PDA

View Full Version : Rod building weekend

Stuart
01-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I’m toying with the idea of organizing another rod building weekend. I know heaps of people are itching to do one so let’s have a show of hands? Like every other weekend we have conducted there will be a small fee to cover lunch tea and Coffey each day.
Now this is idea is in its absolute infancy so don’t get to excited.

Stu

Beast1965
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I will be in this

Stuart
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Pinhead has offered his house for the rod building weekend. Pinhead has always offered his house for the weekends which is very generous. So at this stage it’s just a matter of making a date in around a month’s time.

Stu

Stuart
01-10-2010, 02:11 PM
MOds, can we make a sticky please?

Stu

sid_fishes
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
i,m in
good on ya sue and greg[ geez you guys dont learn do ya]
wheres ROZ????

trymyluck
01-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I'd be in, built the odd surf rod but they were pretty ordinary in the looks department..... Been toying with the idea of building a rod lathe for a while and having a bit of a go at it.

Mark

Stuart
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Im working on dates and number at present and will have to work in the Greg and Sue.

Stu

Searaider 2
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Please add me to the very interested list .
Thanks

roz
01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
If my boss can give me time off work!!!

Adam_G
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I'll be in, date dependant.
Adam

Stuart
02-10-2010, 01:06 PM
At this stage we are looking at the 4th and 5th of December. There will be a maximum of 15 people for the two days so it’s a first in best Drest. Send me a PM if you are defiantly coming, any of those that get in late can still get on the list if any one cancels. There will be a small token fee to cover the meat and snags for the barby along with some grog to keep as all laughing. The day will start 8.30 am and go till 4 pm in the arvo each day. If you can bring a lathe or two that would be a great help. Things you will need to bring are as follows. Will advise on address.

Razor blades
Thread
Guides and tip
Reel seat
Fore and rear grips
Butt cap
Old rod
New blank
Epoxy for coating
Glue “24 Hour and NOT 5 minute”
Thinners
Old rags
Nail clipper “You will see on the day”
masking tape

some $'s for lunch etc.

Stu

Stuart
02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
The addresse is 4 Ballinderry Street Everton Park. The small fee to cover everything will be $7 this includes the grog, coffee and tea and a bbq each day. You will also need to bring a chair because there simply wont be enough to go round. It will be a great weekend for all and you will learn heaps. Many thanks goes to Greg and sue for putting up with us for the weekend yet again.

Stu

Searaider 2
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Geday Stuart / Pinhead ( Greg ) ,
Unfortunately I'm out as the dates clash with another Xmas breakup.
Thanks

trymyluck
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks Stuart/Greg in advance, the $7 fee doesn't seem anywhere near enough........ ;D

Mark

Adam_G
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I have no luck with these rod days. Missed the last one due to wife's Bday, this one clashes with my boy's 1st birthday. Maybe next time.

Thanks to all who are offering there time anyway.

Adam

grave41
03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Stu, count me in maybe even Reuben.
Graham

sid_fishes
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
well, at this point in time, i must say that i,m very peeved, as i think im going to miss this event.
due to ongoing injury to my back i will have to miss this gathering
i was so looking forward to it, i had organised some great stuff from the states .
but my loss someones gain
to those who want to learn stu ,roz and graham are great .cheers guys
ian
ps if you need another lathe for the w/end just let me know

Bream_Reaper01
04-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I have not been to one yet but only asked a few weeks ago if these were still held.Please count me in if there is still room.I will bring along all my questions,someone will sure be sick of me asking so many.

Stuart
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
So far we have 6 people confirmed and have 9 spots left to fill.

2DKnBJ
Trymyluck
Beast1965
Breamreaper
Grave41 and son

Stu

Fish_gutz
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
If these are the rods that are going to the kids/charity etc I would like to contribute. I wont be able to attend but have plenty of old rods to donate for bits and pieces etc. I`m at 4017 if anyone wishes to drop by and pick up the gear. just pm me. Thanks Andrew

finga
11-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I'll go I suppose.
There's always got to be at least one loser for everyone to poke fun at.

sid_fishes
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I'll go I suppose.

lol

god i love that

trymyluck
12-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I'll go I suppose.

