PDA

View Full Version : Competition Prizes

NEWBY
06-10-2010, 06:56 AM
My company along with a few others will be hosting an OFFSHORE, Pelagic species only fishing comp off Gladstone next August to raise money for a couple of good causes but after now attending a few comps and looking at the prizes on offer, was wondering what fishermen really wanted as prizes?
Reels and boats and rods etc seem to be the order of the day but most of us already have this stuff so the prizes become unwanted.
So if you lot can put in some ideas on what you would REALLY want as prizes I will make sure that we don't have the usual boring giveaways at the first tournament.

The competition will be called the
MOTORWORLD OFFSHORE CLASSIC and will be held in mid to late August of 2011
ALL monies raised through entries and sponsorship will go to non-for-profit organisations, one such being ECOfish QLD. Another being VMR ...
No bottom bashing, just the savages of the ocean...
Shoot me a PM if you want to know more closer to the comp.

Lucky_Phill
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
People.

NEWBY has asked a question here and I know it was covered before in a forum, but... that topic was interrupted by negative posts regarding what people do in comps when big prizes are on offer.

SO< let's just have a response to the question, and not delve into the why's and why nots !!!!

IMO....

To have the prizes directly relating to the competitors result in a specific category is a must. ( example.... some comps give whiting rods as a prize for winner of the Snapper category ?? ) ::)

I also like the " random draw " side of most comps..;)

Cheers Phill

Marlin_Mike
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
How about say a weeks accomodation at a local place. That way after seeing how beautiful the area is, someone can come back and visit later on. If you know what I mean.

I also am a fan of random draws, with every entrant having a ticket in the draw.

Mike

Noelm
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
how about instead of (say) a $200 rod, the winner gets a gift voucher for that amount to spend at a sponsors store, that way the sponsor still gets recognition, the winner gets some gear that he/she really wants, and it is not exactly "cash", we have run a few comps like this, seems to work OK, of course some sponsors like (say) Shimano prefer to donate a reel, simply because they do not have a retail store, and I guess the item may cost them bugger all. The random draw is also a great way to get everyone on an even footing.

Marlin_Mike
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
P.S: I will be booking the week off with work and the boss ( read - wife :) ;) )

I will be there, sounds like a date to me.

Mike

fat-buoy
06-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I would be more inclined to come along and join in a fishing comp where the prizes for biggest and best are more along the lines of trophy etc and then the other prizes be random lucky draws etc....

PinHead
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
regardless whether the "prizes" consist of goods, cash or trophies, I believe that if it is a fishing comp then all "prizes" are awarded for fishing results. Not a random draw where someone who may not have even been fishing can win the major prize.

stonecold
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Went through this scenario as a competitor not long back. Managed to scrape up the winning jew at a comp. Cash prize for biggest of species was great I could spend it on what I wanted. I did receive a rod as a nightly prize for biggest of species on that day. Fantastic, but i will never use the rod that was allocated as the nightly prize....can i swap it for something I will use? "No, do you know how many people ask if they can swap their rod for something they will use?" Apparently heaps. Yes I can see the problem for the sponsors and event organisers, long and the short of it is easily redeamable vouchers in my opinion are best although they dont look as good on display up on the stage.

Reefmaster
06-10-2010, 03:21 PM
After being in many comps one thing that frustrates many is some of the prizes given for daily winners and also final winners. Getting rods/reels etc thats does not suit the catergory of species you have won it for seems kind of pointless.

I think the money is always a favorite among anglers so they can put it towards the cost of the trip or towards there own prefered fishing gear.

The many comp fishos i know who win would love to keep the big made up cheque/banner thats presented to them on stage which states the species etc...This is given back to and to me suggests that people just want something to show/remember their catch with so I would suggest trophys are a great form of recognition to those who win.

Greg

lethal098
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
yeah random prizes will not happen in this comp, this is a pet hate of many competitors and in previous threads you will know why, including the organiser

prizes that relate to the part of the comp that they have won/competed in, ie not a bream rod for offshore category.

cheers LEe

NEWBY
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Cool as guys. Thanks for the input and keep it coming eh?
The random draw is a good idea as long as you have actually competed in the comp.
Having to be there for the draw I do not believe should be a pre requisite as just entering should be enough. You cant be fishing and at the draw at the same time.
This is not in direct competition of the Boyne Tannum Hookup in fact it is everything that the Hookup is not really.
This is for fisherpeople.
You win stuff by fishing.
You enter to fish.
The fish swim instead of laying on the bottom.
It takes skill to catch these fish.
There are Billfish in these waters.
This is to raise funds for Marine Rescue and Ecofish.

So keep your ideas coming for me and know that I appreciate your input. I really do want to make this a great competition.

You will be amazed at what I have in the wind for this one....

jtpython
06-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Good on your Newbs . I always like the idea's of the meduim sized esky's they have on offer at some comps.
Money is always good . Throw in a top Notch polo with all the compo details and sponsers in your size
JT

thelump
06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I would be happy to win anything!! But if I were to have a choice I think the vouchers are the go. As others have said if Rods and reels are on offer make them suitable for the class of fish that was targeted. Will be watching this with interest as the pelagics are my favourite targets. Great idea.

NEWBY
06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
How about fuel?
Like a fuel card or similar?
Like first prize in Biggest Mack is a $500 fuel card?
Whats your thoughts on on that type of prize?

NEWBY
06-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I would be happy to win anything!! But if I were to have a choice I think the vouchers are the go. As others have said if Rods and reels are on offer make them suitable for the class of fish that was targeted. Will be watching this with interest as the pelagics are my favourite targets. Great idea.

