PDA

View Full Version : anchor winches

Fiction
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ################ anchors.
Although reasonable expensive they seem to be an excellent solution for small anchor wells. The read great on the website.

ShaneC
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
they are awesome mate. i used to have a lewmar.... rubbish in comparison

Chimo
03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi F

Just read about the new Woolf drum winch in the latest F & B. States its good on power too even with only one battery.

The old version was good but the new well based winch sits in not on the deck and looks very sound. All the electrics are under the deck and so out of the weather. Jeff Woolf who makes them is an ex pro shark fisho so he had a bit of an idea about whats was needed. Worth a look I reckon.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Pic of Indeck model from pg 42 F & B No 170

Hell Boy
03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey Fiction,

I got the Mini Stress free anchor winch with a SARCA anchor on my Stabi. It works really well, i wouldn't own a boat without it after using it over the last year.

although it needs a dual battery set up if your going to anchor in deep water offshore and move around a lot, i have to look at getting a dual battery system myself if i decide to keep the boat.

Cheers,

Bryn

Fiction
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
thanks for the info. hopefully i can fit it in the anchor well. I have a haines signature 542f not much room in the well but will try now i have had some good reports.
they are awesome mate. i used to have a lewmar.... rubbish in comparison

Fiction
04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks im very interested in them but not sure if it will fit i have a haines signature 542f not much room in the well but hoping it will go in

wetryin
07-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Recently upgraded the BC with the stressfree. Was a little apprehensive at first after using only reef anchors and anchor balls. After having it now almost 6 months its a dream to have and better still dont have to climb in and out the anchor hatch to retrieve. I think once I almost couldnt retrieve it, so with the sarca anchor stuck on 9mile reef off tweed I just took up the slack line, drove over it and pulled it up.
Your boats over 5m then no problem, if you can put it on.
Anything smaller than 4.8 and if stuck on the reef I would be cautions pulling the nose of the boat down when pulling it up.
I would recommend it. Fairly expensive at $3k but well worth while.

ShaneC
07-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Thats the best thing about it I reckon. With the Lewmars and similar there is still a need to tie off if anchoring overnight or risk damaging the clutch, plus the lifting power is negligible imho. With the stress free I have found if the anchor gets stuck, 99% of the time the winch will straighten prongs under its own power, if not I just power off with my motors and the pick will give. Put a thermal fuse on it, run it on its own independent battery (mine can be charged from the cranking batteries via a switch if needed), and you wont look back. I saw at the boat show they have a free fall kit available now, that would be the ducks guts, I dont have it but am looking at retro fitting one...... cheers.

Almako
07-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I purchased the free fall version and generally don't use that option. But i generally anchor in pretty shallow water with the Sarca and Stress Free.
When i'm off shore if i anchor i still use a seperate reef anchor and ball retriever. More so because i really don't want to have to have to folk out for a new Sarco because if it gets stuck there's no retrieving it from 60+ metres. But i am interested in hearing that some of you are using them offshore.
By the way the best thing about a drum winch is that you don't get rope tangles. And no more arguing with the bride because she didn't drop it as quick as you would like.

ShaneC
07-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I use a separate anchor as well mate as I generally anchor in 100+ metres. But I am more than willing to put a few hundred metres of braided rope on the stress free and giving it a crack... If/ when, I'll let you know.

borryking
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I saw at the boat show they have a free fall kit available now, that would be the ducks guts, I dont have it but am looking at retro fitting one...... cheers.

ShaneC you won't be able to retrofit one easily if at all, because the NG series winches have narrower drums to allow the release lever to fit between the drum and the mounting frame. The only way I could see it working is to get a new frame and shaft made up, then retrofitting the release lever, solenoid, switch panel, etc. Would be more hassle than its worth in the end IMO.I've got the NG mini and love it.

ShaneC
08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I was talking to the dude at the boat show, it can be done, but it is a bit painful on the wallet. Basically you send your unit to them with $800 and they retrofit the free fall option and send it back to you. I believe they replace just about everything in order to do it. It's not a priority for me atm, but one day I'll do it....

Fiction
09-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I purchased the free fall version and generally don't use that option. But i generally anchor in pretty shallow water with the Sarca and Stress Free.
When i'm off shore if i anchor i still use a seperate reef anchor and ball retriever. More so because i really don't want to have to have to folk out for a new Sarco because if it gets stuck there's no retrieving it from 60+ metres. But i am interested in hearing that some of you are using them offshore.
By the way the best thing about a drum winch is that you don't get rope tangles. And no more arguing with the bride because she didn't drop it as quick as you would like.

thanks yes the wife is very important hence the name stress free!!!

borryking
10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I was talking to the dude at the boat show, it can be done, but it is a bit painful on the wallet. Basically you send your unit to them with $800 and they retrofit the free fall option and send it back to you. I believe they replace just about everything in order to do it. It's not a priority for me atm, but one day I'll do it....

Fair enough, sounds as though they would be replacing everything except for the frame and motor.

tin can marlin
11-10-2010, 05:23 AM
By far the best one you can buy i think Wayne would be hard to beat on price at stones corner marine.

hakuna
11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Got mine recently off ebay out of south Australia delivered to my front door $400 cheaper than the Bris boat show
Cheers