This will confuse them, 2 of us to poke fun at...;D

trymyluck
12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
So whats thw go on the weekend, are we all going to build a rod each or are we going to get to sit back, drink piss and watch one of the masters at work....................;D My main desire is to learn enough to build a decent surf rod that not only performs but looks pretty.........My last one did not look pretty. But for the weekend i'd be happy to do a offshore heavy spin/bait rod, so if anyone has some suggestions as far as blanks that would suit I'm all ears......;D

Mark

finga
12-10-2010, 06:12 PM

lol

god i love that

This will confuse them, 2 of us to poke fun at...;D
Oh crap. Another typo.
I meant to type.... There's always got to be at least one loser for everyone to poke fun at...... and I cannot see Lucky Phil's name on the list??
::)

PinHead
12-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Mark,

if as per the previous years, you each build a rod of your choice..the first year someone built a rod that resembled a cran jib..but it did look good at the end...I don't remember who that was, do you Ian ???

Stuart will be the one to tell you what he has planned..he runs the show.

Lucky_Phill
12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
If these are the rods that are going to the kids/charity etc I would like to contribute. I wont be able to attend but have plenty of old rods to donate for bits and pieces etc. I`m at 4017 if anyone wishes to drop by and pick up the gear. just pm me. Thanks Andrew

No Andrew, this weekend is for rod building.

The weekend is for those that want to learn to build a rod from scratch from a professional rod builder ( Stuart ) and also for those that want to upgrade or refresh their skills.

I will however keep in mind the great offer and when that Rod Repair Day comes around, I'll post up the details and we can sort those spare rods. Thanks.

I will be at the rod building weekend, of course. Did someone mention beer ? ;D

Cheers Phill

DaveB
12-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Got room for 1 more? Can't make both days but would love to squeeze in for one of them.

Cheers
Dave Boyle

Stuart
13-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry guys, I should have posted in a bit more detail in relation to the rod building repair side of things? If you have an old rod you want repaired then bring it along with the replacement parts and we will take it apart and re do it the correct way. If you want a new rod built then bring the blanks, reel seat, grips, thread and guides along and I will assist you in assembling it. You will need to bring the gear I mentioned at the start regards glue thinners and everything else.

Stu

PinHead
13-10-2010, 04:45 PM
can everyone please bring a chair also..will save me from hiring them this time around.

Lucky_Phill
13-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Greg,

I have 7 spare chairs and 3 spare tables.... nope, 4 spare tables... :)

Phill

Stuart
13-10-2010, 06:16 PM
You plan on using all that space mate?

Stu

BrAdAsS
13-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi guys, Im new here, I don't know anyone here so far but saw this thread and am interested in attending. How many spots are left?

Stuart
13-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Still ahve 5 places left mate. PM me with your details so I can lock you in.

Stu

PinHead
14-10-2010, 05:58 AM
The tables would be greatly appreciated thanks Phill. If you need a hand to get them over here just holler. In previous years, the tables and chairs have cost about $100 to hire..I must be getting tight in my old age..LOL

finga
14-10-2010, 07:05 AM
I can chuck a table or 2 on the roof as well.

I'll bring a lathe doodad or 3 as well to make the rod turning a bit easier for the ones who haven't got anything to spin their rods on.

Do you need another rod all bound up ready for the finish Stuart??
If so I can whip a rod up for that purpose.

What sort of scones would you like Greg?? Plain or fruit or pumpkin??

Stuart
14-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Scott that would be great mate, just remember to wash your hands after tinkering with your 100 motorbikes this time.

Last time you bound a rod for me to coat, the coating literally fel off the rod because there was so much oil and crap on the rod.

Nothing looks better than 1 billion fish eyes in the coating due to oil in the hands. And bring pumpkin scones mate, they are the best.

Stu

Stuart
14-10-2010, 11:12 AM
We have 3 places left for the rod building weekend so get in fast if you want in.:o

Stu

finga
14-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Last time you bound a rod for me to coat, the coating literally fel off the rod because there was so much oil and crap on the rod.
Stu
Mate, that was Phil's fault. It was probably rolling around in the back of his ute for a week.
I never have a problem with finish...well hardly ever anyways. ;)

PinHead
14-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Scott..you going to do another pizza wrap on Phill's rod for him again ???

Pumpkin thingies are the best

sid_fishes
14-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Mark,

if as per the previous years, you each build a rod of your choice..the first year someone built a rod that resembled a cran jib..but it did look good at the end...I don't remember who that was, do you Ian ???

