily the money but it has to feel right..

TimiBoy
14-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Dooley's right, Scott. Memories are in your head.

Why don't you sell it and give the proceeds to your favourite charity? That will make you feel really good about doing it.

Cheers,

Tim

Micadogs
14-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Scott, I tend to agree with Dooley also. You have your memories from the boat. If you sell it, then someone else will have the opprotunity to create memories of their own.

Spend a bit of time with the new buyer and ensure they are fully satsfied with the boat e.g. take them for a water test, show them how you maintained it, take em for fish etc etc. There is nothing that you can do after they have driven out the gate but at least you will have piece of mind when they do.

I am similar, I just sold an 80 series Landcruiser. I could have paid approx $200 bucks for a quikc and nasty job to get through roadworthy e.g. steering master cylinder leak - $80 for a new seal or $300 for a complete new exchange unit. I choose the $300 option as it gives me piece of mind. There were several other little things that I choose to fix properly.

That was 4 weeks ago and they dropped around a card the other day saying thank you for the effort that I went to etc. Makes you feel good!! Also, if something does go wrong, inevitably it will with 2nd hand equipment, they wont blame the seller, instead realise they have bought an expensive and depreciating asset that requires normal maintenance repairs.

Give someone else a chance to create the memories that you have. Regards Adam

finga
14-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies fella's.
Dooley....mate, already have the tinny. It was a project from a few years back.
His name's 'Junior'
I think you fella's are right. Except you Mike. Your a funny bugger eh ;)

I might just bring her up to scratch and flog her off.
She's isn't worth much because of the age of the motor but it's just one of those things. Old is bad....even for the old legendary Mercury tower of power's.
I suppose with the money I can buy another car. Maybe a Morris Oxford??

I honestly can't see it getting used much out here. We're 200km's from the briney.
And she's a bit big for the dam.

Marlin_Mike
14-10-2010, 03:17 PM
u could buy another electric scooter for the cook then you could race her down the main street of Warwick :)

Mike

finga
14-10-2010, 03:21 PM
u could buy another electric scooter for the cook then you could race her down the main street of Warwick :)

Mike
You idiot. They won't let me use the Gopher I have. Fun busters they are.... :P
Wait until I make the little dray for Pongo to pull again. I wonder what reason they'll have to not allow that in public.
For those who are wondering what/who a Pongo is. He's our big black boof headed Labrador. :)

I am thinking about registering Freddy though.
It's only $180/year to register a tractor...and no parking problems ;D

PADDLES
14-10-2010, 03:31 PM
sheesh finga, stinky was straight onto those old hondas of yours .............

Saltboy
14-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Finga

What are dimensions of boat and what comes with it if you sell ? I had the same trouble with an old EK Wagon of mine. Killed me when I sold her but driving the new commodore just seemed soooooooo much easier!!

Saltboy

tunaticer
14-10-2010, 05:14 PM
You could strip the wiring out of it and remove the motor and tanks and donate it to the local kindergarten as a play feature?? That way you would be able to see many a kid enjoying your boat every time you walk by.

Seriously.

And even more seriously you could sell it quite easily I think, it is a saleable item that has been well cared for and in good nick.

Flex
14-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I always go by Philosophy of " If you go 12 months without using something chuck it or sell it"
Kinda makes you use stuff then:)

Suppose everyone is different, I dont get attached to things sentimentally.

I rekon sell it and then maybe someone else will get to use it for what its meant to be used for "floating on water" Seeing a boat sit in a shed until it dies is a tragedy.

Lucky_Phill
14-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Park it in the big shed, fill it with ice and Pink Cruisers.;D ;)

See you Tuesday :P

The ferets are right Scotty, sell here ( take many pics beforehand and use in Calendar ) and put some $'s to good use..

Motorized Walker ?

Bionic Arms ?

A reward for the names of those dingos that stole ya tools etc ?

Cheers phill

PinHead
14-10-2010, 07:41 PM
never aprt with it Scott..you would never forgive yourself.

The solution is simple. park it out in the yard..make sure the bungs are in..wait until the next rains..the boat fills with water..drop some fish into it..now what an incredible conversation piece that would be..a boat with the fish on the inside.
just gotta think outisde of the square mate.

murf
14-10-2010, 07:47 PM
You own a Commer :-? :o :)

cheers Murf

trymyluck
14-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Or you could just park it in the garden, fill it with some potting mix and turn it into the biggest flower pot in Warwick..........;D

murf
14-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I was thinking along the lines of putting a bar fridge in it, lengthen the bait board and leaving it in the BBQ area as a bar, could add all the old rods/reels etc :)

cheers Murf

you own a Commer?

ffejsmada
14-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Set it on fire, burn it to the ground, scrape up the ashes.

You've got rid of it, but you haven't parted with it.

Put the ashes on your mantle piece so you can reminisce and cry about it every night!::)

Sounds like you've got too much crap hanging around anyway.;D

Gon Fishun
14-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Get together with your mates and lotsa tinnies;D and imagination. A few cuts here, a few cuts there, put the barbie in, put the esky in, a coupla seats, a ladder. Maybe take it off the trailer and put on a steel frame ( bit lower). Magic. Your own unique entertainment area;D

White Pointer
14-10-2010, 10:23 PM
G'day,

So you love it and you don't need the money. So the only reason to get rid of it is that somebody else should get the enjoyment that you have had before age and deterioration wreck it.

Sure you can sell it but then its gone. You make this sound like a divorce while still in passionate love but you can't get it up anymore. Is this getting too graphic?

My suggestion is to give the boat away to a kid (i.e. under 25) with a passion for fishing and boating and a bit of nouce, willing to learn from an old salt like you and maintain your relationship with the boat and with the new owner.

He or she will probably be more passionate than you. A gift is often treasured more than a purchase because it represents more than the money spent. The kid gets a free boat to love and care for and you get the unlimited pleasure of teaching and watching somebody young learn and grow.

No vested interest here. I'm a lot older than I look in print!

Regards,

White Pointer

finga
15-10-2010, 06:56 AM
You fella's assume that she's going to deteriorate with age.
Obviously you've never seen stuff in my shed.
They only get better with age.
Why?? I've got nothing better to do with my time :)

If I part with her it's going to be to someone I don't know or hear from again.
Just like a divorce...a clean separation. I'd never want to hear about her or see her again.
So those here can forget about it.

Murf...YES!!! I own a Commer Express Delivery Van from 1954 and my brother has the ute.
Also have a 1963 Datsun 1200 ute (320). How's that for that really unusual vehicle. :)
My other brother has a 1964 version of the same ute. His is table top and mine is a well back.
But the Datto is still better then the Daimler. At least you can go to the tip with the Datto.

But back to the boat.Tanoa made into a lounge for the BBQ area sounds OK.
I was going to make one out of the back of a HQ station wagon but the boat might do. Na, that'll be a waste of a boat.

Thinking about it I might just do a few things to her and park her on the road with a for sale sign and buy a Morris Oxford with the money.

I want to get a timber boat for the Royal Scott and what else could I tow it with BUT a Morris Oxford :D

Oi Bruce...I've always wanted a bondwood caravan too. Just to tow behind the Daimler to picnics so I can have a kip in comfort.

Defore
15-10-2010, 09:22 AM
I honestly can't see it getting used much out here. We're 200km's from the briney.
And she's a bit big for the dam.

Don't forget about Global Warming, the Greenies keep saying that the seas are rising.
In a few years you will have beach front property and the problem will be solved ;D

Ian