I will start a mailing/contact list soon.
I am still working out logistics and what I need IE licenses and permits etc.
Stay tuned...

NEWBY
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
One of the logistical problems about Gladstone is the distance to good trolling grounds. Although 25+kg horse mack can be caught out the front of facing island, the really good grounds are about 50 mile out and this was going to be a definite hinderance to my plans but how about this???
If I can get a barge or mother ship to take fuel out to Wistari Reef which is about 40nm out and we use Wistari as an overnight base. I got this idea from the Hervey Bay Ramada Classic held in November. The smaller boats tied off the barge and had showers and beds etc and it saves the big travel out and back. We stay in Rooneys Point during the Hervey Bay comp. Compliments to Doug and all the crew at the Hervey Bay Game Fishing Club. It is one of the best organised events of any description, not just fishing, that I have ever seen. That comp inspired me to have a go at this.

Also guys I would like some advice on how long w should fish over....2 or 3 days?
Personally I would like 3 but with people working etc it may make it too hard. If its on a long weekend it may interfere with Family plans etc.
So I would like to see this roll out on a Friday-Sunday tourny with the Calcutta held on the Thursday night before hand. Definitely August though as the water temp is changing and the Big macks are about. Also the smaller blacks and sails are apparently moving through at that time too.

I am hoping to get the Ports involved too as they have powered sites at the Marina with showers etc. If I can get that together it would be great for the punters on the Thursday and Sunday nights.

I am going to go with what the masses suggest to me for the first year and make sure that everyone has a great time. Its all about the fishing in this one...

One more bit of advice I would like to get is the entry fee...
What do you reckon is a fair thing?
Remembering that all the funds go to Marine Rescue and ECOfish QLD who are instrumental in saving our lifestyles.
There will not be any funds used for anything other than prizes and the above 2.
If I cant get it donated then it wont happen basically.
I can only imagine how much is spent on organisational stuff at the bigger comps and that sorta negates the reason for having it in my opinion.

All ideas are welcome girls and boys.
Please help...

TheRealAndy
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Ahh, the good old prize scenario. The best get the big money, and thats the way it should be. IF you dont do it that way, then it never encourages improvement.

However, things like encourangement awards are probably the best prize you can give. IE, one guy who cant afford to to buy the fancy boat can still fish of the rock and catch several mack's, may not be the biggest, but he may have tried the hardest. That awarded effort may score him a trip as a deckie the next year. Being a deckie may well be worth more to him than a prize. In my opinion, these are the best prizes. Hard to score, but well worth the effort.

I encourage the same at the yacht club. The big guys with the money always win, but I put a lot of effort into encouranging the younger and not so well off, as they may be the guys that are wining the races in the end. When I was growing up, I never had the money, neither did my parents. I only got the opportunity to sail and go boating through interest and persistance, and when I see this now I rate it more highly than the the rich guy with the fancy gear winning all the races.

Jarrah Jack
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
You're right there Andy especially with sailing. Sometimes its just a joke but then you can have a wind shift and last can become first.

The same good things can happen with a fishing comp and has before. That last fish in the last hour. Thats what everyone dreams of happening and why a lot go in comps. Although the rich may have some advantages you just never know your luck.

Good luck with it Newby, well done for having a go.

Volvo
07-10-2010, 12:30 AM
How about fuel?
Like a fuel card or similar?
Like first prize in Biggest Mack is a $500 fuel card?
Whats your thoughts on on that type of prize?

Top idea matey:), make my fuel card to read "X-Bottles of Plumari " ;D .

therapy
07-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Went through this scenario as a competitor not long back. Managed to scrape up the winning jew at a comp. Cash prize for biggest of species was great I could spend it on what I wanted. I did receive a rod as a nightly prize for biggest of species on that day. Fantastic, but i will never use the rod that was allocated as the nightly prize....can i swap it for something I will use? "No, do you know how many people ask if they can swap their rod for something they will use?" Apparently heaps. Yes I can see the problem for the sponsors and event organisers, long and the short of it is easily redeamable vouchers in my opinion are best although they dont look as good on display up on the stage.

Stonecold,
Was the rod you won a 8 foot live fibre o/head at the Moreton Classic? If so, I bought it off a mate at work (Lenny) and it has got heaviest jew written on it. Nice rod and thanks if it was you that sold it to me!
I have never entered a comp but the accommodation voucher or gift vouchers ( for local retailers) sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck with it Newby. If I update my boat by then I might come up and have a crack!! Don't panic other contestants, I doubt I would bother the scorers to much!!

Cheers....Terry.....

NEWBY
07-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Top idea matey:), make my fuel card to read "X-Bottles of Plumari " ;D .

SO ya gonna have a crack at the comp Pete?
And when ya comin in for a coffee?

baithaven
07-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Hey Newby...g'day...
Firstly On The Question Of "donated" Prizes From Companies...many,many Moons Ago I Worked For 2 "major" Fishing Companies In The Reel Repair And Servicing Areas.
I Had A Lot To Do With Representing Those Companies At Comps.(no I Didnt Get Paid For It. Was On My Weekends) But A Hella Of A Way To Go Fishing On Some Really Expensive Boats.

Anyhow I Digress...what I Was Getting At Is......

Most Companies In Those Days Donated "excess Or Outdated" Stock To Comp Organisers. How They Were Distributed Was Up To The Organisers Of The Comp.
The One Exception Was, One Time I Represented At A Big Game Comp Outa Sydney And The Company Provided A Large,new Product Game Reel For The Occasion.
This Was Dedicated To A Specific Catagory (tagging Thank God).
I Had To Get Up And Present It,yak About The Company Etc...they Wanted Their Pound Of Flesh Also!

