PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives - Stabil, diesel and others

cormorant
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
What fuel additives , stabilisers for the boat are people using and is anyone buying in bulk?

What price?

With all the talk of fuels and ethanol in fuels etc I was wondering what stabilisers and fuel treatments people are using? Last time I spoke to one of the fuel tech guys they wern't convinced on them and they won't sell their own that they use at the refinery for country region fuels.

Also what diesel treatments are folk using

Noelm
08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Never been a fan of any "fix it in a can" stuff, although I am sure there is dozens that are great, but sprays and miracle stuff is usually only a band aid after neglect by the user has caused a drama, this is only my opinion of course.

Steeler
08-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I am a big fan of Stabil but maybe i am biased.

PWCDad
09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
I was never a fan of additives either. Been playing with engines since I was a kid.

Currently running a 1.8 litre engine to 8250 rpm for 240hp with supercharger safe to 100,000 plus rpm.

Engine is running BP ultimate and engine uses a marine SF 10w-30 mineral oil changed at 25 hr intervals.

So no additives there ... but the engine can run 10% ethanol. If we are forced to use ethanol I will use StaBil brand fuel additive for stability of the fuel between fills. We also leave the tank empty these days not full. The tank is a pressurised system i.e. not vented to atmosphere. Boats will have to run this system in the future... well, at some point. This is a great idea and protects the fuel somewhat from transpiration. High humidity air going in during the hot/cold cycle of day night condensating.

Also... First time I have seen a boat motor manufacturer recommend an aditive...

My Volvo Penta V8 270hp Duoprop drive Owner's Manual states...

You can use ethanol blended fuel at a maximum of 10%. If using ethanol blended fuels we recommend to use a fuel stabiliser like Sta-Bil.

I'll therefore be going for the StaBil brand. Especially in the two year warranty period.

Regards
Anthony

cormorant
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah a few brands are suggesting use of them for any length of fuel storage. They all suggest something in the states for winterising although no one wants to overwinter with any ethanol.

Good to see the Yammies get some hours on them . be interested what teh expected life of those motors are .

I wonder if stabil have changed the formula with all the ethanol fuels

Some of the manufacturers fuel additives also contained a octane booster hence people said the motors performed better.

We only use stabil in a genset that is a backup power source as the fuel can sit for several months but being drum fuel it already has a stabiliser last time we spoke to the fuel guys. If it ever dies the new one would be a diesel so less of a issue

I wonder if it a volvo australia handbook or the worldwide one? Volvo usiually doesn't suggest other companies products

Mad-One
10-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Stabil comes highly reccommended and is a huge seller in the states. I know you can buy it at any Repco store

Cheers Mad