PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder

Professional Amateur
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Just about to purchase my first yak and am need of assistance to what sort of fish finder to buy, couldnt find anything in previous posts. I'll be using in estuaries/dams and offshore although i dont think ill be going out mch deeper than 10m. I only want to spent upto 200 bucks

Any help owuld be great

cheers
:)

tunaticer
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
The Garmin 140 is a good resolution 5" diagonal display in black and white that goes for the $200 mark. Basic and easy to use and customise and much better than using a screen 1/2 the size even if it is colour (colour models start just under $400)
They also have a good solid mount so you can leave them mounted to save the electical connector damages. Mine remains mounted on my yak for the past 18 months without a drama and transported upside down on the racks.
You can not do that with humminbirds or eagles as thier mounts do not cope with it. The more you unplug and replug the connectors the more wear you get and more chances of damaging something. I assemble mine first up with dewatering fluid and marine grease to keep the water out.

LostNearBribie
06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Mate I will send you a PM.

Steeler
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Avoid Humminbird unless your eyesight sees through fogged screens !.

And TT is right regarding the quick disconnect of the Humminbirds, flimsy at best.

Steeler

URAGANGI
11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
pro-am On my Rosco Bass catcher 14ft canoe I'd just recently installed a CUDA 300 by Eagle. The purchase was for $90 original price was around $185 + The place of purchase was BCF at harbour town gold coast. The unit suits me fine it has all the bells and whistels you need. Tunaticer has some good tips I'd follow those.
One tip I use one wet days is a clear plastic bag straight over the unit. At the bottom of the unit, secure bag with an elastic band or similar. and after use I cover the conector cable with a corner of a plastic bag then seal with tape this helps too keep the weather of your conector pins.
hope this has helped?
Link: www.bcf.com.au (http://www.bcf.com.au)
Cheers Gav.