PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best Anchor

littlemac
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
hi guys,

i would like to know your thoughts on the best anchor for the bay and offshore, i like the idea of the sarca but will it fit the boat and the cost???
i have had a plough style before
any thoughts would be great

cheers

brett

Flex
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Dare I say it?.... an E-Tec!..

littlemac
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Dare I say it?.... an E-Tec!..

i dont think that would work as i have had them before ;)

DATCOL
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
COOPER anchor Very good in all conditions
Cheers COL

Mr__Bean
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I cannot go past a triped plough anchor for that type of use.

Very good holding strength, and when set up correctly the trip line will break and you can power the anchor back out of a reef or whatever it is snagged on.

I have been caught on reef, wrecks, and structure and haven't lost the anchor in 6 years.

And it is a big anchor with lots of chain.

Info here: http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/images//Boat%20Articles/Boat%20Maintenance%20Safety/Setting_up_an_anchor_retrieval_trip_system_-_Boating_Maintenance_Articles.jpg

- Darren

Noelm
07-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I dont think there is a "best" anchor, the type of bottom and how long you want to be anchored for in what sort of weather will determine the "best" like (say) a small reef pick is great for fishing over reef, but not the best (actually useless) in sand, and a plough is a big heavy anchor to use, but they work, but probably the last choice for reef and coral, you need to determine your needs first, then choose, most have a reef pick and some sort of sand anchor, like a Danforth that folds flat and takes up very little space. I use a reef pick for fishing, and an oversized sand anchor with a heap of chain for diving, but I "unhook" the anchor from the rocks before I get back in the boat.

ozscott
07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I cannot go past a triped plough anchor for that type of use.

Very good holding strength, and when set up correctly the trip line will break and you can power the anchor back out of a reef or whatever it is snagged on.

I have been caught on reef, wrecks, and structure and haven't lost the anchor in 6 years.

And it is a big anchor with lots of chain.

Info here: http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/images//Boat%20Articles/Boat%20Maintenance%20Safety/Setting_up_an_anchor_retrieval_trip_system_-_Boating_Maintenance_Articles.jpg

- Darren

You wouldnt use this for night time mooring though would you Darren? I would be worried that it would shear the tie and pull on the change of tide from the fluke end and dislodge, but for daytime use monitoring it its a good idea.

I also like the plough..a good one. I use a Manson that has never let me down and has high holding power in the Bay. For reefs I would drift or use a pick, but I dont have a pick so I drift...

There has been quite a bit of debate on here about Sarca and similar. I think the plough from a good maker - proper balance and shape etc - have stood the test of time.

Cheers

no chicken tonight
07-10-2010, 08:03 AM
for reef work, i like the moloolaba pick. will drag a bit unitil it gets a good bight on something but with a bit of extra lenght of chain, works well in all but sand.

lethal098
07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Mooloolaba pick for reef anchoring, set on a trip. Then just a standard sand anchor for other types.

Let me know if you want one Brett, will be picking one up over the weekend.

cheers Lee

Jarrah Jack
07-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Have a good look at the cooper on their web site. Cheap compared to the sarca, light and very effective in most conditions. Can be set to trip with a plastic tie.

Ally Jack
07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
You wouldnt use this for night time mooring though would you Darren? I would be worried that it would shear the tie and pull on the change of tide from the fluke end and dislodge, but for daytime use monitoring it its a good idea.

I also like the plough..a good one. I use a Manson that has never let me down and has high holding power in the Bay. For reefs I would drift or use a pick, but I dont have a pick so I drift...

There has been quite a bit of debate on here about Sarca and similar. I think the plough from a good maker - proper balance and shape etc - have stood the test of time.

Cheers

I use a Mooloolaba prick that I built myself on a trip setup for reef anchoring day and night, with 2-3 good size zip-ties on the trip, and with tide swings and heavy wind blows (30kn) never had a problem. I set the anchor alarm very short distance and often get woken up but never for the anchor letting go.

Ally Jack

hakuna
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I use a Mooloolaba prick that I built myself on a trip setup for reef anchoring day and night, with 2-3 good size zip-ties on the trip, and with tide swings and heavy wind blows (30kn) never had a problem. I set the anchor alarm very short distance and often get woken up but never for the anchor letting go.

Ally Jack

Mooloolaba PICK maybe , thought you are maybe tying some of the locals to your anchor rope/

cheers

Defore
07-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Mooloolaba PICK maybe , thought you are maybe tying some of the locals to your anchor rope/

cheers

I had the same thought.

I was imagining Ally Jack making cement boots :o

Spot82
07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
We just use a tripped plough, never had any issues and hooks up first time every time as long as you have enough chain.

Never had any issues with the cable ties letting go, we use a 27lb plough and 5m of 3/4 chain (i think) and use 3 heavy cable ties as the trip (6.25m Cruisecraft). Even when retrieving the anchor out of rough country a lot of the time the trip doesn't let go, only when you need it to. The 27lb is a bit of an overkill, 20lb is a good size for a 6-7m boat.

Anthony

finding_time
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
27lb wow, is it you or Sean with the muscles?? As you say 20lb will be heaps i use a 15lb on my KC!

Ian

Ps. Doesn't PE Tackle make the Worlds Best Anchor???;D ;D ;D

Spot82
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
27lb wow, is it you or Sean with the muscles?? As you say 20lb will be heaps i use a 15lb on my KC!

Ian

Ps. Doesn't PE Tackle make the Worlds Best Anchor???;D ;D ;D

Haha yeh those hooks are farking strong! they anchor pretty good, attaching them to an anchor chain might be a bit difficult tho :P

Asking who has the muscles? Silly question, haven't you seen the pics of Sean in the reports... he is lucky to weigh 50kg ringing wet ;D I think he has a 15lb in the Stabi.

Anthony

bigjimg
07-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Gday Brett,I use a 12lb Delta,don't need much else in the bay.Got a Mooloolaba Pick for the rough country outside but have never bothered to anchor up as yet.We always use the parachute,the current more often than not is running.Got around 6m of 8mm shortlink connected to both and have anchor swivels attached as well.Jim

littlemac
07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks for the info guys,
i just need to get another boat now for all the different types of anchors out their, those coopers look good.

thanks again

cheers

brett

TREVELLY
08-10-2010, 05:55 AM
I use the coopers with 6m of chain and a zip tie - works okay for me on 6.25m centre cab offshore.

finding_time
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Just dont use anything to expensive!!! ALL anchors will get stuck in the reef at some stage, as more often than not it the chain that is doing the sticking!!! This is the big problem flash expensive anchors, it's going to cause grief when you have to cut that line!! I've used a 15 lb tripped plough for years and only lost one when my anchor line rubbed through during a really rough night! The best things about the tripped plough is it workes really well in sand, mud , gravel , rubble, coral reef, rocky reef so you can anchor very accurately where ever your fishing and accurately anchoring is the BIG secret!!!

Ian

Mr__Bean
09-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Cheers

A good point, but no I do use it at night and it does hold in the rough. But I do use a couple of large tie-wraps that are wrapped around a couple of times each.

Others I have seen use very very large diameter leader but for me the big tie-wraps are much easier to reset if you do have to power it out of a snag.

If we are bedding down or anchoring in very strong current then we put a d-shackle on it for the night, but only if conditions require it. We keep a couple of d-shackles on the boat for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

- Darren