The Point Of All This Is It May Explain To Some People Why You Get "whiting Rods For A Snapper Capture".

On The Question Of Prizes......mabye Some Way Of Recompensing People Their Expenses..ie Traveel,food, Accom,fuel Etc. Their Outlays For Actually Going To Ure Comp.

Id Like To See Squillions Of Prizes For The Kids...one Way To Dispose Of That "outdated Stock"

Yearly Subscriptions To Some Good Fishing Mags And Or Websites (ausfish You Listening?)

Mobile Phone Credit (you Listening Optus Or Telstra)

Internet Credit.

Dvds On Fishing Techniques, Depth Sounder Usage, Bar Crossing, Fish Handling Etc.

Rum...i Like Rum.

Beer..like That Also.

Things You Can Use...perishables Like Soft Plastics, An Eperb, Good Quality Line Etc.

Personally I Would Be Stoked To Get A Few Good T-shirts Of The Event!

I Hope This Is Of Help To You.
Or As Clear As Mud!

Have A Good One!!!

Regards Chris.

baithaven
07-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Hey Newby If Ure Looking For A Deckie????

NEWBY
07-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Hey Newby If Ure Looking For A Deckie????

I will let ya know mate.
Thanks fro the ideas. I too like having lots and lots for the kids in prizes. I will only be offering companies exposure if they agree to Vouchers etc to the value of etc etc. They can promote what they like but with vouchers, the punter (fisher-person) gets what the NEED instead of a garage dust collector.
I hadnt given too much thought to an alcohol sponsor as yet.
Once again, like the idea.
Years supply of RUM maybe????
Pallet of beer??? I dunno yet.
You can be assured that it will be substantial whatever it is.;D
I dont do anything by halves.

dodgyone
07-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Club Im with runs between 2 and 3 comps a year on the west coast.
We usually give away around 20g of prizes plus a dinghy for our main local one. Prizes suit the species and the dinghy is the door prize.
Smaller barra comp is only around 5g prizes and away Gamefishing comp is sitting around $15g but it has very limited categories and prizes are all Tiagras, Internationals etc.

upstart
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
G'day Newby,
So far it sounds like a great initiative. What I'm wondering is...Why do people enter comps?
Is it for the social aspect?
Is it to 'show off' the rig?
Is it to get a skin full of rum at night time? (my favourite!)
Is it for the prizes?
Other?

How many people who enter comps actually expect to win a prize? Are they disappointed if they don't? Is that the measuring stick for the comp?

I know here in Townsville it always seems to blow 25 knots whenever a comp is held, so I usually plan to do the mowing those weekends. I think that's the reason I've never actually been to a comp. I have however bought a ticket to the Bowen fishing comp in the past because I had a chance of winning the boat. Better odds than the pokies or the lotto.
If I knew that there were a ton of lucky weight prizes then I would more seriously consider actually fishing in a comp in the future.
Cheers, Ben.

Camhawk88
07-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Perhaps rathr than rods and reels- all of which have limitations, some things that everyone can use for most styles of fishing.
Being an Ecofishers sponsored event perhaps a tagging gun and kit, or a pair of Bogagrips or an Econet. Something that highlights the conservational side of fishing.
Good quality sunnies are always welcome regardless of what your fishing style is- I know Mako sponsored a heap of them to the Predators comp up here (not sure if thats still the case)
Shirts are good and should be offered for sale as merchandise- a good way of building funds, with a few extras printed up as prizes.

Eskies are gold- I dont think Ive ever seen a second hand esky for sale much less one with the words- unwanted prize.

As for trophies- I think the appeal of having a memory or something to stick in the pool room for a good catch is a great idea although I reckon medals look a bit better and dont break as easy. Having said that you cant skoll shampoo/rum/beer from a medal.

There are heaps of options I guess it all depends on who is interested insponsoring your event.

Camhawk88
07-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Just had another idea that I dont think ive seen in a comp before.

A few years ago our footy club had a presentation night and those guys that got awards for B&F or whatever, recieved a framed photograph of them after winning the premiership. They went down a treat and are a great reminder of that special day- sure better than a block of wood with a golden plastic footy player atop.
Perhaps a photographer could be hired (or offer services as a sponsor) for the weigh in and each competitor with a decent fish to weigh in is photographed with their catch. The winner of each category is awarded a framed photo (probably a week or so later) while you could also sell the other photos to anyone who wanted one- again adding to the Ecofishers fund.
I think this would go down well and be quite cost effective.
While "1st Prize- Framed Photo", will not bring them pouring through the entry gates, it can be awarded in conjunction with other prizes and it would be an opportunity to do something different and Im sure it would be really well recieved.
Just a thought.

FNQCairns
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I am no gun fisho, have fished about 10 comps over my life almost across the full spectrum of fishing types.

Discounting all the ones when i was a child and fished with my father/family on club outings (still have one of the tackle boxs I won when I was well under 10yo). As an adult I know that first and formost outside of the act f fishing, the lucky dip side of the prize pool was the next biggest come in spinner for me and the lack of these prizes could make for a deal breaker.

i dont understand the full scope of this comp but if it is aimed in any way at the typical fisho then the luck of these prizes matter.

Organisers could have on the application form a simple ticky box next to the lucky dip grade of prize contestants would rather be included in the draw for. Can think of problems as a result of this but I think not one that couldn't be hurdled.

ifishcq1
07-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Newby
a real fishing comp is a great thing and prizes such as your fuel voucher are bloody good
I like the idea of kids prizes
but the majority of kids that win comps frontup with mum or dads fish just for the prize and that doesn't teach them anything posative at all
(one exeption to the rule is JTs little girl she actually catches more than her share)
one request is to make sure it doesn't clash with the Tightlines comp here and you can count on support from this end
good luck

cheers

Apollo
07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Dave, first of all - good on you for putting your time, effort and your money into this great cause. Thumbs up from me.

