PDA

View Full Version : Plate Alloy Kits

rat_catcher
12-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Does anybody have any experience with the Plate Alloy kits like this;

http://www.platealloy.com/cats.htm

I am particularly interested in the 7.5m Power Cat. I like the fact it uses the space in each hull for an extra single berth per side, as well as having a head, galley and dinette and it still has a trailerable beam.

I would think 2 x 175hp Zukes would be a good match of weight/power.

I wouldn't do the work myself, but look to find a professional boatbuilder to take on the project, but am really wondering how a cat like this would compare to a Sailfish, Kevlacat and/or Noosacat.

Thoughts?

peterbo3
12-10-2010, 04:52 PM
RC,
The CTMD on the plans stands for Chris Tucker Marine Designs. There is another person on Ausfish (?) who is welding one up. I am sure Chris will give you his details if you contact him.

STUIE63
12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
is this the one you were talking about Peter
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=137635
it did look like a great boat when it all seemed to stop
Stuie

PB
12-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Gday Rat_Catcher
PM Sent
Cheers.

rat_catcher
13-10-2010, 05:19 PM
There is another person on Ausfish (?) who is welding one up.
Yes I have seen the other boat details, but it seems to have ground to a halt and it is only a 6.5m version. I am interested in the 7.5m one. I did find CTMD on a US Alloy Boats website so have been reading his posts. Very interesting.

rat_catcher
13-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Gday Rat_Catcher
PM Sent
Cheers.
Got it. Thanks.

Chris Tucker
17-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply (someone just showed me this thread). I'm not sure if I've spoken to you Rat_Catcher but I'm happy to answer any questions you have about these boats, but will do so in a general format so as not to turn this into an advert.

In relation to your original question this boat will have a very similar ride to a Kevlar/Noosa cat as the hull form falls into the same basic family. Some of the other kitsets in the Plate Alloy Australia Cat range (particularly the smaller ones) have a more race boat style asymmetric hull form to facilitate easier construction. Typically these boats will be slightly faster but won't handle quartering seas as well. All my boats have highish wing decks as I'd prefer to minimise slamming than chase a small speed improvement from compressing air into the tunnel.

Generally speaking the hull forms on composite boats whether they are my design or someone else's should be slightly better than on an ali boat as it is possible to build any shape you want while with ali we are restricted to developable shapes. However unless the boat is cored (like Roger Hill's Arrow Cat) the ali boats tend to be a little lighter and therefor faster.

2 of 175 hp would be my maximum recommended HP for this design. A pair of the new suzuki 140s will give you a top speed around 40 knots and save you a lot of weight and money.

rat_catcher
17-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi Chris....thanks so much for posting in this thread. Some excellent information here. Feel free to PM me if you have more information you want to share, so you don't upset anybody thinking you are advertising.

Lovey80
18-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Bugger that give us all the info ya can!!! I'd love to see a fill write up on these bad boys!

rat_catcher
18-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Bugger that give us all the info ya can!!! I'd love to see a fill write up on these bad boys!

x2

Me too! Just don't want to upset anybody.

Chris Tucker
19-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Lovey80,

I'm happy to answer general questions here in the open. Just don't ask me to compare my products to other products on the market. Or expect me to go the hard sell.

Heliduck
02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Did you go ahead with the plate alloy cat Ratcatcher? I'd love an S8 but can't afford it so I'm looking at spending a bit of time burning wire, interested in experiences.

ric
03-04-2017, 10:38 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/193635-Ric-s-7-5m-Plate-Alloy-Cat-Build
I've done one mate what do you want to know?

Chris Tucker
03-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I don't think Rat Catcher went ahead. However, there have been a couple sold direct from Plate Alloy where I've received a royalty but never heard who they were going to so I cant be 100% sure. Back in September I posted a whole lot of photos on Bookface (https://www.facebook.com/ChrisTuckerMarineDesign/) showing the different deck layouts available for that platform. The below video is Ric's boat.

https://youtu.be/w5gyG40i7OY

Heliduck
03-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Excellent thread Ric. I'll have a good look through it, you probably answer all my questions. My biggest concern is the finished product, I'm a diesel fitter by trade & no stranger to a mig but I've never built a boat before. How difficult is it to get the side sheets wrapped & welded with a smooth finish? I don't want to call the boat "rumple- steel- skin"!

thanks for the link Chris, I'll do some browsing.

Chris Tucker
03-04-2017, 01:50 PM
If you take your time and keep the plate cool there is no reason the boat shouldn't come out looking pretty fair. The side plates are the biggest part of the boat and they weigh about 70kg each. Working smart, 2 people can wrap them, with 3 it will be easy. Where are you based? Plate Alloy's boat building course (while it might start off a bit easy if you can weld) is well worth the time and investment. Its a truism that after building your first boat you're ready to start building your first boat. So if someone else can own that first one you're ahead of the game.

ric
03-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Excellent thread Ric. I'll have a good look through it, you probably answer all my questions. My biggest concern is the finished product, I'm a diesel fitter by trade & no stranger to a mig but I've never built a boat before. How difficult is it to get the side sheets wrapped & welded with a smooth finish? I don't want to call the boat "rumple- steel- skin"!

thanks for the link Chris, I'll do some browsing.

Side sheets aren't difficult. Once you get to the side sheets during the build progress, you will of already learnt enough to do a nice job.

It really is amazing how good the kit is though. I only had 1 very minor error in mine which was easily fixed! Especially considering what your building.

Heliduck
04-04-2017, 04:09 AM
Good info gents, thanks. I'm pricing up all the goodies now to see what the total cost would be from start to fishing. What's a ball park figure for the painting Ric?

Chris Tucker
04-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Heliduck, drop me a PM with your details and I'll email you a whole lot of info.

ric
04-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Good info gents, thanks. I'm pricing up all the goodies now to see what the total cost would be from start to fishing. What's a ball park figure for the painting Ric?

I'll send you a pm