Stuart will be the one to tell you what he has planned..he runs the show.

looks better now with my trade mark weave[ if i,m allowed to have it Doc]
i,ll bring it up and show you some time greg

ian

finga
14-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Scott..you going to do another pizza wrap on Phill's rod for him again ???

Pumpkin thingies are the best
I just ordered the thread. ;D

I'll get Rosa (my second mum) onto the pumpkin scones then. ;)

wamjam
15-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I really really really !!!! would like to go to your rod biulding weekend but Im in the wrong place .
I even got the map out to check how far Brissy is from Mackay so I could do a weekend dash but 950 k's is a bit far.
If there is a next one....hopefully I can make it.

Scott

2DKnBJ
16-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Scott
It would be cheaper and quicker to fly down.
If you change your mind you have a place to stay and i'm only 5 min from Pinheads place.

Cheers Dazza

dogsbody
16-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm in for 2 people. I got a rod here that's been in the "process" for about 2 years now and this will give me the push to finally finish it off.

Dave

Stuart
16-10-2010, 11:07 AM
1 spot left guys.

Stu

Target
16-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Guys

Being a member of the old Sydney Rod Buildiers club, and since moving north, it would be good to catch up with some others and chew the fat ;D

Might even get some rod building in too.

See you guys there

Adrian

wamjam
17-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Scott
It would be cheaper and quicker to fly down.
If you change your mind you have a place to stay and i'm only 5 min from Pinheads place.

Cheers Dazza

Gday Dazza , I did check the airfare prices and they are bloody cheap !!!. Next time.:-[
Scott

Stuart
19-10-2010, 07:44 PM
There are now precisely ZERO places left. If you still want to come then send me a PM and I will put you on a waiting list in case some pulls out.

Stu

DaveB
20-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Adrian! Mate - catch up with you at the weekend. Awesome!

Target
27-10-2010, 08:56 PM
G'Day Dave, will be good to catch up - I'll give you a call when I get a chance

Adrian

Target
27-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Guys

Just a thought - if anyone wants to build a rod over the weekend, and doesnt want to spend too much money, we could order in some OEM style blanks -> read cheaper end blanks. Would probably have to get them from one of the big suppliers from the states as I dont know anyone locally that stocks this sort of thing. The blanks that come to mind would be in the region of $15 to $20 each for light to medium, 6 to 7ft IM6 graphite spinnig blanks. If theres any interest, we can place an order and get them shipped in and save some $ on postage.

Any takers?

I am happy to organise this.

Regards
Adrian

PS - I built some rods on OEM blanks from this supplier about 8 years ago, and they are all still going strong, and get more use than most other rods I own, the quality of graphite is not up there, but neither is the price, and they have proven very durable.

finga
28-10-2010, 07:48 AM
You mean Mudhole blanks??
Nice blanks for the money and now's the time to order in.

I'm keen for some more :)

Target
28-10-2010, 12:31 PM
You mean Mudhole blanks??
Nice blanks for the money and now's the time to order in.

I'm keen for some more :)

Thats the ones - didnt want to spell it out too much though. $US to $AUD is pretty good and it makes these pretty good value for what they are.
Let me know soon as the order will have to go in next week so we get them in time. send email to argh71 at yahoo.com - the PM box is too small here. Shipping would obviously be split, but they can put a few blanks in a tube and is makes it affordable then.

Regards
Adrian

finga
30-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Oi Ian...are you going to bring your weaving gismo??

I wouldn't mind having a go at a very simple weave this year.

sid_fishes
01-11-2010, 06:21 AM
scott i,ll bring them up.
what kind of weave are you going to do? a single colour weave is an easy 1 to start with
cheers
ian

Owen
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Scott,
Why not start with something simple.
Like your name?

:LMAO:

finga
02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah, good one Owen. :)
We have a vinyl cutter and do a few signs for people around the traps and that design is what we started putting on as a bit of a joke. The old middle finger and then signs written afterwards so it'll be finga signs....
Now the young fella's just want the finga for some reason.

And a bit of trivia for you fella's. Palfinger cranes' first logo was the middle finger but they had to change it due to public outcry. Now it's the index finger.
How's that for useless crap to be stored in some ones brainbox??