Prizes - eskies, photos (not too many blokes have quality photos of their boat in action, so a photographer is an option), shirts, sunnies, local holidays, vouchers.

The distance offshore may be an issue for those in smaller boats given they are really only an option if the weather is OK and it is hard to commit early without knowing whether you will be able to get out there and compete.

Once again mate - top effort for taking this on.

Steve

NEWBY
07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
WOW some great ideas guys. Really positive thread and overwhelming support.
Photos and trophies are high on the list. Esky's etc.
I will release a very rough draft of my thoughts, AND YOURS, in the next few days so I can start the fine tuning.. Funny thing is, the easy bit was getting sponsors...

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
So here are my thoughts and they are open for comment and suggestion.

A 3 day tournament held over August 19-20-21st with the half moon and sensible tides. Also a great month for pelagic species. Yellowfin Tuna and Blue Marlin can be caught out wide. Black marlin mack, kingies etc can be caught in as close as North Entrance with mack available in the harbour.
$80 adults and $40 kids entry fee.
No more than 4 anglers per boat and no more than 4 members per team.
Thursday 18th, Calcutta and official sign on. Pick up entry packs consisting of shirts etc.
Friday 6am-5pm fishing with 4 hourly radio checks of catches.
Saturday 6am - 5pm fishing with 4 hourly radio checks.
Sunday 6am - 1pm fishing. last radio check at 10am. Back to Marina/Yacht club (to be determined) for final count and announcements. Dinner and drinks etc.

Prizes will consist of Vouchers and trophies...Competition will be tag and release or measure and release. I envisage being able to supply digital cameras to all boats for pics of all catches. so we dont have to kill any fish. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone having a feed of fish.
Prizes to be awarded on points basis so something like
most spanish mack caught. biggest spanish mack caught.
Same for other pelagics species. Most and biggest.
ponts accumulation for fish EG 100 per mack. Billies are 2000 etc etc with major prize going to biggest accumulation of points.
Same idea for kids categories.Ladies categories etc etc.
Champion boat accumulation of points.
Champion team.
Lots of fun prizes to be drawn too...
ALL monies raised to go to Marine Rescue and ECOfish QLD with a small kitty held over for 2012.
I will invite manufacturers and suppliers to attend and I will encourage them all to submit teams.
I will also encourage charter boats from Yepoon, Bundy, Agnes and Gladstone to make themselves available for charter for the event.
Trophies with pics and team pics etc will all be made available to ALL competitors.
Only competitors will be eligible to win prizes.

So thats my thoughts so far.

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 06:51 AM
G'day Newby,
So far it sounds like a great initiative. What I'm wondering is...Why do people enter comps?
Is it for the social aspect?
Is it to 'show off' the rig?
Is it to get a skin full of rum at night time? (my favourite!)
Is it for the prizes?
Other?

How many people who enter comps actually expect to win a prize? Are they disappointed if they don't? Is that the measuring stick for the comp?

I know here in Townsville it always seems to blow 25 knots whenever a comp is held, so I usually plan to do the mowing those weekends. I think that's the reason I've never actually been to a comp. I have however bought a ticket to the Bowen fishing comp in the past because I had a chance of winning the boat. Better odds than the pokies or the lotto.
If I knew that there were a ton of lucky weight prizes then I would more seriously consider actually fishing in a comp in the future.
Cheers, Ben.

I will try and answer that for you mate.
WHY do they enter??? ALL of the above I would think.
How many expect to win a prize?/ I would think that most would...But I also think they wouldnt care if they didnt really. These are great networking opportunities and fantastic events to meet some awsome people. Its for the good of our fishing future as well as the safety of it.
If its a lucky dip type "WIN" that people are after then enter the Boyne Tannum Hookup. This one is a "fishing" competition.

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Just had another idea that I dont think ive seen in a comp before.

A few years ago our footy club had a presentation night and those guys that got awards for B&F or whatever, recieved a framed photograph of them after winning the premiership. They went down a treat and are a great reminder of that special day- sure better than a block of wood with a golden plastic footy player atop.
Perhaps a photographer could be hired (or offer services as a sponsor) for the weigh in and each competitor with a decent fish to weigh in is photographed with their catch. The winner of each category is awarded a framed photo (probably a week or so later) while you could also sell the other photos to anyone who wanted one- again adding to the Ecofishers fund.
I think this would go down well and be quite cost effective.
While "1st Prize- Framed Photo", will not bring them pouring through the entry gates, it can be awarded in conjunction with other prizes and it would be an opportunity to do something different and Im sure it would be really well recieved.
Just a thought.
This is a great idea and I am going to make sure EVERY prize winner has a pic including the kids and I hope to get the bigger ones framed. I have a photographer ready to go and I will do a deal with a local framer. Hopefully...

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
I am no gun fisho, have fished about 10 comps over my life almost across the full spectrum of fishing types.

Discounting all the ones when i was a child and fished with my father/family on club outings (still have one of the tackle boxs I won when I was well under 10yo). As an adult I know that first and formost outside of the act f fishing, the lucky dip side of the prize pool was the next biggest come in spinner for me and the lack of these prizes could make for a deal breaker.

i dont understand the full scope of this comp but if it is aimed in any way at the typical fisho then the luck of these prizes matter.

