PDA

View Full Version : Honda Owners

troy
12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Have a 75 Honda which is only 4 months old and have noticed the brackets which you use while travelling have gone from silver to a pale blue also most of the bolts on engine leg are doing the same and some have started to corrode.
Any ideas what is causing this and what to do.
Thanks
Troy

halfawoody
12-10-2010, 04:12 PM
try removing the anodes and check if its painted behind them if it is remove the paint so the two metals come in contact i have seen that on a suzuki and that was the problem

Jarrah Jack
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Send a PM to Gary" Spaniard King" not much he desn't know about em.

troy
12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Are honda engines as good as what i was to believe.
A lot of members knock e tecs but i owned one and never had this problem.
Surely someone must be able to explain why this happening as the Honda is silver yet it parts are going the color of a battery terminals when not maintained.
Most of the stainless steel on the boat is also going the same way ladder- cleats around the center console.
Could this be some reaction that is causing this as it is a disgrace for a boat only 4 monts old.
Troy

Spaniard_King
12-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Troy,

Without inspecting it myself, IMO you have something on the boat which is using the Hull as an earth (the current is flowing throught he hull to the engine and using the engines earth to get back to the battery)

I have noticed that some bolts do have blue marker on them, this is used to signafy a bolt that has been tensioned at the factory.

oldboot
13-10-2010, 05:44 PM
The other thing is to make sure that the motor is properly electricaly bonded to the hull and that there are no other electrical connections to the hull except a properly made earth bonding point.

on most motors there are little earth straps the tie all the moving parts of the tilt swivel assembly together.

Chech what shold be there and make sure they are there and making proper contact
all it takes is a bit of excess paint in the wrong place.

cheers

troy
13-10-2010, 07:08 PM
The other thing is to make sure that the motor is properly electricaly bonded to the hull and that there are no other electrical connections to the hull except a properly made earth bonding point.

on most motors there are little earth straps the tie all the moving parts of the tilt swivel assembly together.

Chech what shold be there and make sure they are there and making proper contact
all it takes is a bit of excess paint in the wrong place.

cheers

Not real sure what you mean but have sent a pm to Spainard King.Maybe i am over reacting but when i see corrision starting on the motor i start to worry.The paint around bolts is only slight and hard to see but it is starting to lift and it might not go any further but it is only 4 months old but if it does go further i am up the creek.ThanksTroy

oldboot
13-10-2010, 10:29 PM
If everything is not properly earthed ( not realy the correct term but it will have to do) you can have stray electrical currents either generated by chemical action or by incorrect electrical connections that will cause corrosion.

If your sacrificial anode is not properly bonded....the next most reactive metal will be what is attcked.

cheers