But back to the story....So how big would that design be in A thread?
How long do you reckon a complete novice would take to do it?

And thanks matey. Thanks for the thought and time taken to create a masterpiece.

Now. Where's Phil's rod???
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-017.GIF

Owen
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Scott,
The aproximate finished size is on the layer details page.
Actual results depend on how tight you pack and the tension on the wrap thread.
It's fit on a bream rod though.
Took all o 10 minutes I s'pose.
I didn't do any tidying up to speak of, so you couuld easily change it a bit to make it look better.

It's a pretty basic weave, so just about any goose should be able to do it.
Probably the only tip with one like this that has threads that only stay visible for one or two turns is not to tighten them too much as you can pull the wrap thread under them down below the level of the adjacent threads and it (the design thread) won't be visible as the adjacent wrap threads tend to go over the top of it.

This is how it SHOULD be
......... _
OOO_/O\_OOOThis is what happens if you tighten the thread too much

OOOO_OOO <- These threads will go over top of the design thread
. ...._/O\_

finga
02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Perfect. Thanks so much Owen.

So if we send Phil up the road to get a loaf of bread we could have it on and a coat of resin on before he gets back.
I'm thinking black background and hazard orange finger. :)

trymyluck
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Perfect. Thanks so much Owen.

So if we send Phil up the road to get a loaf of bread we could have it on and a coat of resin on before he gets back.
I'm thinking black background and hazard orange finger. :)

Love it, but I would have thought given the colour of his poison then pink on a black background may have been more his style.........::);D

2DKnBJ
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Love it, but I would have thought given the colour of his poison then pink on a black background may have been more his style.........::);D

Now that is classic.
Would look good on a black blank.

cheers Dazza

finga
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
See if this works.
Goodo then..it works...
Owen here's another finger.
This is the one we bung on signs we do.
Does it come out any better then yours??
It is actually a font available from here. It's the capital M
http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=great+head

Owen
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Does it come out any better then yours??

Dunno,
Give it a whirl

Lucky_Phill
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I hear you........................... :rifle:

LP

finga
10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I have to pull out of the week-end for the Saturday.
Apparently the cook and I are off to a Christening.
And I can't not go to the Christening seeing it's FOR MY FUTURE GOD-DAUGHTER!!!
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-096.gif

But I'll drop a heap of stuff like dryer's and lathes and stuff off at Phil's beforehand....and see ya's on the Sunday.

Bream_Reaper01
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Are we there yet.....bugger another couple of weeks.My 2 blanks turned up this afternoon.Only bringing 1 to this weekend though.

finga
17-11-2010, 07:05 AM
I just see Mudhole do T-shirts now.
Pity we didn't know about them a little while ago and got some made to commemorate the occasion.
http://www.mudhole.com/Gear/Custom-T-Shirts_2

trymyluck
21-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey guys
Just a quick question, whats available as far as accommodation in the area, was thinking of swagging it somewhere and fishing the night but the way the weather is just might put up with a motel room close to a pub.........:-?;D

Will have to pull my finger out this week and get some gear together or I may be a spectator.......;D

Mark

2DKnBJ
22-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey guys
Just a quick question, whats available as far as accommodation in the area, was thinking of swagging it somewhere and fishing the night but the way the weather is just might put up with a motel room close to a pub.........:-?;D

Will have to pull my finger out this week and get some gear together or I may be a spectator.......;D

Mark

PM sent.

Cheers Dazza

trymyluck
22-11-2010, 07:01 PM
PM sent.

Cheers Dazza

Thanks Dazza, be good to meet up with you and everyone else to put some faces with the names.

Mark

PinHead
24-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Stuart..how many do we have coming ??????

Stuart
25-11-2010, 09:57 PM
15 unless someone hasent told me their not going.

PinHead
26-11-2010, 07:56 AM
thanks Stuart..just needed to know so we can organise some tucker.

trymyluck
26-11-2010, 11:45 AM
thanks Stuart..just needed to know so we can organise some tucker.

Do you want us to bring anything???? I was going to grab some beersticks from Tiaro, nothing like clogging the old arteries up.........;D

Mark

PinHead
27-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Do you want us to bring anything???? I was going to grab some beersticks from Tiaro, nothing like clogging the old arteries up.........;D

Mark

anything is welcome Mark but all is under control