Organisers could have on the application form a simple ticky box next to the lucky dip grade of prize contestants would rather be included in the draw for. Can think of problems as a result of this but I think not one that couldn't be hurdled.

Lucky dips will be there as always mate but its not high on the agenda. Once again, there are many lucky dip and reef raiding bottom bashing comps around. This is for fishermen. Competitive fishermen. (And women and kids) Its about fishing. Its not a lottery. Catch and show mate....Catch and win...OR even be a fool and win...Poor taste named teams will probably win something...etc etc...

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Newby
a real fishing comp is a great thing and prizes such as your fuel voucher are bloody good
I like the idea of kids prizes
but the majority of kids that win comps frontup with mum or dads fish just for the prize and that doesn't teach them anything posative at all
(one exeption to the rule is JTs little girl she actually catches more than her share)
one request is to make sure it doesn't clash with the Tightlines comp here and you can count on support from this end
good luck

cheers

Hence you must fish to win and it is catch and tag then release. Or if your not a tagger, pic and release.
I am sure Sunfish or the like will like to get some data from this. My 10YO also outfishes a lot of adults. I will be having line classes for the comp to encourage true angling instead of catch and drag. 8kg is a great class for most species. 24/37 & 60 is good for out wide chasing big blues. Although I will probably blow a day doing the heavy tackle out wide I will be certainly chasing plenty around with the 8kg. Its how my kids fish also. I will make sure it doesn't clash with tight lines. Hopefully it will enhance it or visa versa. If it is like this year they will hold it the week before this on the high tides and full moon. I am counting on it anyway.

NEWBY
08-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Dave, first of all - good on you for putting your time, effort and your money into this great cause. Thumbs up from me.

Prizes - eskies, photos (not too many blokes have quality photos of their boat in action, so a photographer is an option), shirts, sunnies, local holidays, vouchers.

The distance offshore may be an issue for those in smaller boats given they are really only an option if the weather is OK and it is hard to commit early without knowing whether you will be able to get out there and compete.

Once again mate - top effort for taking this on.

Steve

I think I have the prize ideas well and truly sorted now. We are all on the same page with this and thats great.
Eskys. Vouchers etc... All good.

As far as weather and smaller boats go, same as any comp I spose, its in the lap of the gods but August and September are traditionally the better of all the months to do this. If I can get this all right, a mothership or barge will be out at wistari for fuelling and accommodation for the smaller boats and Wistari provides great shelter. Wistari is the reef just before Heron Island.
Really, once you get past Masthead (30 miles out) your sheltered. Smaller boats can also fish south to Agnes or north to Cape Capricorn in the shelter of the land with pelagics a plenty to be had and protection from the S/Easters.
With food, showers, beds and shelter available from a barge or mothership, most boats will be able to get out for this one.

baithaven
08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
FISHING FOR THE FUTURE

PUTTING ALL POLITICAL AND OTHERS QUANDRIES ASIDE FOR A MO....
A LAST WORD ON PRIZES....
I THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE "WE FISH for the FUTURE' (OR FISHED)
ON ALL OF THE PRIZES/PHOTOS ETC TO DO WITH THIS COMP....

with a date on it also.....dont know about anybody elsa but i would feel proud
to show others that i made an effort to help sustain our fisheries and lifestyle!!

TAKE WHAT YOU WANT ,LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND...YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM

justlovefishing
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
A good idea but you will clash with the tight lines fishing classic in yeppoon
So here are my thoughts and they are open for comment and suggestion.

A 3 day tournament held over August 19-20-21st with the half moon and sensible tides. Also a great month for pelagic species. Yellowfin Tuna and Blue Marlin can be caught out wide. Black marlin mack, kingies etc can be caught in as close as North Entrance with mack available in the harbour.
$80 adults and $40 kids entry fee.
No more than 4 anglers per boat and no more than 4 members per team.
Thursday 18th, Calcutta and official sign on. Pick up entry packs consisting of shirts etc.
Friday 6am-5pm fishing with 4 hourly radio checks of catches.
Saturday 6am - 5pm fishing with 4 hourly radio checks.
Sunday 6am - 1pm fishing. last radio check at 10am. Back to Marina/Yacht club (to be determined) for final count and announcements. Dinner and drinks etc.

Prizes will consist of Vouchers and trophies...Competition will be tag and release or measure and release. I envisage being able to supply digital cameras to all boats for pics of all catches. so we dont have to kill any fish. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone having a feed of fish.
Prizes to be awarded on points basis so something like
most spanish mack caught. biggest spanish mack caught.
Same for other pelagics species. Most and biggest.
ponts accumulation for fish EG 100 per mack. Billies are 2000 etc etc with major prize going to biggest accumulation of points.
Same idea for kids categories.Ladies categories etc etc.
Champion boat accumulation of points.
Champion team.
Lots of fun prizes to be drawn too...
ALL monies raised to go to Marine Rescue and ECOfish QLD with a small kitty held over for 2012.
I will invite manufacturers and suppliers to attend and I will encourage them all to submit teams.
I will also encourage charter boats from Yepoon, Bundy, Agnes and Gladstone to make themselves available for charter for the event.
Trophies with pics and team pics etc will all be made available to ALL competitors.
Only competitors will be eligible to win prizes.

So thats my thoughts so far.

NEWBY
09-10-2010, 07:43 AM
A good idea but you will clash with the tight lines fishing classic in yeppoon

Do You have the dates for 2011?
I cant find them...

justlovefishing
09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
We are in the process of finalising them at the moment. Not sure how to contact you without it coming up on the main forum. PM your phone number and I will call you

Do You have the dates for 2011?
I cant find them...

