PDA

View Full Version : 9.9hp Jonno with electric start, but where is the start button?

TheRealAndy
07-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Ok, here is a good one. With my newish sailing boat, I got a 9.9hp jonno saildrive. its a 1996 model. I dont think its been started in 5 years, but 3 pulls and a lot of white smoke and away she went. Was even pumping water, although I am thinking I should get the water pump serviced.

So as I was going over it I discoverd a few things. IT has 2 wires coming out to an anderson plug, which connects to an anderson on the boat. I assumed this was for charging. However further peering under the covers revealed a starter motor. So now I assume the anderson is for 2 things, charging and starting. The only problem is, I cannot for the life of me figure out how the electric start works. Not that it matters, is piss easy to pull start. But now I am curious.

Any ideas?

STUIE63
07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
we used to have a red witch with a evinrude and the starter switch was on the bulkhead in the cabin with the circuit breakers
Stuie

TheRealAndy
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
we used to have a red witch with a evinrude and the starter switch was on the bulkhead in the cabin with the circuit breakers
Stuie

So maybe the outboard does no charging and the cable is purely for the starter?

I will do some more investigating as to where the cable to the outboard actually goes.

Spaniard_King
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
The old can't find the starter button hey :) :) :)

Black button on the underside of the tiller handle :0

TheRealAndy
07-10-2010, 09:25 PM
The old can't find the starter button hey :) :) :)

Black button on the underside of the tiller handle :0

Thanks for that. I will test you knowledge out on Sunday when I get back to the boat!

TheRealAndy
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Nearly got it Garry!

ITs actually on the gear shift lever. Spent an hour starting at it today and following wires around. Couldn't test as the battery is here at home on charge. But I then found this : http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1996/BJ10SELEDD%201996/STEERING%20%26%20SHIFT%20HANDLE/parts.html

In the picture, its the black bit with the white drawing on.