PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel for running out of Gladstone and Yeppoon?

CT
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I’m getting a new tank for my 5m Cruise Craft (Ficht 90) and am trying to figure out how big to go. Its roughly 75 km to North West from Gladstone so I was thinking around 150 L. This allows 1 L/km out and back and I should do better than that I would think.

How much fuel do others in similar size rigs carry?
Cheers
Craig

jtpython
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I have the 5.5 cruise craft 140 Mercury and have been 95 km east the other side of Douglas from yeppoon and put a 20 litre extra tank of fuel into my 140 litre tank and come back in a 20 knot SE with no fuel drama's and still had a 1/4 tank left. Just thinking 150 litre add's a fair bit of weight for ya
And pending on weather if your on throttle alot

CT
05-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Cheers mate. I've seen the reports from some of your big runs. Its a long way out there! Looks like I might be getting carried away with a 150 though.

Thanks
Craig

Moonlighter
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
You must have some idea surely of how many km's/litre you currently achieve on your boat with the Ficht 90?? Surely you'd get something close to 2 km/litre??

I can only relate my experience with my Tohatsu TLDI90 where I got easily 3 kms/litre although on a more easily pushed 4.8m plate boat, and I currently get an easy 2.3kms/litre or better out of my Surtees 5.5 plate cuddy with 115 Suzuki 4 stroke.

If you can work it out so you select a tank size where you end up with say 30-50% in reserve at the end of a normal trip, that would be a good starting point and leave you some capacity if the weather turns nasty.

Cheers

ML

Winf
05-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Old saying, "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire."

I really don't enjoy fishing if I am wondering if I have enough fuel on board to get home and then spend the whole time watching a fuel guage. Takes all the fun out of it for me and you will limit your fishing options if another more viable fishing strategy comes to light once you get to where you want to be.

Moonlighter is spot on - know what you can do comfortably on your rig with a good reserve just in case.

A 150k round trip with my 5.5m centre console with 115 Suzi is within my comfort zone on a 130L tank but I would probably still carry an extra 20L-40L.

PADDLES
06-10-2010, 08:28 AM
i agree with winf, the last thing you need on your mind when you're out and about is "am i gunna run out of fuel". i reckon squeeze in the biggest tank you can.

and winf, looking at that piccy in your avatar, how are ya ever going to fit that thing in your esky?

Spaniard_King
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
What if you get the chance to have an overnighter out around the islands.. you'd be wishing it was a 250l tank then.

I have 230 under the floor and I am in the process of expanding that to 400L

Noelm
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
yep, make the tank as big as you can comfotably fit in, it is no different to put in (say) $100 twice, or $200 once at the servo, if you do long trips, a big tank is not something to wish you had, it is a necessity! but also remember you may be pushing around a lot of weight, so choose tank location carefully.

CT
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Good info all round.

You must have some idea surely of how many km's/litre you currently achieve on your boat with the Ficht 90?? Surely you'd get something close to 2 km/litre??

Thats part of the trouble! Its a family boat thats been repowered since I had it last and it hasn't done any real work to get a clue as to what sort of economy to expect.

but also remember you may be pushing around a lot of weight, so choose tank location carefully.

I was going to put it length ways between the stringers roughly midship (between the seats). The intention was that it would have the weight almost central in the boat. Sound about right?

Ally Jack
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I think a tank of 150ltrs would be big enough for that boat with the 90.

I have a Seafarer Vagabond with twin 155 FICHT Evinrudes and run out about 50-55NM from Gladstone and use 210-250ltrs depending on weather/weight/total distance/etc. I have 190ltrs under the floor currently and carry 7 jerries to make up the rest. Refuelling at sea is a chore at the best of times and cuts into fishing time.

My tank is in between the stringers also, and I'm currently looking at extending it to 300ltrs+ by removing the kill tank and most of the stepdown into the cabin.

Ally Jack

CHOPPER 2
06-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Go as big as you can. I have a Seafarer Viking 5.2m in which I put a 170 litre tank, midship. Nice not to worry about running out of fuel even if weather turns bad.