NEWBY
09-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Well so far so good in fact great really.
Nothing negative and lots of offers of help and I cant tell you how much I do appreciate that.
Keep the ideas coming for me.
I want to make this THE comp to be in.
(No bottom bashing though...The reef cops enough of a hiding as it is during hookup)
And I am truly not after 100 fishermen and 2900 spectators. ALL with entries.
;D ;D ;D

NEWBY
13-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Two of the car manufacturers I represent has shown a lot of interest in sponsoring this event and I am now talking to them about some major prize contributions.
Look out, this could get bigger than Ben Hur in its first year....

MY ALIBI
13-10-2010, 09:51 AM
sound awsome il be keen i love fishin the heron areas , before or after the clasic sounds great......

baithaven
13-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Two of the car manufacturers I represent has shown a lot of interest in sponsoring this event and I am now talking to them about some major prize contributions.
Look out, this could get bigger than Ben Hur in its first year....

IN RELATION TO SPONSERS..JUST WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY OUT THERE THAT ARE INTO ENVIORAMENTAL AREAS...WHAT I MEEN BY THAT IS...RECYCLING COMPANIES, LANDCARE, FISH AND OCEAN RELATED INDUSTRIES OR EVEN UNIVERSATIES/SCHOOLS/SCIENTIST TYPES....
WHO WOULD WANT TO COME ONBOARD AND SHOW THEIR SUPPORT IF YOU GET MY DRIFT....:P

Lucky_Phill
13-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Just a thought big fella.

Public Liability Insurance.....

I know in this Politically Correct world, this issue will arise.

LP.

NEWBY
14-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Already on to it mate.
Just waiting for the ports Corp to get back to me re use of the marina etc and what support I can get from them.
I envisage I will have everything in place by December for a January launch and media start with it all hotting up round June/July.
All 3 radio stations and main print media will be involved so will be great.

NEWBY
14-10-2010, 07:20 AM
IN RELATION TO SPONSERS..JUST WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY OUT THERE THAT ARE INTO ENVIORAMENTAL AREAS...WHAT I MEEN BY THAT IS...RECYCLING COMPANIES, LANDCARE, FISH AND OCEAN RELATED INDUSTRIES OR EVEN UNIVERSATIES/SCHOOLS/SCIENTIST TYPES....
WHO WOULD WANT TO COME ONBOARD AND SHOW THEIR SUPPORT IF YOU GET MY DRIFT....:P

Sure are mate....
They are called ECOfish Queensland.......Go see the site and throw a few bucks at em. They are about sustainable fishing for ALL of us.
Hence its what this is about......And Marine rescue.......

Also LNG company and other mining related companies such as Australian Pressure Testing Services.....

L.P. You may have to bring el presidente up for a rec run out to the grounds and around the planned on shore festivities and activities... As you lot will be helping out in such a BIG WAY with setup and running etc....;D

NEWBY
14-10-2010, 07:25 AM
sound awsome il be keen i love fishin the heron areas , before or after the clasic sounds great......
Will probably be after at this stage....Last weekend in August or first one in September...

I suppose I will have a caryard full of boats in storage for any of the M&G boys if its early September as the Agnes M&G is only a couple of weeks after.

Chris Ryan
14-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Just call when you are ready for a "presidential tour" Newby. Missed ya at Agnes so be good to say G'day again.

NEWBY
14-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Just call when you are ready for a "presidential tour" Newby. Missed ya at Agnes so be good to say G'day again.

No worries mate.
Will be early in the new year eh?
Once I have everything finalised and locked in...Then we can all agree to disagree on everything else...;D

Chris Ryan
14-10-2010, 01:19 PM
All sweet with that mate.

Micadogs
14-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Newby, I didn't read all the threads so may be doubling up here, my list is as follows: (most of these would have to be in voucher form)

Consumables that all boaties need:

Fuel
Servicing
Alcohol and Food

Items that appease the WAGS (wifes and girlfriends) that give you the leave pass:

Dinners
Accommodation
Red Ballon vouchers ( so you can do fun things together)

All boaties have vehicles:

Servicing
Vehicle and Trailer part upgrades (second battery, washdown kits, high pressure cleaners, refrigerators)

In relation to clothing, which is expensive:

Sunshirts i.e. 50 SPF (get them printed with the tournaments details and picture like a marlin, mackeral i.e. taget species)

Hats - with details as above *** These two could be given to the angler that wins each category to display with pride)

Gortex type wet weather jackets

And as this is pelagic fishing:

The most required item, that is expensive and you loose a lot of is: LURES

Maybe a pack for each category:

Sunshirt and hat - all printed with categories, promo for next event, sponsor adevrtisement etc, some lures for that class and a voucher for fuel, accommodation, blah blah blah

Regards Adam

NEWBY
15-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Hi Newby, I didn't read all the threads so may be doubling up here, my list is as follows: (most of these would have to be in voucher form)

Consumables that all boaties need:

Fuel
Servicing
Alcohol and Food

Items that appease the WAGS (wifes and girlfriends) that give you the leave pass:

Dinners
Accommodation
Red Ballon vouchers ( so you can do fun things together)

All boaties have vehicles:

Servicing
Vehicle and Trailer part upgrades (second battery, washdown kits, high pressure cleaners, refrigerators)

In relation to clothing, which is expensive:

Sunshirts i.e. 50 SPF (get them printed with the tournaments details and picture like a marlin, mackeral i.e. taget species)

Hats - with details as above *** These two could be given to the angler that wins each category to display with pride)

Gortex type wet weather jackets

And as this is pelagic fishing:

The most required item, that is expensive and you loose a lot of is: LURES

Maybe a pack for each category:

Sunshirt and hat - all printed with categories, promo for next event, sponsor adevrtisement etc, some lures for that class and a voucher for fuel, accommodation, blah blah blah

Regards Adam

Mate I gotta tell ya, I might have to recruit you for the committee...
The voucher thing is a must.
Lures, well I might scoop the pool with that one. I am in peter Pakula's ear so hopefully, he will hop on board and old mate YALTA who makes his own great quality trollers, teasers etc will also be invited to attend and throw some out there.
Eskys...Lets face it ya can never have enough.
I even thought things like LED lights etc. I just fitted 3 x 6 blue led underwater lights. The ones that you see advertised for $900-$1300 dollars EACH... Do enough research and you can get samples from the manufacturer at a fraction of the cost. ;D

Cheers again Adam...

four_button_arnie
16-10-2010, 08:59 PM
NEWBS, i must say im a tad excited bout this Gladdy event, re prizes love Micadogs suggestion about shirts, i reckon the GO-SO shirts are quite appealing. Some nice stickers in the entry pack would be cool (boat/car/esky). Are you going to get a rad logo made up for the event, (classy calligraphy and a billie or something?)

With the shirts, could you make it an option to get say a nice collared shirt (1770 M&G) as standard in the pack and then an option to pay some more cash to get a long sleeved fishing shirt GOSO, kokoda something like that with comp logo, team name etc????

Great to hear your going to support Gladstone VMR, they provide a fantastic service, Jim and his crew, for not only boaties that have broken down but also for Ambulance Emergency Rescues, we use them to access anyone out on the islands boats etc.

Have you contacted the Gladstone Water Police??? They may be a useful group to have on board, nice lads too.

Camhawk88, love your idea Being an Ecofishers sponsored event perhaps a tagging gun and kit,

Josh
________
Babes live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/babes/)

NEWBY
18-10-2010, 07:43 AM
NEWBS, i must say im a tad excited bout this Gladdy event, re prizes love Micadogs suggestion about shirts, i reckon the GO-SO shirts are quite appealing. Some nice stickers in the entry pack would be cool (boat/car/esky). Are you going to get a rad logo made up for the event, (classy calligraphy and a billie or something?)

With the shirts, could you make it an option to get say a nice collared shirt (1770 M&G) as standard in the pack and then an option to pay some more cash to get a long sleeved fishing shirt GOSO, kokoda something like that with comp logo, team name etc????

Great to hear your going to support Gladstone VMR, they provide a fantastic service, Jim and his crew, for not only boaties that have broken down but also for Ambulance Emergency Rescues, we use them to access anyone out on the islands boats etc.

Have you contacted the Gladstone Water Police??? They may be a useful group to have on board, nice lads too.

Camhawk88, love your idea Being an Ecofishers sponsored event perhaps a tagging gun and kit,

Josh
I will look into the shirts mate. Maybe Sunsmart or something will want in.

poshmed
20-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Not sure if it would work, but with regards, small boats & weather issue. Could there be 2 class's, boats under a certain size that will be limited to range off shore. Might allow people with smaller boats to commit to the event regardless of weather conditions. Ian

NEWBY
26-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Not sure if it would work, but with regards, small boats & weather issue. Could there be 2 class's, boats under a certain size that will be limited to range off shore. Might allow people with smaller boats to commit to the event regardless of weather conditions. Ian

Sorry for the late reply. I have been pickling my innards at the Gold Coast 600.

Good Idea Ian.
And a must... I will definitely have 2 classes of boat.
up to and over 6m I think.

finding_time
26-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I have been pickling my innards at the Gold Coast 600.

Good Idea Ian.
And a must... I will definitely have 2 classes of boat.
up to and over 6m I think.

Two classes is ok Newby but....... If anyone tried to limit my fishing zone just because my boat is only 5.2m long i'd be more than pissed off!!!;) Where a certain boat fishes has to be left to the experience and discretion of the skipper of that boat after all it's his head on the block if something goes wrong!

Ian

NEWBY
27-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Two classes is ok Newby but....... If anyone tried to limit my fishing zone just because my boat is only 5.2m long i'd be more than pissed off!!!;) Where a certain boat fishes has to be left to the experience and discretion of the skipper of that boat after all it's his head on the block if something goes wrong!

Ian
Nah mate NO LIMITS...
Just classes so it makes the comp fairer.

NEWBY
27-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Just a thought....what about charter boat trips for 4 people or a team???
That have merit as a prize?

trymyluck
27-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Just a thought....what about charter boat trips for 4 people or a team???
That have merit as a prize?

Why not have it as a pre-event raffle, a day on a charter boat at your comp???

TheRealAndy
27-10-2010, 08:58 PM
What about a prize for biggest mack pulled aboard a sailing boat :P

And another prize for the only boat who has the balls to go mack fishing in 25knots!

PinHead
27-10-2010, 09:01 PM
why have prizes at all..if proceeds go to not for profit groups then are people that mercenary they won't enter if there are no prizes..who would want them anyway if that is their attitude.

PinHead
27-10-2010, 09:03 PM
What about a prize for biggest mack pulled aboard a sailing boat :P

And another prize for the only boat who has the balls to go mack fishing in 25knots!

geeze Andy...how about a prize for the only person with the balls to show up on a rag boat ??

I really need to have a chat to you sometime..Capt Cook came here on a rag boat..I bet he would have loved some bloody big Detroits underfoot on that epic journey..why are people all these years later intent on still using such primitive gear as a rag boat ????

TheRealAndy
27-10-2010, 09:34 PM
geeze Andy...how about a prize for the only person with the balls to show up on a rag boat ??

I really need to have a chat to you sometime..Capt Cook came here on a rag boat..I bet he would have loved some bloody big Detroits underfoot on that epic journey..why are people all these years later intent on still using such primitive gear as a rag boat ????

I bet you Capt Cook could show you how to catch a fish Pinhead ;D

What choice do I have though? 4.55CC polycraft off gladstone (hang on, thats where I bought it...) or a 7m yacht? I am going to turn up in the rag boat and show you all up!

PinHead
27-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I bet you Capt Cook could show you how to catch a fish Pinhead ;D

What choice do I have though? 4.55CC polycraft off gladstone (hang on, thats where I bought it...) or a 7m yacht? I am going to turn up in the rag boat and show you all up!

LOL Andy..good on ya..show em up..I won't be there ..so go for it..LOL

NEWBY
28-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Bloody hell Andy...
Give me my car back ya tree huggin windy boat steerer.....;D

NO SAIL BOATS....Damn I am getting sabotaged before the virgin is even broken...

NEWBY
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Righto the tight lines classic has called their dates as 12th 13th and 14th August so we will follow with 19th 20th and 21st as the Gladstone Motorworld Offshore Classic.
I will post many more details over the coming months so stay tuned.

Owen
07-11-2010, 07:40 AM
On the prizes subject.
Back when I was IPSC pistol shooting they used to have a big prize table an laid out all the prizes on it.
The winners were called an got to pick the prize they wanted.
It worked well because if the winner already had something he could get something he or she actually wanted.
It was quite common to see someone pass over more expensive items simply because they didn't need them.
It also meant that winners of lesser grades had the chance at better prizes quite often.

Best of all most people walked away happy with what they got.
No more "what do I need another bloody whiting rod for"

finga
07-11-2010, 08:14 AM
On the prizes subject.
Back when I was IPSC pistol shooting they used to have a big prize table an laid out all the prizes on it.
The winners were called an got to pick the prize they wanted.
It worked well because if the winner already had something he could get something he or she actually wanted.
It was quite common to see someone pass over more expensive items simply because they didn't need them.

They do that for the Friday night meat raffles in Talbingo too.
Brilliant system :)
And not everyone wants a green Alvey do they Trophey?? ::)

MEGA'bite
07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
fuel card great idea, as we all know we burn plenty of it fishing

NEWBY
08-11-2010, 05:44 AM
some more good stuff for me to put up.
Cheers guys,
Appreciate the help.
The fuel card thing is getting more and more popular.
Pre loaded Visa Cards is another.
All depends on what company wants to do what I suppose.
I start the calling and begging in January February.
So keep the ideas coming...
The more I can get the more I can raise for VMR and ECOfish

rat_catcher
14-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Damn....now I gotta get my butt into gear and get another boat! Newby sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into this. I have put the dates in my calendar.

My only question is you state fishing times in one of your earlier posts, but a lot of people like to troll right on dawn and dusk, which your times would rule out.

Any thoughts on that one?

I know this isn't a bottom bashing gig, so fishing all night is probably not warranted, but maybe one of the days allow an earlier start or later finish. Maybe won't work with the guys doing the drinking, but just an idea anyway.

NEWBY
15-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Damn....now I gotta get my butt into gear and get another boat! Newby sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into this. I have put the dates in my calendar.

My only question is you state fishing times in one of your earlier posts, but a lot of people like to troll right on dawn and dusk, which your times would rule out.

Any thoughts on that one?

I know this isn't a bottom bashing gig, so fishing all night is probably not warranted, but maybe one of the days allow an earlier start or later finish. Maybe won't work with the guys doing the drinking, but just an idea anyway.

Bugger....Hadn't thought about that one....
Fair call though.
I know there is a reason that the fishing only goes in daylight hours. I will find out and get back to you.

rat_catcher
15-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I know there is a reason that the fishing only goes in daylight hours. I will find out and get back to you.
Thanks. Not a big deal but worth investigating anyway. I actually think a pelagic only competition is a good idea. Every time I go trolling the crew always wants to give up early and go bottom bashing. At least this way I can tell them we have to keep trolling! ;D

rat_catcher
15-11-2010, 07:19 PM
If I can get a barge or mother ship to take fuel out to Wistari Reef which is about 40nm out and we use Wistari as an overnight base.
I think this is a great idea, but would want to have a good hard think about how this will all work.

If you are running 3 x day long fishing sessions, are you going to give out prizes each night? If so wouldn't that mean everybody would have to travel back into Gladstone for the prize sessions?

How will having a barge at Wistari and boats anchoring overnight affect the social aspects of the comp? I know for a lot of people the social aspects are a big drawcard.

I think you are onto something good though. The Capricorn Bunker Group is a beautiful part of the world.

NEWBY
16-11-2010, 06:21 AM
I think this is a great idea, but would want to have a good hard think about how this will all work.

If you are running 3 x day long fishing sessions, are you going to give out prizes each night? If so wouldn't that mean everybody would have to travel back into Gladstone for the prize sessions?

How will having a barge at Wistari and boats anchoring overnight affect the social aspects of the comp? I know for a lot of people the social aspects are a big drawcard.

I think you are onto something good though. The Capricorn Bunker Group is a beautiful part of the world.

Wont be a nightly thing mate.
Fish 3 days then back to base for the wind up.
This type of fishing is too expensive to keep coming in every night.
Some boats will travel 70 + mile to get to the big blue ground.
Fish friday sat and sunday from 7-12 then home for the presentation and wind up.

rat_catcher
16-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Wont be a nightly thing mate.
Fish 3 days then back to base for the wind up.
Got it. Thanks.